We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Residence permit for coffee shops

Community of...
1 post
Save Topic
Residence permit for coffee shops

I will be going to Maastricht on exchange for 4 months next September, and I have read that I need a residence permit to access the coffee shops and smoke. However, since I am an EU citizen, I don't need a special permit like this. How do I prove that I live there without a residence permit? Can I just get one anyway just for that purpose?

Thanks

Mentioned in this post
Maastricht
Maastricht
Limburg Province, The Netherlands
Maastricht Underground
Historic Walking Areas, Caverns & Caves, Historic Sites, Castles
Boekhandel Dominicanen
Architectural Buildings, Historic Sites, Scenic Walking Areas, Points of Interest & Landmarks
Basilica of Our Lady (Onze Lieve Vrouwebasiliek)
Sacred & Religious Sites, Historic Sites, Speciality Museums
Breda, The...
Level Contributor
3,607 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Residence permit for coffee shops

In order to stop the so called "drugs tourism", only people that are officially registered as living in The Netherlands are allowed to enter a coffeeshop in Maastricht. And it has been decided that the only allowed way to prove to a coffeeshop that you are registered in the Netherlands is to show them an official piece of paper that is called an "uittreksel uit het bevolkingsregister". This is a signed and stamped statement that basically just says that you are registered in the population register of the Netherlands. You can obtain it at the city hall of the city in which you are registered.

But regardless of whether you want access to a coffeeshop or not, if you want to stay in Maastricht for at least 4 months, you will have to register yourself with the city of Maastricht. And this is regardless of whether you need a residence permit or not. If I (a Dutch national) move to Maastricht or any other city in The Netherlands, I will also need to register in that new city.

For more info on registrering as a student, see https:/…help

Edited: 02 February 2017, 14:24
Mentioned in this post
Maastricht
Maastricht
Limburg Province, The Netherlands
Maastricht, The...
Level Contributor
40 posts
166 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Residence permit for coffee shops

NB if you want to get this certificate you'll have to go to the Gemeente (Municipality), have it printed and pay at least 12,-€. The validity is one year. The document could be useful but not necessary also for other purposes such as tax reduction request or something.

3. Re: Residence permit for coffee shops

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 February 2018, 02:18