We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tour Guide Recommendation

Winnipeg, Mb
Level Contributor
39 posts
57 reviews
36 helpful votes
Tour Guide Recommendation

In February my husband & I spent 9 days on Terceira. The manager of our rental home introduced us to an excellent tour guide, Marko Aguiar. We arranged a full 2 day tour of Terceira and Marko planned the itinerary based on the weather conditions in each area. One day we did the interior and part of the eastern coast. The 2nd day we did mainly the western coast and an introduction to Agra. It truly is a beautiful island. At the end of the day he took us to the Continente Supermarket so we could stock up on food and beverages for the week, as we didn't have a rental car. Marko is very proud of his homeland and it shows when he explains things and answers questions. He spent part of his childhood in Canada so his English is very good and he was very polite and friendly. His tour rates were very reasonable and we never felt rushed. He can be contacted at +351 964 792 511 or by emailing markoaguiar@hotmail.com

11 replies to this topic
Winnipeg, Mb
Level Contributor
39 posts
57 reviews
36 helpful votes
1. Re: Tour Guide Recommendation

Correction to my post - we toured Angra do Heroismo (not Agra in India!)

Edited: 11 April 2018, 00:24
Boston...
Level Contributor
13 posts
2 reviews
2 helpful votes
2. Re: Tour Guide Recommendation

Thanks for mentioning Marko’s contact info. We contacted him in advance and he picked us up from the hotel, and took us all the places we Requested to see and more in 1 day -10 hours. As you said, his English is great, and loves his island. Without his guidance no way we could have explored the island as much as we did. Introduced us the best places where we can find local food. His rate is reasonable. Thanks again.

Terceira, Portugal
4 posts
3. Re: Tour Guide Recommendation

Hello, Hello!

Thank you for the wonderfull time and experiense we had!

Hope some day we can see you again!

Best Regards,

Marko Aguiar.

markoaguiar@hotmail.com

Terceira, Portugal
4 posts
4. Re: Tour Guide Recommendation

Hello Betty!

thank you for the very kind words! You openned me the a new world! I now can showcase the way i am to people all over the world and show my island the same way!

Thank you!

Best regards,

Marko Aguiar.

markoaguiar@hotmail.com

Minsk, Belarus
Level Contributor
1 post
3 reviews
3 helpful votes
5. Re: Tour Guide Recommendation

If I can call out trip on Terceira -amaizing—> it will be even not enough. There were 2 decissions made in advance, that made our trip. First: I would highly recommend to those, who travel to Lisbon, to make hip-on-hip-off one day jump to Terceira. My colleagues and I came to WebSummit to Lisbon and we had one spare day. 7 am flight to Terceira and 8 pm flight back gives you a shot of fresh new experience just in the 12 hours spot.

Second: thanks to reviews on Tripadvisor I contacted several guides and I got very fast respond from Marko ( mentioned above in previous reviews). That was not just a mail with confirmation, but also a proposal of what we can expect in one-time journey with pictures and videos. That was fast and efficient sale :). Marko met us at the airport and dropped back 1 hour before flight back. We had very intensive and great experience in every spot we visited. But, what I would like to stress regarding our cooperation:

1. The whole day was dedicated to us- Marko adjasted the journey on the go, catching our mood and interests. He is a great psychologist, I have to admit :)

2. We had a very friendly atmosphere and felt like we are on vacation with very well known family friend

3. Marko is fluent in English and has broad areas of knowledge and interests— it makes conversation with him very interesting.

4. He goes extra mile:). We mention, that we would like to see local hand made juwelry. And when we arrived on the spot-it was closed. While we took pictures of the ocean-Marko called to the juwelry maker and in 20 minutes we were already at her house. No need to ention, that was very autentic- to come someones home, see how people live and buy presents to friends :).

I will highly reccomend Marko if you consider trip to Terceira

Terceira, Portugal
4 posts
6. Re: Tour Guide Recommendation

Hello Yuliya.

Thank you very much for the experience of are tour together. It was a fantastic experience and a great time!

