We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cycling in Holland

Exeter, United...
Level Contributor
71 posts
72 reviews
Save Topic
Cycling in Holland

I am interested in the North Sea Cycle Route and also in cycling around Holland in general. I am thinking about going in the summer and taking the ferry over from Harwich, train from London or a plane to Amsterdam. I would like to know which routes people would recommend for a cycling holiday around the Netherlands taking in places of interest and also where there would be to stay in terms of camping/hostel/b&b/low cost accomodation where bikes could be stored? Would it be cheaper or easier to take our own bikes from the UK or hire bikes once in Holland - if hiring bikes, who/where would be a good bet? Is it a good idea to cycle on from Holland into Germany/Denmark or just stay within the country? All help and advice much appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Luxembourg City...
Destination Expert
for Luxembourg City
Level Contributor
1,613 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Cycling in Holland

Germany and Denmark also have good cycle paths, so in that sense, crossing the border is not a problem. I guess it mainly depends on how far you would like to cycle. How long would your trip last? Are you an experiences cyclist?

A map of cycle routes can be found here: http://www.opencyclemap.org/

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
22 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Cycling in Holland

Hi,

we're planning a similar cycling holiday to Holland in Aug this year, how did you get on with your planning... ? find any useful advice, routes, nice B&B's etc?

Kind regards

The Conlan's

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
22 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Cycling in Holland

Hi,

we're planning a similar cycling holiday to Holland in Aug this year, how did you get on with your planning... ? find any useful advice, routes, nice B&B's etc?

Kind regards

The Conlan's

Exeter, United...
Level Contributor
71 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Cycling in Holland

Hi,

In the end we've decided to book a hotel in The Hague and to hire bikes there and cycle to different places each day. We chose this option as it worked out easiest and cheapest for us in the end.

http://www.fietsverhuurdenhaag.nl/engels/ This company seems to be good for bike hire in The Hague area.

Sorry if I haven't been of much help!

Hope you have a good trip,

Thenewwales94

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
22 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Cycling in Holland

Ok ..... thank you

6. Re: Cycling in Holland

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 01 May 2013, 05:23