We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best day trip while in Amsterdam?

Which Amsterdam hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Sarasota, Florida
10 posts
Save Topic
Best day trip while in Amsterdam?

My husband and I will be in Amsterdam for 6 days and are contemplating making the most of it by traveling somewhere else for a day.

I originally thought PARIS!! 4 hour train ride, but the hubby has been there and doesnt think its worth it:(

Should I force him...any reccomendations to make it appear more appealing to him?

Any other day trip suggestions??

Fredericksburg, Va
Destination Expert
for Fredericksburg
Level Contributor
825 posts
144 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best day trip while in Amsterdam?

Hello. Consider either Delft or Leiden, both nice Dutch cities to visit, or Brugges or Ghent in Belgium. All have very nice city museums, good restaurants, and good shopping opportunities. As for forcing your husband to choose Paris, do you really want to spend 8 hours on a train for such a short visit? Hope this helps, and enjoy.

Colombo, Sri Lanka
Destination Expert
for Sri Lanka
Level Contributor
50,500 posts
174 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best day trip while in Amsterdam?

Even Bruges or Ghent are almost 8 hours travel, out and return, so not really a day trip. Delft yes maybe (combinable with Leiden for same price), or Maastricht which is 2 x 2.5 hours and has lots of Belgian/French flavour also.

All the best,

<Erik> & [Sandya]

Sarasota, Florida
10 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Best day trip while in Amsterdam?

I definitely understand that 4 hours (8 total) trip for one day is a little extreme! I only considered it, because I have never been to Europe and I'm not sure when I will be back. Should we try and squeeze more in?

Amsterdam has always been at the top of my list...completely happy to just be going there, but I am an EXTREMELY indecisive person who over thinks everything:(

My husband is tall!!! Are the train rides horrible or can they be made fun/interesting at all? Is alcohol available...that always helps;)

Colombo, Sri Lanka
Destination Expert
for Sri Lanka
Level Contributor
50,500 posts
174 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best day trip while in Amsterdam?

The trains are quite luxurious compared to Amtrak short-distance trains yes ;-) Alcohol available at the stations and in the Thalys (Paris or Antwerp train) bar coach...

All the best,

<Erik> & [Sandya]

Philadelphia...
Level Contributor
290 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Best day trip while in Amsterdam?

I recommend doing your research on Paris to see what you would like to do while there. Although central Paris is not that big, it is spread out and you might end up spending more time going from one place to another before you get to see anything.

You should also post your question on the Paris forum.

Duluth, Minnesota
Level Contributor
4 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Best day trip while in Amsterdam?

Humm... I'd vote against Paris for a day trip. It's too big to really see in a day. Maastricht is a good idea.

Fort Worth, Texas
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
13,910 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Best day trip while in Amsterdam?

the dutch people as a whole are the tallest people on the planet....so your husbands tallness will not be a problem

Fort Worth, Texas
Destination Expert
for Amsterdam
Level Contributor
13,910 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Best day trip while in Amsterdam?

for a long day tour i would do a tri-city tour...take train to delft via haarlem..on return ( or on the way down if you prefer) you could hop off train in leiden and then haarlem..all on one train ticket...hell of a long day...but doable

Quainton, United...
Level Contributor
7,701 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Best day trip while in Amsterdam?

Amsterdam-Paris is only 3 hours 10 minutes, from 35 euros each way if booked in advance at www.thalys.com . Booking opens 90 days ahead.

But it would still be a long day and only enough to scratch the surface. Depends how keen you are to see a snapshot of it! I'd do it if it was my only chance ever to see Paris, but far better to come back and see Paris properly over a number of days.

Edited: 28 December 2011, 06:29
London
Destination Expert
for London
Level Contributor
18,511 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Best day trip while in Amsterdam?

Why not each do your own thing for a day? You get to see Paris and your husband can choose to go wherever he wants (or even just stay in Amsterdam).