We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Feb 2009 Ski Trip to Switzerland

Berwick...
Level Contributor
40 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Feb 2009 Ski Trip to Switzerland

My son and I are looking for a upper-intermediate ski week in the Swiss Alps. Its almos all about the skiing. Scenic beauty and the rich history of Switzerland are also important.

Its just the two of us and the budget is important as we are travelling for the east coast of the US.

Can anyone advise a resort town with fairly easy access from the airport? Top end skiing, accommodations close to the slope, etc.

Thanks so much and Happy New Year!

Matt

switzerland
Level Contributor
292 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Feb 2009 Ski Trip to Switzerland

when in february are you planning to go? it's school holidays then (different dates, in zürich feb 9-22) and lots of places will be full. i'd book quickly!

Anchorage, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Anchorage, Zermatt
Level Contributor
17,079 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Feb 2009 Ski Trip to Switzerland

Hi, you have lots of choices but many may be fully booked already. Of course, I'm sure you know that budget and Switzerland for "top end" skiing don't go hand-in-hand! But that doesn't mean it is going to break the bank!

First, you do need to move quickly to get rooms. It will already be difficult particularly in the less expensive range.

I would stop at your local travel agent and grab a brochure for package tours just to see which resorts look like what you want or, if you are familiar with resort names already, go to

myswitzerland.com

to do some research. It's the Swiss Travel Office webpage in English. Or you can try the name of the resort dot ch. For example, Zermatt's website is

zermatt.ch

Many Swiss towns and villages have a web site with this kind of address.

You don't say where you are arriving - Zurich, Geneva? Most resorts are within a four hour train ride from either and the trains leave from the airport terminals. As you aren't planning to do other travel within Switzerland on this trip, I would suggest you get what is called a transfer ticket and you must get these before you leave the States. They are round trip tickets good for travel from a point of entry into Switzerland to a resort and back to a point of entry. Travel has to be by the most direct route and each way has to be done in one day so you can't use it to sightsee. However, it is often the least expensive way to make the transfer from airport to resort. You can order them from gemut.com or ricksteves.com.

I think you would be very happy with the skiing and history and definitely the scenery at Zermatt. A lot of the original village still exists (as opposed to many places where modern hotels have taken over), there is a tremendous history of mountain climbing, and, of course, there is the Matterhorn. The skiing is mostly good intermediate to expert and you can ski over the top and down to Cervinia, Italy for lunch - sort of a fun thing to do! The view from the Klein Matterhorn (Little Matterhorn) is fantastic and you get there using a cable car that is the highest in Europe and covers an incredible span. Take a look at the website above and see what you think. It takes about 3.5 hours from either Geneva or Zurich airports with trains every hour at least. I saw some great fares from Philadelphia to Milan on US Airways some months ago and you can get to Zermatt fairly easily from Milan in about 4 hours though the transfer tickets aren't good from Milan to the border so you have to buy that portion - maybe $25 each in 2nd class. Oh, 2nd class is just fine for your train travel.

Others will chime in here with their recommendations as well. Hope you have a great trip!

Berwick...
Level Contributor
40 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Feb 2009 Ski Trip to Switzerland

Thank you both so much for your post. I suppose it is unlikely that a last minute trip to Switzerland would be a 'budget' trip. We are going to start looking in earnest now. I will check out Zermat, that sounds great. My wife and I were just in Milan this fall. It would be great to fly in there and take a train into Switzerland. Thanks for the input.

Matt

Anchorage, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Anchorage, Zermatt
Level Contributor
17,079 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Feb 2009 Ski Trip to Switzerland

Hi, MattPro, when you check out Milan as an arrival airport, you can use Swiss Rail's website

www.sbb.ch/en

for the English pages

to get the train schedule from Milan Central to Zermatt. You will have one change in Brig on the majority of itineraries. You probably already know that you have about an hour's transfer from Milan Malpensa into the city to Milan Central station.

Have fun pulling this together and holler if we can help!

Berwick...
Level Contributor
40 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Feb 2009 Ski Trip to Switzerland

Thanks again.....

It is coming together. Anybody heard of the Hotel Bristol? They have a reasonable rate and it seems to be in the center of town. Are the lifts hard to get to? Can we rent quality equipment there, or should we schlep our own?

Matt

Anchorage, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Anchorage, Zermatt
Level Contributor
17,079 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Feb 2009 Ski Trip to Switzerland

Hi, the equipment is great - I take my own boots only because I have a tough time getting boots that are comfortable and mine are! It certainly isn't worthwhile to take your own stuff with the possible exception of boots but friends tell me the boots are fine as well.

The Bristol is fine. You can check out the reviews here on TA by going to the Zermatt forum and then clicking on the hotel link on the left.

Have you looked at the Zermatt website? You can see the hotel's location by looking it up under the hotels and then you can see where the lift stations are by looking at the village map. The Gornergrat train goes from across the street from the mainline train station, the Matterhorn Paradise gondola goes from the south end of Schulmattstrasse (same street as the Bristol) and the Sunegga is on the north side of the village on the east side of the river. the ski bus is great and nowhere is more than a couple of blocks from a ski bus stop.

Hope this helps.

7. Re: Feb 2009 Ski Trip to Switzerland

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11 August 2009, 12:19