We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Which Train station is closest to the Grand Place

Which Brussels hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Vancouver
Level Contributor
705 posts
52 reviews
Save Topic
Which Train station is closest to the Grand Place

Hi there...

My wife and I will be catching a train from the airport in Amsterdam and we have 5 different train stop options given upon entering Brussels namely... Central,Luxemburg,North, South or Zaventem(airport).

Upon leaving the train we'd like to check into a hotel near the Grand Place.

And now for some questions...

Which of the above train stations is nearest the Grand Place?

Are there any reasonably priced (100 Euros or less) good, clean ,safe hotels nearby? A two star is OK for a nights sleep.If not in the immediate vicinity, are there any close by?

Lastly....

After a night in Brussels, we want to get an early morning train to Brugge.

Is there a train station close to the aformentioned location in which to board a train to Brugge.

Which train company and where to get a ticket?

Many thanks.

I will do some of my own research and also see what you guys can come up with, so I can make these transictions as smooth as possible.

Cheers!

Brussels
Level Contributor
5,047 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Which Train station is closest to the Grand Place

< Which of the above train stations is nearest the Grand Place? >

Central Station - 5 minutes on foot from the Grand-Place http://g.co/maps/ny28m

< Is there a train station close to the aformentioned location in which to board a train to Brugge. >

Yes - Central Station.

< Which train company >

SNCB / NMBS - the Belgian national train company.

< where to get a ticket? >

At the station before you leave, or online in advance if you know exactly on what date you want to make the journey - same price in each case.

http://www.b-rail.be/nat/E/

Brussels, Belgium
Level Contributor
29,318 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Which Train station is closest to the Grand Place

1) Gare centrale (Bruxelles-central); IC trains from Amsterdam will stop there, while Thalys trains stop only at Bruxelles-Midi, although your ticket would cover you for free transfer on local train to Gare centrale.

2) I can only advise on location, not prices (see list of "Brussels hotels" on the left of this page, which you can order by price or by ratings), but ruling out the Méridien, Sandton, Centrale, Arenberg, etc., try Novotel "Off Grand' Place", Ibis ditto, Best Western Premium Carrefour, Moon Hotel, Aris Grand' Place, Aris Centre... Many Brussels hotels, aimed at business visitors rather than tourists, drop their prices at weekends and in August.

3) Gare centrale (trains to Brugge start at Nord and travel through Central and Midi). Belgian Railways = SNCB/NMBS. Ticket office in station (!) Cost: €13.50 single, €27 return on weekdays, €14.40 return on Sat/Sun.

Vancouver
Level Contributor
705 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Which Train station is closest to the Grand Place

Just wondering....

Are their any lockers at Central station to store our bags?

The reason I ask is that, after visiting Grand Place for a few hours, we might just want to move on to Brugge, although we might be pretty tired at that point, but I'm just considering the options.

I'm just wondering about how late the trains run to Brugge?

I'll see what I can find out.

In the meantime thanks, your help has been awesome!

Brussels, Belgium
Level Contributor
29,318 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Which Train station is closest to the Grand Place

Yes and pretty late, e.g. 23:00 arr. 00:02, 23:21 arr. 00:48, and 00:24 arr. 01:27. There are 2 IC trains an hour, usually at 00 and 21 mins past each hour.

Edited: 22 May 2012, 19:20
Vancouver
Level Contributor
705 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Which Train station is closest to the Grand Place

Yes and thanks!. I was just at the website looking.

I guess I should look first before asking, but perhaps maybe the excitement of travel is getting to me!!!

Anyways, thanks everyone for your help....much appreciated!

Goertschach, Austria
5 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Which Train station is closest to the Grand Place

We're going there, already booked tickets through website http://www.b-rail.be/nat/E/

Love you!*-*

Chicago
Level Contributor
6,201 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Which Train station is closest to the Grand Place

I don't know how long you are staying in Brugge (a place I loved, by the way) but if you are arriving from Vancouver that morning, then taking the train to Brussels, walking around Brussels, etc. I would really book a hotel near the Central Station and stay the night. I enjoyed walking around Brussels in the evening and just thinking about that much traveling, walking, more traveling, etc. is wearing me out. There are several hotels just steps from the station.

Vancouver
Level Contributor
705 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Which Train station is closest to the Grand Place

Thanks Warriorjan...

Your thoughts are exactly my plan.

We are defintley renting right near the Grand Place to make train connections a super simple transistion.

Yes there will be some jet lag and exhaustion, but we figured hey, lets get a major portion of the travel out of the way right away. If the plane isn't late we will make it to Brussels at a decent hour around 3 PM which is a great time to take things in.

I know it will be no problem for my wife because she always manages to sleep through plane and train rides. As for me, it's not likely.

Cheers!

Vancouver
Level Contributor
705 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Which Train station is closest to the Grand Place

We just got back from our first time in Europe and had a fabulous time, including our stopover at the Grand Place in Brussels.

Catching a train from the airport was smooth and easy and pre booking wasn't necessary. We took the slower train at half the price because of scheduling, the quicker train would have only gotten us there 1/2 hour earlier. It all worked out OK because the slower train enabled us to see the countryside, not in a blur.

The train station was a mere 3 minute walk from our hotel (The Centrale) and the Grand Place was about 7-10 minutes away making the Centrale Train station a PERFECT stopover for a visit to Brussels. Furthermore our train to Brugge the next morning was smooth and easy.

Many thanks to all who helped us!

Edited: 20 June 2012, 19:28
10. Re: Which Train station is closest to the Grand Place

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 June 2013, 00:15