We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Transportation from LONDON to BRUGGE

Calabasas
Level Contributor
30 posts
50 reviews
Save Topic
Transportation from LONDON to BRUGGE

Hi...

What is the most economical way of transportation from London to Brugge? Train or ferry? How is the ferry ride? How long? Thanks

Brussels, Belgium
Level Contributor
37,141 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Transportation from LONDON to BRUGGE

The most economical (from 15 GBP), but time-consuming way to travel from London to Brugge is by bus but this would take you maybe 9 or 10 hours. I believe there are direct buses, otherwise it is 8 1/2 to Brussels, and you could get off at Lille and change there. Buses to Brussels leave Victoria Coach Station at 08.15 (arr. Brussels 16.45), 09:30 (arr. 17.31), 14.30 (arr. 22.45) and there's an overnight service leaving at 21.00, arr. 05.30, see http://www.eurolines-pass.com/index.php?id=82 or phone (I think) +44-1582-404 511 (or google for National Express phone number).

If you were thinking of driving, there are various ferry options between the UK and Belgium, see http://www.directferries.co.uk/belgium.htm: the most common is Ramsgate to Ostend (4 hours), but most people here would travel via one of the French ports instead e.g. Dover-Calais (1 hour 10 minutes) - I think this is the service used by the buses. The Seacat service from Dover to Ostend stopped running a few years ago.

In my opinion, the most convenient way to travel is by train, Eurostar to Brussels Gare du Midi (3 hours) and change there for Brugge (+/- 1 hour). Fare will depend on how long in advance you can book, see http://www.eurostar.com/dynamic/index.jsp.

Also do not discount travelling by air, especially if you will be staying somewhere in or near London that is handy for an airport. You can often get special prices on British Airways and SN Brussels Airlines, all will depend on departure dates and times, how long you are staying and whether you are returning to London or not.

Remember when looking at timings that there is an hour's time difference between the UK and the continent, UK is one hour behind so you put your watch forward one hour when travelling to France or Belgium and back when travelling from here to the UK.

thewhitestguyever
1 post
Save Reply
2. Re: Transportation from LONDON to BRUGGE

I'm 18, and I went to King's Cross the day before I needed to leave and talked to someone in person there. They used my youth discount, and I lucked out and got a ticket for 45 pounds. From Brussels, I took an IC train to Ghent and then Bruges, using my eurail pass. On the way back, I plan to try the ferry.

Philadelphia Area
Level Contributor
2,386 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Transportation from LONDON to BRUGGE

For 45 GBP you can fly from London to Brussels Airport on Brussels Airlines. I just went to the site and grabbed a day in June since there is not a date listed.

Brussels, Belgium
Level Contributor
37,141 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Transportation from LONDON to BRUGGE

It is important to compare like with like. Central London to Brugge is one thing, any London airport to Brussels Airport, quite another. And the question is about getting from London to Brugge.

It is necessary to include in the cost of air travel the cost (not to mention the time) involved in getting from central London to Heathrow or Gatwick (train to the latter costs about €13), and then 45 GBP (€57) merely gets you to Brussels Airport: Brugge is an hour and a half and another €13.50 away from there by train. So the total price for this journey "by air" would be €83.50.

Important to mention, I think - as is the issue of whether the person concerned can benefit from youth fares, for instance.

Kelowna, Canada
Level Contributor
317 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Transportation from LONDON to BRUGGE

We are making the same trip in July. We looked into the bus and ferry, but decided it was just too long and cumbersome. We are budget travellers ourselves, but we chose the Eurostar for convenience. Our tkts were $96. USD apiece for fixed date, non-refundable tkts from London to Bruxelles Midi Station. We purchased them awhile ago. We will take the train to Brugges from Bruxelles.I can't remember the price I was quoted, but it was quite reasonable. To get the cheapest Eurostar tkts you have to be willing to commit to a date and purchase quite far in advance. Good luck with your decision.

Hampshire, UK
Level Contributor
103 posts
156 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Transportation from LONDON to BRUGGE

bateacher - I'm fairly sure that your Eurostar ticket from London to Brussels will allow you to travel on to any other location in Belgium (including Brugge) for no additional cost, provided you make the onward connection on the same day as your London to Brussels journey.

I'd suggest you check this with Eurostar, as I haven't actually done this myself, but I'm fairly confident it's correct. Don't pay an extra fare if you don't have to!

warrensburg,MO
Level Contributor
7,685 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Transportation from LONDON to BRUGGE

My Thalys train fare from Gard Du Nord, Paris was valid to any station in Belgium and I was told that it was the same deal from London St Pancras.

By the way the journey from London to Brussels is done in less than two hours and the journey to Brugge from Brussels is an hour. Worth factoring this in when you have to think about security, transfers and baggage claims and allowances when flying.

Kelowna, Canada
Level Contributor
317 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Transportation from LONDON to BRUGGE

Yes, I believe you're right. I just checked the Eurostar Website again and the tkt does say to Any Belgian Station. Thanks.

BTW--the price I paid is no longer available on that date so it does appear that the cheapest fares do go quickly. I booked mine 7 months in advance.

9. Re: Transportation from LONDON to BRUGGE

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 September 2009, 16:16
Get answers to your questions about Bruges
Recent Conversations