We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Transport in Maastricht

United Kingdom
Level Contributor
23 posts
Save Topic
Transport in Maastricht

Am in Maastricht for couple of days. Are taxis readily available at train station, in order to get to hotel, do they accept card payments, what is the tipping regime ?

Is public transport easy to use ? Intend to spend day in centre area, shopping etc.

My hotel Is NH Maastricht.

thank you.

Edited: 04 July 2017, 10:44
Mentioned in this post
Maastricht
Maastricht
Limburg Province, The Netherlands
NH Maastricht
NH Maastricht
1,427 Reviews
Maastricht, The Netherlands
Van Eyck Antiques and Works of Art.
Art Galleries, Antique Stores
de VerwonderinG
Gift & Speciality Shops
Magnolia Thrift Store
Gift & Speciality Shops
17 replies to this topic
Colombo, Sri Lanka
Destination Expert
for Sri Lanka
Level Contributor
58,616 posts
212 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Transport in Maastricht

The hotel is 5 mins walk from Randwyck station, where quite some local trains stop. Bus is the best transport around, see 9292.nl/en for all options e.g. from hotel to city centre.

<Erik> & [Sandya]

United Kingdom
Level Contributor
23 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Transport in Maastricht

When i arrive in Maastricht I will be on train from Amsterdam via Utrecht, then when I leave Maastricht I will travel to Brussels via Liege, am I right in understanding I can use Randwyck station for both journeys ? Or do I have to go via the central station ?

Mentioned in this post
Maastricht
Maastricht
Amsterdam
Amsterdam
North Holland Province, The Netherlands
Utrecht
Utrecht
Utrecht Province, The Netherlands
Brussels
Brussels
Belgium
Liege
Liege
Liege Province, Belgium
Colombo, Sri Lanka
Destination Expert
for Sri Lanka
Level Contributor
58,616 posts
212 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Transport in Maastricht

Incoming you will arrive at Maastricht and would have an easy transfer to a local train to Randwyck. The Liege bound train indeed also stops at Randwyck.

Have fun,

<Erik> & [Sandya]

Mentioned in this post
Maastricht
Maastricht
Liege
Liege
Liege Province, Belgium
4. Re: Transport in Maastricht

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 04 July 2017, 16:39

United Kingdom
Level Contributor
23 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Transport in Maastricht

Thank you, is the ticket included to this station

Colombo, Sri Lanka
Destination Expert
for Sri Lanka
Level Contributor
58,616 posts
212 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Transport in Maastricht

Well for incoming buy a ticket Schiphol to Maastricht Randwyck, should cost less than 1 euro extra compared to a normal Maastricht ticket....

<Erik> & [Sandya]

Mentioned in this post
Schiphol
Schiphol
Haarlemmermeer, The Netherlands
Maastricht
Maastricht
Level Contributor
771 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Transport in Maastricht

For the train from Maastricht to Randwyck you have 2 options. 1. An Arriva train (very frequent) 2. An NMBS/SNCB train (to Liege, once an hour)

Now the tricky part :)

At Schiphol station you have to validate your ticket by touching in. If you choose option 1 (which would be the most logical option, you have to touch out your ticket in Maastricht at an NS validator and subsequently touch in at an Arriva validator. At Randwyck you touch out at an Arriva validator. If you go for option 2 (for instance if the train from Schiphop is delayed) no need for touching out and in at Maastricht. At Randwyck you touch out at the NS validator. These Belgian trains are running on behalf of NS on the Dutch part of the route.

Mentioned in this post
Maastricht
Maastricht
Liege
Liege
Liege Province, Belgium
Schiphol
Schiphol
Haarlemmermeer, The Netherlands
Maastricht, The...
Destination Expert
for Maastricht
Level Contributor
769 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Transport in Maastricht

Instead of public transportation renting a scooter might be an option. You could also explore the beautifull Hill Country around Maastricht. There's a rental Office within walking distance of the NH Hotel:

http://www.ladolceverhuur.nl/home/

Just a thought,

Cheers

Edited: 05 July 2017, 11:55
Mentioned in this post
Maastricht
Maastricht
Cork, Ireland
Level Contributor
7 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Transport in Maastricht

Am currently in Maastricht and a taxi from the Vrijthof to Hotel Maastricht (near Randwyck station) is working out about 17 euro. Not cheap !!!

Also, there are renovations being carried out on the station, and a taxi stand wasn't apparent to us, so we walked for a bit until we came across one. Might be worth asking at the station.

Edited: 06 July 2017, 04:58
Mentioned in this post
Vrijthof
Vrijthof
1,570 Reviews
Maastricht, The Netherlands
Maastricht
Maastricht
Whitchurch, United...
Level Contributor
2 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Transport in Maastricht

Hi, we often travel to Maastricht independently, & yes, there are taxis (normal to the right of the station as you look at it, & busses in front - at the left of the main/central station. (plus a small supermarket inside). But the walk from Wyke (where the station is, across the river to the centre of town, only takes around 15/30 mins. - we are in our 70's) Maybe longer if you have a heavy suitcase. The old city is well worth visiting.

Mentioned in this post
Maastricht
Maastricht
Reply to: Transport in Maastricht
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted