We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hotel/Neighborhood for 20s couple?

Ann Arbor
Level Contributor
15 posts
Hotel/Neighborhood for 20s couple?

Hi there! My girlfriend and I are going to be in Bruges for 2ish days on our trip around northern(ish) Europe in early September. We're looking for neighborhood (and hotel, to some extent) recommendations. We'd like to be within walking distance of bars/nightlife, especially beer-oriented bars, but also cool daytime stuff too(including touristy stuff.)

I'm a huge Belgian beer fan, so am looking for anything relating to that, particularly anywhere I can try the famed Westvleteren beers and hopefully buy some bottles to bring back to the USA (I have heard that it is sold in some bottle shops.)

All things considered, we'd prefer to public transit or cab during the day and walk back to the hotel at night than vice versa.

We don't want to do the party hostel thing - BNBs or hotels with private rooms and bathrooms are necessary, but nothing extravagant needed. I'd like to keep it under 70E/night.

As a special sidenote, I am planning to continue on to Paris - is it better to go Brugge-Lille-Paris or come back from Brugge to Brussels and take the Thalys? We'll have EURail passes.

Thanks TripAdvisors!

Haddington, United...
Destination Expert
for Haddington, East Lothian
Level Contributor
5,839 posts
238 reviews
1. Re: Hotel/Neighborhood for 20s couple?

We stayed in the Bryghia hotel in April which is a small modest hotel and very reasonably priced very close to the town centre and apart from taking a Segway Tour and a boat tour we were able to walk everywhere as Bruges is a fairly small town.

Wingene, Belgium
Level Contributor
529 posts
43 reviews
2. Re: Hotel/Neighborhood for 20s couple?

in Bruges everything is on walking distance!

city center diameter 1 1/2 miles only.

at the railwaystation there is a new etap hotel with

BASIC LOW BUDGET rooms

accorhotels.com/gb/…index.shtml

prices from €59.00 per room.

if your hotel is in the city center you can walk of course, but with luggage it's better to take a taxi or bus ('centrum') at the railwaystation.

westvleteren is officially NOT served in bars, cafés, etc. and NOT for sale in shops.

http://www.sintsixtus.be/eng/brouwerij.htm

'people' say that st.bernardus beer is simular or even...the same.

www.sintbernardus.be/en/beers.html#tripel

i think on weekdays there is 1 DIRECT train from Bruges to Paris Nord at 06.25 am. NO CHANGES !

of course there are more trains during the day with 1 or 2 changes.

enjoy bruges !

Edited: 11 July 2011, 06:32
Brussels, Belgium
Level Contributor
37,159 posts
3 reviews
3. Re: Hotel/Neighborhood for 20s couple?

Eurail passes require payment of a supplement if you want to take Thalys, whether this is all the way from Brugge (1 per day: early morning on weekdays, evening at weekends so people can do weekend/day trips on Sat/Sun to Brugge FROM Paris) or - after taking IC train to Brussels - from Brussels only, see www.eurailinfo.com/info-supplements.htm.

If you go via Kortrijk and Lille-Flandres, I believe you would still have to take TGV from there to Paris as there seem to be no non-TGV trains on that route any more; however, at least TGV trains leave from Lille-Flandres so you wouldn't have to change stations to Lille-Europe (Eurostar station, also for TGV to Paris-CDG airport).

You can check timetables on http://reiseauskunft.bahn.de/bin/query.exe/en just filling in Brugge as departure station and PARIS or Paris-Nord as arrival station, it will show you all possible connections for the day and time you select (does not have to be the exact date, but use an equivalent day e.g. weekday, Sat or Sun). Look in the "products" column for the type of train: with Eurail pass it would be better to avoid THA (Thalys) or IC+THA, via Brussels, and go for IC [RE] TGV which is via Lille.

I don't know what else you are doing but I hope you compared the cost of individual tickets for the trips you are taking before buying Eurail passes. It's quite hard to get value for money out of these in Benelux and one international trip into France isn't likely to be enough to get value for money in that country either - especially if that trip is on Thalys.

Edited: 11 July 2011, 06:57
Ann Arbor
Level Contributor
15 posts
4. Re: Hotel/Neighborhood for 20s couple?

thanks guys. i know westvleteren is rare, but some bars carry it (cambrinus in brussels for instance) - just wondered if there was a possibility for bottle shops too...

the eurail passes seem to really pay off once i add in germany. i'm doing germany, amsterdam, belgium, and france - and i get the youth rate with a $50 discount.

thanks for the hotel link!

Bromley
Destination Expert
for Bruges
Level Contributor
1,155 posts
27 reviews
5. Re: Hotel/Neighborhood for 20s couple?

Hi

Cambrinus in Philipstockstraat does have stock of Westvleteren on occasions.

There has been rumour that one of the beer shops carries it, but not when I have been there. The brewery are very strict about the non-resale of their beers so resellers are very rare.

If you want to try a few beers,

Cambrinus

http://www.cambrinus.eu/default.htm

and Brugs Beertje are two to start with:

http://www.brugsbeertje.be/index_en.htm

For things to do, start with the "Things to Do" link on the top left of this page and then look at the excellent posts from sabrina_ide, one of the destination experts.

if you have any questions on specifics after that, let us know.

6. Re: Hotel/Neighborhood for 20s couple?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 05 October 2012, 10:17