We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Azores Getaway - TER Should you rent a car and which company

Boston...
10 posts
Azores Getaway - TER Should you rent a car and which company

Hello Lovely People,

I just booked the Azores getaway for a trip to Terceira Island, Azores for Thanksgiving month. I'm wondering if anyone has experience booking a car rental with Carflexi company? I'm debating if I should book a shuttle to/from airport or just rent a car. Carflexi seems to be a lot cheaper compared to other website so I just want to know if it's a good company with no major hidden fees.

I'm going with a friend and we love the outdoors, exploring, hiking, foodies...etc

Thank you so much!

Mora

8 replies to this topic
Massachusetts
Level Contributor
120 posts
40 reviews
1. Re: Azores Getaway - TER Should you rent a car and which company

You might want to check what is included in your tour. I did the AzoresGetaways trip in May 2015 and airport to hotel/hotel to airport transfers were included in the package, so I don't think you need to worry about transfers. AzoresGetaways sent a tour guide and bus to meet our plane and the guide distributed matierals for anyone wishing to book optional day tours around Terceira. We were then dropped off at our respective hotels. On the final day of out trip we were picked up at our hotel and transported back to the airport for our return flight to the USA.

I don't know anything about Carflexi so I can't help with that specific question. We rented our car prior to our departure from Economy Car Rental and picked it up at the Angra Garden Hotel where we were staying. There was a car rental office located in the hotel lobby...very convenient for us...reasonable cost..no hidden fees...decent vehicle. I would rent from them again without reservation but might rent by the day as desired rather than renting for a continuous 4-5 days because parking in Angra is difficult to find. If your hotel has parking this won't be an issue but the Angra Garden Hotel does not have parking. We also felt that we probably didn't need a car every day and should have spent more time seeing the sights in the city of Angra which is a designated National Geographis World Heritage site.

Boston...
10 posts
2. Re: Azores Getaway - TER Should you rent a car and which company

Thanks, MaggieMayMA! Yes, I checked my package doesn't include the shuttle to/from Airport. We upgraded our Hotel to Terceira Mar and they said there is free parking there so that's why we are debating if renting a car is better for us. However, there are so many different sites for Car Rental with quite a bit of price differences.

How much did you pay to rent a car when you were there? And does Angra city is easily accessible by foot? We just like to explore the island and not so much into the tour type of setting when we are time restricted.

Thank you :)

Mora

Massachusetts
Level Contributor
120 posts
40 reviews
3. Re: Azores Getaway - TER Should you rent a car and which company

Economy Car Rental was a company that someone mentioned on TripAdvisor as a reasonably priced option and we have used them four times on different trips to Terceira and Sao Miguel without any problem.

I don't recall the exact amount we paid for the Terceira car rental. I do recall that there were no hidden fees. The ECR web page gives you a set quote based upon the selected vehicle and gives you a car rental voucher. To hold the reservation they required a small deposit ($50.00) which was fully refundable if we cancelled within the stated timeframe. The voucher price was exactly what we paid when picking up the car in Terceira and the pre-paid deposit was deducted from the total. ECR did require a credit card in case of damage to the vehicle and informed us that they were putting a hold of $500 on the card, but nothing additional was ever charged on account of damage (all four times we rented). We only paid the voucher amount. I printed the voucher at home and did bring it with me when we picked up the car to verify the reservation and price.

Massachusetts
Level Contributor
120 posts
40 reviews
4. Re: Azores Getaway - TER Should you rent a car and which company

The city of Angra is compact and the main streets near the harbor are easily accessible on foot. The main attractions (restaurants, shopping, farmers market, museums, churches, convents, etc.) are located here. However, there are steep hills leading away from the harbor area which are difficult to climb unless you are in decent physical condition.

The concierge of your hotel should have maps of the city with all the designated attractions. You might ask what is considered a "must see". When we did (unfortunately toward the end of our stay) we realized how much more time we probably should have allotted to Angra.

The beautiful city of Angra is a National Geographic World Heritage site and has dozens of architecturally important buildings and a very interesting history. At a minimum I suggest that you tour the Generals Palace and the Museum of Angra do Heroismo at the beginning of your trip for a quick overview. We had no idea how rich in history Terceira is until we took those two tours. They might inspire you to see more things in the city.

Boston...
10 posts
5. Re: Azores Getaway - TER Should you rent a car and which company

Thank you for you insightful detail. We found this car rental named Illa Verde via Carflexi.com which is pretty cheaper compared to Hertz or other major companies. However, I heard bad reviews about car rental companies in Portugal that they tried to charge you hefty fees when you return. I will check economy car rental out, maybe it's something more trusting. We just want to make sure we waste our money on car rental for a whole week if we can do lots of things without a car :)

1 post
6. Re: Azores Getaway - TER Should you rent a car and which company

Have you taken your trip yet? We are landing on Dec 7th and have a car through Hertz for five of the seven days. Curious if there’s anywhere worth going outside the city for a day or two since we will have the vehicle.

Boston...
10 posts
7. Re: Azores Getaway - TER Should you rent a car and which company

No not yet. We are leaving next Wednesday. Will let you know what we find out :)

1 post
8. Re: Azores Getaway - TER Should you rent a car and which company

It looks like we are doing the same trip as you .... thanksgiving time and we upgraded to the same hotel and got the shuttle. Did you find the rental car needed? We are still debating if we need one or not. We are considering island hoping a few of the days so not sure if we need a car all week. How was the weather in November? Bathing suit even needed? Was the hotel pool heated? Thanks :)

Reply to: Azores Getaway - TER Should you rent a car and which company
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Terceira