We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bruges in September

2 posts
1 review
Bruges in September

Hi, My husband and I are spending 3 days in Bruges in September and would welcome any suggestions in terms of places not to be missed, along with top 5:

Best café - for breakfast

Best place for lunch

Best restaurant

Best bar for local experience

Place/location/venue not to be missed.

Any suggestions welcome.

10 replies to this topic
London
Destination Expert
for Bruges
Level Contributor
999 posts
32 reviews
1. Re: Bruges in September

Best place for lunch / best restaurant - there are so many options in the city that it would really help us if you could give a bit more info.

Budget? Dietary requirements? Particular likes / dislikes?

For example it is no good us recommending somewhere that is €150 / head and serves only meat if you want to spend €50 in total and are vegetarian. The more clues you give us the more we can help make sure you get a great experience.

For breakfast there are a number of options that spring to mind - the €2 option in the HEMA department store, it really is pretty good for any money, let alone €2. There are also a number of fabulous bakeries come tea rooms that do great breakfasts, Patisserie Academie (owned by a former pastry chef at a Michelin 3 star restaurant), Prestige (recently re-opened at a new site near Academie) and Carpe Diem being 3 that spring to mind.

There are a number of bars that will provide a "local" experience - there are very few bars in the city that are poor - so I would suggest heading away from the main tourist areas and find one that takes your fancy. And you will also get to see some lovely parts of the city not always visited by day trippers.

2 posts
1 review
2. Re: Bruges in September

Hi, thanks very much for your initial response.

In relation to lunches and restaurants, we are both meat eaters and enjoy a very eclectic range of food and styles. In terms of budget a total bill of around €100 would be acceptable.

We love to experience the 'real' of the places we visit so anything anyway from the tourist areas is always a win for us.

Thanks

Helen

Quorn, United...
Level Contributor
189 posts
21 reviews
3. Re: Bruges in September

You might struggle to find many bars for ‘local experience’ unless you go further afield from the main part of Bruges, I’d certainly avoid the bars (and restaurants) in the main square. Just a few minutes walk from the square you’ll find plenty of smaller locations for dining etc. My recommendation is to wander around the town - you’re sure to find something.

Don’t forget, Bruges itself is a popular tourist destination and the restaurants etc are geared up for the tourist trade.

I’d recommend the canal boat trip, other than that I’d have to say walking around admiring the architecture etc is a ‘must do’

Champlon, Belgium
Level Contributor
9,117 posts
5 reviews
4. Re: Bruges in September

Look for places that have menus only in Dutch - they will be catering for, and pricing for, the local market and not for tourists. Belgians are very demanding when it comes to food, they expect good food well-cooked and good value for money.

Manchester, United...
Destination Expert
for Bruges
Level Contributor
1,796 posts
30 reviews
5. Re: Bruges in September

Menu only in Dutch in Bruges? Such as ?

Champlon, Belgium
Level Contributor
9,117 posts
5 reviews
6. Re: Bruges in September

Restaurants situated in the outer parts of Brugge, where people actually live and, surprise, surprise, speak Dutch, are likely to have menus only in Dutch. You might even find the odd place that has a menu (or, more likely, items on a menu) in West Vlaams but that tends to be used as a spoken rather than written language these days.

Manchester, United...
Destination Expert
for Bruges
Level Contributor
1,796 posts
30 reviews
7. Re: Bruges in September

So they should wander around the outskirts hoping to stumble across one of these ? Or do you have any helpful suggestions for them ? Perhaps a name or two .

Edited: 25 April 2018, 15:44
Manchester, United...
Destination Expert
for Bruges
Level Contributor
1,796 posts
30 reviews
8. Re: Bruges in September

Try the halve maan brewery tour, and lunch in their bistro, great quality and value with a few cold beers

Birmingham, United...
Level Contributor
6,461 posts
114 reviews
9. Re: Bruges in September

Hello helen , maybe try cafe craenenburg, located on the markt , so probably aimed more at us tourists but is a historic building with a traditional feel and considering its location fairly good value.

Atb steve

Edited: 02 May 2018, 09:47
Ghent, Belgium
Level Contributor
61 posts
210 reviews
10. Re: Bruges in September

@StockportBreaker: what Becasse means is that one should stay away from the ultra-touristic city center. In general, the "outskirts" are not that different but attract less tourists. You can practically find good restaurants and pubs everywhere if you dare to increase your perimeter a little bit.

TA has a very good choice of restaurants: https:/… even "De Halve Maan" is mentioned. ;)

Reply to: Bruges in September
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted