We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Zermatt Skiing Difficulty

London
Level Contributor
4 posts
14 reviews
Save Topic
Zermatt Skiing Difficulty

My Partner and I are planning our first European ski trip in January. We are looking for a quaint ski town, spa hotel, good restaurants and pubs, and long, easy cruising runs. After much research, we narrowed it down to Grindelwald and Zermatt, and are leaning toward Zermatt. The only concern is the difficutly of the ski runs. We are comfortable with the easy blues in Telluride, and can cope with the difficult blues. Could anyone help us compare the difficulty of the Zermatt trails to the Colorado slopes? Thanks!

New York, NY
Level Contributor
2,450 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
41. Re: Zermatt Skiing Difficulty

Yeesh--To continue the discussion, your skiing experience apparantly does not extend east of the Rockies, where most Americans live and ski. Spend some time at small, crowded, icy, Eastern ski areas, as I sometimes do, and you will long to be back among those slow moving Austrains and Swiss, who now look a lot faster. And, your idea of what is an "average" American skier might just change. I suggest that when those people get to Zermatt, their level of intimidation will be as great as yours is ho hum.

Actually, I don't suggest it, I know it for sure.

Living in Spain
1 post
Save Reply
42. Re: Zermatt Skiing Difficulty

Well just thought I´d check out the Forum to find out about the skiing etc in Zermatt as I will be visiting early Feb.... Advice starts off okay but then turns into a competition between Countries, Skiing Abilitiy, Experience, who spends the most money or who takes the longest to get there!!!! What a farse.... I think that you have confused everyone who merely was hoping for an unbiased opinion!!! I am not going to say where in the world I am from or what I percieve to be my skiing abilities, was just hoping for some useful info !!! Very disappointed :-(

Martigny...
Destination Expert
for Switzerland
Level Contributor
36,691 posts
175 reviews
Save Reply
43. Re: Zermatt Skiing Difficulty

I am sorry that you are dissapointed. Most of us DE's here on the TA site really try to provide accurate information based on our own experience. Sometimes others have different views, which is normal, and I think that this is what happened on this thread.

If I were you I would sift through what was said, and take into account the opinions stated by frequent, and long-standing visitors to Zermatt (Kileysmom, FarmerMike amongst them) who, because of their experience there have a real depth of knowledge about the place, and then take the opinions of one or two-time visitors as just that - opinions - worthy of reading, certainly, but depth of knowledge and experience - most likely not!

I hope this helps you put things into perspective!! And I also hope that you have a great time in Zermatt once you get there.

New York, NY
Level Contributor
2,450 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
44. Re: Zermatt Skiing Difficulty

snowflake50 --Sorry to have disappointed you. However, there is no such thing as an unbiased opinion. If what you want is a guide book, there are plenty to choose from. In my biased opinion, however, you will learn more about Zermatt on this forum than you ever will from any guide book.

Anchorage, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Anchorage, Zermatt
Level Contributor
17,416 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
45. Re: Zermatt Skiing Difficulty

Hi, actually, snowflake50, you came into the middle of a thread where the original question was about how Zermatt compares to other resorts for skiing and other amenities. So the original question asked for information about how others found Zermatt and that's what the debate was about.

I'm sorry you feel cheated. Most of us put in many unpaid hours trying to give people good advice so they will enjoy their holiday and I don't think any of us are trying to make people angry or to be farcical. If you have a specific question you would like answered, please start a thread and we will do our best to provide you with the information you want. I see you are a newcomer to TA and I hope you will find other threads more to your liking.

White Rock, Canada
Level Contributor
197 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
46. Re: Zermatt Skiing Difficulty

We loved skiing in Zermatt and it is my favorite place in the world really. I have been there in the summer and the winter. Magnificent location, the Matterhorn is like a huge magnet that just draws you to it. We were there for the millenium celebrations so that is now ten years ago but it is such a special place. We had great weather as we arrived just after a snowstorm. It was wonderful and easy enough to ski, you can find runs for everyone. Try the Italian side for sure. Lucky you, go to Zermatt and take me in your suitcase!

White Rock, Canada
Level Contributor
197 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
47. Re: Zermatt Skiing Difficulty

Hi Snowflake, I just read how disappointed you were with some of the replies. I don't blame you and find that often happens on these boards and you just have to skip all that. Actually, I ski at Whistler all the time as we have a fabulous place there BUT...you cannot beat the Alps. I think you will have such great memories if you go to Zermatt. It is just so different from our North American resorts. I love Whistler for sure, but I think Zermatt is tops and the village is very special.

White Rock, Canada
Level Contributor
197 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
48. Re: Zermatt Skiing Difficulty

I have to stop this, sorry me again. A wonderful place to stay is The Hotel Ambiance in Zermatt. Run by a great caring family, great food and ask for a room with a view of the Matterhorn, you might be lucky and get it. We did.

New York, NY
Level Contributor
2,450 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
49. Re: Zermatt Skiing Difficulty

skiwhistler--Why on Earth should you be disappointed with replies to any question on a thread in a Forum like this one? The OP asked for opinions about Zermatt skiing and the Village in general. People gave them, some positive, some negative, some calm, some heated. That is the way TA is supposed to work. You gave opinions about skiing and your favorite hotel, as rightly you should, and without any apology for being biased. You are, as most of us are, a good TA citizen.

Snowflake, came into the middle of this particular thread and was upset because people were acting properly in sounding off and giving opinions. If she wanted answers to specific questions, all she had to do was post them on a new thread. She, undoubtedly, would have received specific answers. When a post asks for a simple fact, the answers will be straightforward and unbiased. When opinions are wanted, a clash of ideas is to be expected.

As I said, TA Forums are not guide books, and that is all to the good. Of course, that is my biased opinion. Others will surely differ!!

White Rock, Canada
Level Contributor
197 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
50. Re: Zermatt Skiing Difficulty

Oops sorry, thanks for clearing that up.