We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Algarve vs. Madeira Island

Minneapolis...
2 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Algarve vs. Madeira Island

Hello,

We are visiting Portugal next week and will be spending the first five days in Lisbon for a conference. We will have 5 days left to explore the country and are going back and forth between the Algarve region and Madeira Island as we don't think we have enough time to do both. Does anyone have recommendations as to which would be a better option? We enjoy traveling slightly off the beaten path and areas that are not overly touristy. Also looking for many photo opportunities. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated!

Glasgow Scotland
Level Contributor
2,116 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Algarve vs. Madeira Island

Hi, having been to both, and really liking both I would recommend Madeira. It has everything you have asked for and the photo opportunities are fabulous. If you decide on the Algarve I would suggest the western end, around Lagos for what you are looking for. I also like the far Eastern area around Tavira. Hope

this helps.

I'm sure others will be along to help.

Lisbon, Portugal
Destination Expert
for Azores, Lisbon, Portugal
Level Contributor
17,299 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Algarve vs. Madeira Island

Madeira

Leuven, Belgium
Level Contributor
1,022 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Algarve vs. Madeira Island

if you have a car,drive south,sesimbra,than in setubal take the ferry and keep drive south,you pass the lake Melides and then south of Sines you have the lovely little touw of Porto Covo with,in the north several nice beach coves ant in the south a big wild beach yill Vila Nova de Milfontes,further south you have the beach of Zambugeira do mar,the cross to Algarve a visit the beaches of Aljezur,

it's wild and spectacular,

Albufeira, Portugal
Destination Expert
for Algarve, Faro
Level Contributor
46,358 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Algarve vs. Madeira Island

kl1980g - I trust you realise that Madeira is 620 miles out to sea and a flight of about 90 minutes from Lisbon.

Madeira and the Algarve are both pretty touristy, most of the Algarve especially so. The suggestion directly above is a good one.

Minneapolis...
2 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Algarve vs. Madeira Island

Thank you all for the feedback. We do realize that a trip to Madeira requires a flight from Lisbon. With only 5 days to explore the country we wanted to get opinions on what the best option would be for us.

6. Re: Algarve vs. Madeira Island

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 29 August 2014, 01:21