We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Religous sites

Derry, United...
Level Contributor
139 posts
3 reviews
Religous sites

what other religious sites would be with in a hours drive of assisi.

is there much to see at montefalco

Derry, United...
Level Contributor
139 posts
3 reviews
11. Re: Religous sites

Are there good connections from Assisi to Montefalco and Orvieto

Level Contributor
2,543 posts
12. Re: Religous sites

Assisi and Orvieto are well connected by train, check the site trenitalia.com (put the destination Orvieto - Santa maria degli angeli: from Santa Maria degli angeli you'll take a bus to Assisi, but don't miss the Porziuncola at Santa Maria degli angeli)

To reach Montefalco, take a train from Santa Maria degli Angeli station to Foligno, and from Foligno the bus e411: here you'll find the time schedule for week days (feriale). Probably there are no buses during weekends and festivities.

…umbriamobilita.it/public/…20e411.html

Plan wisely the trip to Montefalco, there aren't many buses during the day.

Pine Island, New...
Level Contributor
23 posts
15 reviews
13. Re: Religous sites

Well since you asked...Eremo delle Carceri is not to be missed! This tranquil spot remains one of my favorite places to visit in Umbria (and that's saying ALOT!). My first visit was in 2005, followed by 2007, 2010 and most recently in July 2015. Nothing has changed, nor is it likely to. The atmostphere is peaceful and tranquil and the 7 Franciscan brothers and 3 nuns who call this sancutary home are friendly, welcoming and eager to talk with visitors. I speak Italian so this was no problem. At least one of the brothers, Andrea, speaks English too. Mass is held in the small chapel built into the hillside. There a massive rock outcrop in one of the walls. The courtyard provides a wonderful view of the valley as well as the surrounding, welcoming and shady forest. A great place to escape the heat in Assisi and S.M.A. If you happen to be visiting in autumn, go in the very early morning to catch the misty fog. It's magical! Avoid the exhausting hike up to Eremo and call my favorite taxi driver, Luciano Trinoli (also a well known, local musician), 39 366 399 1221. Tell him I refered you and I'm sure he'll treat you with extra special care. There is no place on TripAdvisor to review cabbies or I'd write him a 5 star review. He is very knowledgeable and friendly. He went out of his way to help me when I needed assistance (because I was a female traveling alone) and he and his wife are now considered good friends.

Depending on whether you plan on attending services or not, I would allow for an hour to just wander around the small chapels and grottos whre San Francesco and his fellow Brothers prayed and slept. The trails in the forests offer sculptures, benches for quiet meditation but no picnics are allowed on the grounds. If you wish to picnic there are tables at the trailhead leading back to Assisi.

If you want a beautiful hike down the mountain you must exit Eremo and head UPHILL a bit first to the trailhead by a small picnic area. It is only about 4K down to Assis and the views are well worth it. Grab a coffee and sandwitch at the small booth outside the front gate. Francesco has a couple of tables set up near the taxi drop off and his wife also offer lodging at their Bed & Breakfast down the hill. He is a very friendly, chatty fellow. Not sure if he speaks any languages other than Italian though.

If you are at all interested in the life of San Francesco or are just looking for a break from the crowds then Eremo delle Carceri is not to be missed.

Pine Island, New...
Level Contributor
23 posts
15 reviews
14. Re: Religous sites

Well since you asked...Eremo delle Carceri is not to be missed! This tranquil spot remains one of my favorite places to visit in Umbria (and that's saying ALOT!). My first visit was in 2005, followed by 2007, 2010 and most recently in July 2015. Nothing has changed, nor is it likely to. The atmostphere is peaceful and tranquil and the 7 Franciscan brothers and 3 nuns who call this sancutary home are friendly, welcoming and eager to talk with visitors. I speak Italian so this was no problem. At least one of the brothers, Andrea, speaks English too. Mass is held in the small chapel built into the hillside. There a massive rock outcrop in one of the walls. The courtyard provides a wonderful view of the valley as well as the surrounding, welcoming and shady forest. A great place to escape the heat in Assisi and S.M.A. If you happen to be visiting in autumn, go in the very early morning to catch the misty fog. It's magical! Avoid the exhausting hike up to Eremo and call my favorite taxi driver, Luciano Trinoli (also a well known, local musician), 39 366 399 1221. Tell him I refered you and I'm sure he'll treat you with extra special care. There is no place on TripAdvisor to review cabbies or I'd write him a 5 star review. He is very knowledgeable and friendly. He went out of his way to help me when I needed assistance (because I was a female traveling alone) and he and his wife are now considered good friends.

Depending on whether you plan on attending services or not, I would allow for an hour to just wander around the small chapels and grottos whre San Francesco and his fellow Brothers prayed and slept. The trails in the forests offer sculptures, benches for quiet meditation but no picnics are allowed on the grounds. If you wish to picnic there are tables at the trailhead leading back to Assisi.

If you want a beautiful hike down the mountain you must exit Eremo and head UPHILL a bit first to the trailhead by a small picnic area. It is only about 4K down to Assis and the views are well worth it. Grab a coffee and sandwitch at the small booth outside the front gate. Francesco has a couple of tables set up near the taxi drop off and his wife also offer lodging at their Bed & Breakfast down the hill. He is a very friendly, chatty fellow. Not sure if he speaks any languages other than Italian though.

If you are at all interested in the life of San Francesco or are just looking for a break from the crowds then Eremo delle Carceri is not to be missed.

15. Re: Religous sites

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 29 July 2016, 02:18