We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Menin gate ypres

Crawley, United...
Level Contributor
2 posts
46 reviews
Menin gate ypres

Anyone help? we're in Bruges from 6th to 8th March and want to attend the Menin Gate ceremony on the 7th (or maybe the 6th) Don't want a full day tour and can't find anyone who will do the evening only trip from Bruges. Can it be done by train, has anyone done this recently? Have found posts from 2009 would like something more recent!

10 replies to this topic
Breda, The...
Level Contributor
5,918 posts
8 reviews
1. Re: Menin gate ypres

“Have found posts from 2009 would like something more recent!”

When you search on Tripadvisor, they do this strange thing where by default they sort the results based on “relevance”. If you want to see the most recent posts, you will need to change the sorting method to “date”.

You don’t need a tour to attend the ceremony at the Menin gate. You can easily travel from Brugge to Ieper by train. See the website of the Belgian train company for schedules and prices; belgianrail.be/jp/…en

Edited: 17 February 2018, 05:29
Champlon, Belgium
Level Contributor
9,541 posts
5 reviews
2. Re: Menin gate ypres

There is a 21.16 train from Ieper to Kortrijk with a connection there to Brugge, the total journey taking about 1½ hours. There will be plenty of time to catch this train after the Menin Gate ceremony. It runs both evenings.

Trains run every hour throughout the day and you always have to change at Kortrijk.

Note that what you call Ypres is actually Ieper (and was called Yper at the time of the Great War).

Royal Wootton...
Level Contributor
237 posts
52 reviews
3. Re: Menin gate ypres

FYI - we did the Last Post Ceremony at the end of a day long tour ( well worth it), but the ceremony lasted no more than 5 minutes!

It is worth doing, but I would suggest that you incorporate with a day / afternoon in Ypres as it is quite a long way to go for a 5 min ceremony.

Liverpool, United...
Level Contributor
20,304 posts
76 reviews
4. Re: Menin gate ypres

It's longer than 5 minutes. Well it has been on the two occasions that I have witnessed it.

Most people turn up 10-15 mins before the ceremony to get a good viewing point, plus you need to allow time before and after the ceremony to have a look around the memorial.

Buckingham, United...
Destination Expert
for Buckinghamshire, Somme, Winchester
Level Contributor
2,421 posts
2,195 reviews
5. Re: Menin gate ypres

I cant recommend how to get there and back, but I highly recommend you go to Ypres for at least the afternoon, visit Flanders Field museum in Cloth Hall, have dinner in one of the many restaurants and grab a good spot. It really is a good experience 🙂

sydney
Destination Expert
for Cambodia
Level Contributor
19,853 posts
86 reviews
6. Re: Menin gate ypres

+1 for Howlo's advice - Ieper is a lovely little city and you could easily fill an afternoon

Nowra, Australia
Level Contributor
450 posts
141 reviews
7. Re: Menin gate ypres

Definitely spend a day in Ieper it is spectacular in my opinion and you will not be sorry you’ve taken the time to really take in the beautiful little town.

With the build up to Anzac Day approaching also, there will be many Aussie visitors to the Menin Gate ceremony I would imagine.

So getting there early to walk around the beautiful gate and just look at how amazing it is would be a suggestion.

It gets packed early.

I went every night of our stay in Ieper. 5 nights in a row and I never tired of it.

Just beautiful.

Cheers

Lee

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
2,225 posts
164 reviews
8. Re: Menin gate ypres

We visited Bruges in January 2014. We had previously toured some of the Western Front battlefields and only wanted to visit Menin Gate. We found only one company at the time who were doing tours as most seemed to close down over December/January. The one we found and went with was Visit Bruges (link below). They picked us and about 7 others in Bruges and we arrived in Ypres with time for a short wander around the town, and then back to the memorial for the ceremony (which incidentally lasted longer than 5 minutes). In all a very moving experience but the other contributors are probably correct, you don't need a tour if the trains are running as they say. If you have the time I would take the advice of getting there by train and spending most of the day there and then train back afer the ceremony at night.

www.visitbruges.org

Royal Wootton...
Level Contributor
237 posts
52 reviews
9. Re: Menin gate ypres

Maybe as there were no wreath laying etc when we went last week, the ceremony was only 5 mins. From the time the fireman started to march, from the time they left the 'white spot' was 5 mins.

Just letting the OP be aware that the ceremony is worth attending, but incorporate it with more time in Ypres, as previously mentioned is a beautiful city.

We used Quasimodo tours from Bruges for the 'Flanders Fields' tour which was an excellent and well run tour, culminating in the Last Post ceremony.

County Durham...
Level Contributor
79 posts
48 reviews
10. Re: Menin gate ypres

For what it's worth having visited the ceremony on several occasions,and indeed it can only take 5 mins in itself it's worth spending time reading the wreaths which are laid around the memorial( noticing how far people travel for this somber experience,and indeed the age of some of the visitors) and also taking time to read and respect some of the thousands of names upon the wall.

Reply to: Menin gate ypres
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted