We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Europe via Eurail

Pittsburgh...
Level Contributor
21 posts
Save Topic
Europe via Eurail

We're planning our trip to Europe next spring: Start in London; taking Eurostar to Paris; after Paris, travelling to Lucerne; then from Lucerne to Lugano; Lugano to Florence; Florence to Rome. I'm having problems with the Paris to Lucerne segment; what's the best route to go; want to go overnight with fewest changes in trains; would like a private sleeping compartment for 2. Taking the William Tell Express between Lucerne and Lugano. I think I can work the connections/trains for Lugano/Florence and then Rome.

Thanks

Wichita, Kansas
Destination Expert
for Wichita, Kansas
Level Contributor
4,083 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Europe via Eurail

I checked the DB, SBB and SNCF websites and it is tough for Paris to Lucerne.

For a daily overnight train with 1 connection and sleeping arrangements, I only find train D 469 departing Paris Est at 22:42 arriving Basel SNCF station at 04:50. Then a 15 minute walk to Basel SBB station. Wait 1 hour, then IR 2159 departs Basel at 06:04 arriving Lucerne (Luzern) at 07:13. Pretty rough !

I think I would opt for the 08:40 or 10:30 TGV departure from Paris-Gare-de-Lyon to Geneva (Genève) connecting on to Luzern, but the 08:40 departure has a 1 hour layover in Genève and does not run on weekends.

Mannheim, Germany
Destination Expert
for Zurich, Mannheim
Level Contributor
13,801 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Europe via Eurail

There is a TGV from Paris Gare de Lyon to Bern (and on to Zürich) departing at 7:44. You can go to Bern (arr 12:34), change in Bern (26 min waiting time) and take the next train to Lucerne at 13:00 (arr. 14:05)

While you are in Bern, you shouldn't miss it. Most tourists race to Lucerne without looking right and left - and Bern is a beautiful city as well.

Toronto, Ottawa
Level Contributor
187 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Europe via Eurail

make sure to check the website seat61.com or something like that, just search "man in seat 61" or something along those lines.

it is a VERY helpful and detailed website about train travel on eurail all through europe and other railways around the world (with pictures of sleepers and everything)

it's created by a railway officer or something, in any event, i'm not doing the site any justice.

i found it extremely helpful in planning my trip for this september across europe with my railpass...

Pittsburgh...
Level Contributor
21 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Europe via Eurail

Thanks to all for your assistance. I'm not sure how we're going to work it out. We were planning on visiting the chateuax in the Loire Valley Friday and then return to Paris about 8 pm and then take a train to Lucerne. We may adjust and possibly spend a day in Berne.

Thanks!

Boston
1 post
Save Reply
5. Re: Europe via Eurail

Your best bet would be to check out railpass.com for stuff like that. I did the same kind of trip last year, and I booked it with them and it was virtually painless. Good luck and have fun!

Wichita, Kansas
Destination Expert
for Wichita, Kansas
Level Contributor
4,083 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Europe via Eurail

To: "ALC2005"

Any of the numerous companies that sell rail pass are first convenient and second expensive.

If you wish to review a general description of rail travel in Europe, you may read my comments at: tripadvisor.com/…1431840

and feel free to add your own comments.

Haverhill, United...
Destination Expert
for Switzerland
Level Contributor
6,217 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Europe via Eurail

If taking the sleeper stay on the night train to Zurich, arrives 06.24, have a liesurely breakfast and then get one of the frequent trains to luzern.

The William Tell Express is steam ship from luzern to Fluelen then train to Lugano although if the weather is bad you can miss out the ship and take a direct train from Luzern. When travelling on the train the majority of the best views are on the left hand side.