We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Brussels to Bruges by train

Amman
1 post
Save Topic
Brussels to Bruges by train

I plan to go from Brussels to Bruges for a day trip at the end of August. I'll be staying near the central train station. Would it be more advisable to reserve my ticket online or would it be possible to by it at the counter on the day of the trip. also is there more than one train service that travels to Bruges and do you recommend one over the other?

Brussels
Level Contributor
5,672 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Brussels to Bruges by train

< I plan to go from Brussels to Bruges for a day trip at the end of August. ... Would it be more advisable to reserve my ticket online or would it be possible to by it at the counter on the day of the trip. >

Normally no reason to buy a ticket online in advance. Buy it at the counter on the day of the trip - same price as online.

Cost for the return (round trip) journey is €15 ("Summer Ticket") on weekdays or €13,80 ("Weekend Ticket") at weekends.

If you are under 26 years old, you can buy a "Go Pass 1" ticket for €6,50 for each leg of the journey, i.e. €13 for the round trip. However, this type of ticket can only be bought online in advance, and is valid only on the day you specify when you buy it b-rail.be/nat/…index.php

< is there more than one train service that travels to Bruges and do you recommend one over the other? >

All trains in Belgium are operated by SNCB - a public company. There are 2 trains each hour from Brussels Central station to Bruges and the journey takes about an hour.

http://www.b-rail.be/nat/E/

sefora.b-rail.be/sefora/Sefora/berekenen.do…

Brussels, Belgium
Level Contributor
34,539 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Brussels to Bruges by train

Regarding your last query, there are in fact different varieties of train between Brussels and Brugge, including double-decker commuter trains that stop at every station - R or IR, I don't remember which: but it is quite clear from the departure board and yellow timetable displays, monitors etc. whether a specific departure is a faster or slower train. What you want are the InterCity (IC) trains headed for Oostende or Knokke/Blankenberge, which, as mentioned, leave Brussels twice an hour, from Gare du Nord, Gare centrale and Gare du Midi, in that order; and which, after Bruxelles-Midi, stop only at Gent St. Pieters before Brugge.

But it makes no different to the price of a domestic ticket whether you use a faster or slower train, or whether you buy it in advance or on the day of travel, online or at the station, from a ticket clerk or from a machine. What does make a difference is when you are travelling. You will be here during "summer ticket" offer (€7.50 between any 2 Belgian stations) and all year round there is a "weekend return" (Brussels-Brugge: €13.80) which costs little more than a standard single (€13.20).

Edited: 15 July 2011, 09:06
3. Re: Brussels to Bruges by train

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 04 October 2012, 18:15