We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Swiss trip 4/4/2011 to 4/10

Which Zurich hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Bradenton, Florida
1 post
Save Topic
Swiss trip 4/4/2011 to 4/10

My wife and myself plan to fly into Zurich on 4/4/2011.

Our main objective is to see the Jungfrau. However, we have concern that we want to see it on a clear day. Obviously, we do not know what day or days may be clear. Therefore, our plan was to buy a swiss flexi rail pass and check the weather daily. When we see that it will be clear, we will head to area.

Our concern is that we cannot make hotel plans because we do not know when we will be where.

Can you make last minute hotel plans in April in Interlaken/Grindelwald/Lucerne, and Locarno area?

Does anyone have suggestions for hotels in these cities at the last minute. (or how to get reservations other than over the internet? Is there a last minute web site?)

We were hoping to see Ballenberg while we wait.

All suggestions appreciated

Garmisch-Partenkirch...
Destination Expert
for Switzerland, Montreux, Oberammergau, Garmisch-Partenkirchen
Level Contributor
13,022 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Swiss trip 4/4/2011 to 4/10

Hi gorman195464,

I wonder if you could give us some more information -- where will you be before you'll be in the Jungfrau area?

Even if the weather is clear when you leave for the Jungfraujoch, if it takes you two or three hours to get there, it may well be clouded over by the time you arrive. Your best bet is to be nearby (in Wengen or Mürren or someplace like that), then on a clear day, you can ascend immediately. So it may just be a good idea to stay in the Jungfrau area for two or three nights, and then pray that one of the days will be clear.

Have fun as you plan!

s

Zurich, Switzerland
Destination Expert
for Zurich
Level Contributor
3,062 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Swiss trip 4/4/2011 to 4/10

It's wise to go up to Jungfraujoch only is the weather will be good. But as swandav mentionned the conditions in the mountains are hard to predict and sometimes pretty changeable. You could check the webcams before you leave if you have internet access or watch Swiss tv in the morning - they have a weather channel with live pictures from many mountain destinations.

In general, it should be possible to make last minute reservations in April, as long as it's not over Easter. It's not high season and most hotels won't be booked out. I don't know of any specific last minute website, but usually a good way is to book on the local tourist office website (mostly www.nameoftown.ch) or on the page of Switzerland Tourism, www.myswitzerland.com

Hyderabad, India
Level Contributor
16 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Swiss trip 4/4/2011 to 4/10

Hi All

I am currently in zurich for a month and want to visit the Jungfrau region in may 1st week along with a night stay in Interlaken. Can someone please help me in planning an itinerary for the same so that i can leave from Zurich on Frinday night and return on Sunday night?

Also the best passes for the same, as I will be travelling alone.

Thanks

Rohit

4. Re: Swiss trip 4/4/2011 to 4/10

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 June 2013, 03:17