Thank you for the kind words about are experience.

Best regards,

Marko Aguiar.

markoaguiar@hotmail.com

Winthrop...
1 post
1 review
4 helpful votes
7. Re: Tour Guide Recommendation

My husband & I recently visited the beautiful island of Terceira. We had read great reviews about a personal tour guide, Marko Aguiar. We contacted him and boy, not only was he a fabulous guide with ample information about the island and great flexibility with sightseeing, but he was also a warm & wonderful person who introduced us to his mom & dad and took enormous pride in family & home. I highly recommend anyone visiting the island to skip the bus tours and give Marko a call! You will see places & vistas that you otherwise would miss out on. He even stopped on a remote road with cows heading to be milked and took pictures of me with the herd : ) Loved them!!

Highly highly recommend Marko!!

1 post
8. Re: Tour Guide Recommendation

My husband and I have just came back from a week long trip on a beautiful island of Terceira. Thanks to the previous traveler review that lead me to Marko Agular. True to the words, he is really awesome. I contacted him prior to my arrival asking about the private tour for both of us. He was so responsive and helpful. He answered all of my questions and give me the tour itinerary so I know what he intended to show me around the island. I planned to do 1 day tour only, so he tried his best to cover the whole island within a day. However, the week that we're there, the weather is very unexpected with more rainy days than anticipated, therefore, we have to postpone the tour till the sunny day which is few days later. However, Marko didn't want us to do nothing while waiting for his tour, he made extra effort to come to our hotel the day we arrived and took us around town for a few hours (with no extra cost) to show us some spots near the hotel where we can visit on foot since we didn't have a car. He showed us the good restaurants nearby, farmer fruit market, the church so we can attend Sunday mass, took us to the food take out restaurant so we can pick up something for dinner, etc... On the day of the tour, his plan and timing is really good that I didn't miss any beautiful spot on the whole island and still able to spend time to enjoy it. Unlike other commercial bus tour where they don't care about your feeling, just rushing through to finish the tour in time, Marko on the other hand, is very caring and passionate. His warm and wonderful personality makes the tour so personal and make us feel so welcome to his home town. He doesn't want to prefer us as customer or clients, I guess he wants to treat people like his own family. He brought us some home grown banana, took us to his house and his mom gave us some cake that she baked which is very touching. After the tour, we feel like close friends and I've learned so much about him and everything about Terceira island.

I highly recommend Marko as the tour guide. It's the best tour experience I've ever had. Agree w/ other people, don't take the bus tour. Also, you can ask Marko for transport to and from hotel to the airport. His price is very decent. He charges per trip, not per person. Azores tour charges you a lot more for transportation. btw, on the way to take us to the airport, since we have a few hours away till departure, he took extra time to drove us around on the back road to see villages and stop by a church on the way. It's very nice of him for doing that.

Tip: for those like me that didn't have a car, ask the hotel about the mini bus that goes around Angra town. I stayed at Hotel Do Caraco and the bus stop just right outside of the hotel w/ the sign EVT. It costs only 30c to get on. Don't take the big bus since that goes outside of town. We were going to rent a car for a day or so, but we changed our mind after taking the tour w/ Marko, we felt like we've seen the whole island. We either took a the bus and did a lot of walking around town to eat, shop, and sign seeing. One thing I love about this island is people here are very friendly, you feel like you are not tourist and you just blend in with the local. Everything is unbelievable cheap on the island.

Terceira, Portugal
4 posts
9. Re: Tour Guide Recommendation

Hello, Hello Hanh! Thank you very much for the sincere and kind words! The experience for me was a greatfull one also, and yes you do feel like part of familly!

10. Re: Tour Guide Recommendation

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum posting guidelines with prohibiting self-promotional advertising or solicitation.

We ask all of our members to keep their forum messages free of self-promoting advertisements or solicitation of any kind - members affiliated with any tourism-related business should not include commercial contact information or URLs in their forum messages.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 December 2018, 01:53

Reply to: Tour Guide Recommendation
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Terceira