We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

No trams, (night) buses and metros on Sunday, November 20th

Which Amsterdam hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
New Jersey
Level Contributor
9 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
No trams, (night) buses and metros on Sunday, November 20th

I am arriving at AMS on Sunday 20th and I saw the message that there will be no trams, (night) buses and metros on Sunday, November 20th due to strike.

Can someone help me how can I get to Marriott Amsterdam?

Thanks.

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
3,441 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: No trams, (night) buses and metros on Sunday, November 20th

Take the Connexxionbus 197 to the Leidseplein which is not affected by the strike. You catch the bus outside of the arrivals hall and it costs about 4 euro one way.

Peace

Preston, United...
Level Contributor
17 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: No trams, (night) buses and metros on Sunday, November 20th

Are there any plans to deal with getting passengers around the city? Bus replacement etc? we are staying at the citizen M in the business district and it is going to be a trek getting back to the hotel sat night/ all day sunday. Is it still worth getting a 2 day tram pass when we arrive on Sat morning?

Thanks.

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
3,441 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: No trams, (night) buses and metros on Sunday, November 20th

In the past there have been no such arrangements made. I would be hesitant to buy a two day pass when you'll only be able to use it for one. You can catch the train to the Amsterdam Zuid station and walk to the hotel.

Peace

New Jersey
Level Contributor
9 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: No trams, (night) buses and metros on Sunday, November 20th

Thank you for advise.

For Connexxionbus 197, how I buy ticket?

Fort Worth, Texas
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
13,720 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: No trams, (night) buses and metros on Sunday, November 20th

on the bus from the driver...dont drop a big note on him

New Jersey
Level Contributor
9 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: No trams, (night) buses and metros on Sunday, November 20th

Thanks for the response.

Given there will be no tram, can you folks suggest what can be done on foot? I presume bikes will be available for rent. My wife and I are going first time Amsterdam and generally like more touristy attractions.

Thanks agian.

Colombo, Sri Lanka
Destination Expert
for Sri Lanka
Level Contributor
47,083 posts
166 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: No trams, (night) buses and metros on Sunday, November 20th

Well, from Marriott/Leidseplein you would hardly have needed tram or bus anyway. Amsterdam city center is quite walkable, and indeed you could also hire a bike.

Have a look at 'things to do' in the menu to the left to see all touristy attractions, and come back here when you have more specific questions.

All the best,

<Erik> & [Sandya]

Oregon
Level Contributor
542 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: No trams, (night) buses and metros on Sunday, November 20th

The strike won't only apply to Amsterdam, it will be for The Hague and Rotterdam too.

Staff from municipal transport companies are striking against reductions and outsourcing to private companies.

This is what shows up on the HTM (Hague) website:

http://www.htm.net/Pages/DEF/4/046.HTML

This is the first time I've seen them offer compensation of any type, although it's only for local folks with subscription discount passes.

And for GVB (Amsterdam):

gvb.nl/english/…Strike20November.aspx

Amsterdam, The...
Level Contributor
6,065 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: No trams, (night) buses and metros on Sunday, November 20th

The strike begins at 3 AM Sunday morning (let's say Saturday night for the party people) and goes to 1 AM Monday morning (let's say Sunday night for the party people). The ticket offices and information offices are also closed all day Sunday. I believe the first rounds of night buses will run up to just before 3 AM but I wil try and ask if I get a chance.

Amsterdam, The...
Level Contributor
6,065 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: No trams, (night) buses and metros on Sunday, November 20th

Just spoke to client service from the public transportation company (GVB) and indeed, if a night bus has a departure time before 3 AM from its start point then it will run.