We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Exploring Terceira without a car

canada
Level Contributor
56 posts
21 reviews
Exploring Terceira without a car

My friend and I have purchased the Terceira experience package from azoresgetaway.com. Six nights with one full day van tour, one whale watching and half day city walk. The full day tour is scheduled on the 4th day. I requested to do it sooner so that we can get a brief idea of the island and re-visit places we like. Unfortunately it can't be arranged. We don't drive and plan to explore the island on foot and by bus mostly, if possible. Or hide a cab if needed. We have 3 full days and 2 half days to fill up. Please suggest things to do/places to visit. Will definitely visit the garden next to the hotel we stay, explore the old streets of Angra do Heroismo, and lava tubes. Thanks for any ideas.

8 replies to this topic
Boston
Level Contributor
4,157 posts
14 reviews
1. Re: Exploring Terceira without a car

is that 6 nights or 7 ??? just curious...enjoy

Lisbon, Portugal
Destination Expert
for Azores, Lisbon
Level Contributor
25,477 posts
57 reviews
2. Re: Exploring Terceira without a car

The island is small, take your time, here you have the local bus company http://www.evt.pt/percursos/

Massachusetts
Level Contributor
120 posts
40 reviews
3. Re: Exploring Terceira without a car

When I visited Terceira with my husband we regretted not paying more attention to the many offerings withn the city of Angra...there are many. I strongly suggest an early visit to the Palacio das Capitaes Generais for a guided tour which will provide an excellent and interesting overview of the history of Terceira. Also, the Museu de Angra do Heroismo is really superb. The major and minor major churches are filled with exquisite art and architecture. There is a Baroque convent, the Convent of Sao Goncalo, a bit hard to find but worth the effort to see the magnificent Portuguese tile work and choir loft. The city of Angra also has a farmers market...you can hike or drive up to Monte Brazil for an expansive view of the city... and there are lots of restaurants, cafes and little shops to polk around.

We also like the village of Biscoites for its small wine museum (open 1:30-4:00 pm closed Sunday and Monday) and Biscoites’ impressive natural pools.

The resort city of Praia da Vitoria has an beautiful, broad beach, a belvedere/lookout over the town and is a lovely place to spend an afternoon.

Also, do not miss the Algar do Cavao: an extinct volcano that you can enter and self tour. It is a genuinely awesome experience...be sure to wear non slip shoes as the stairs are slippery.

Finally, the Miradouro Serra do Cume offers a spectacular panorama of the east coast of the island and is a great photo opportunity.

canada
Level Contributor
56 posts
21 reviews
4. Re: Exploring Terceira without a car

It's 6 nights.

canada
Level Contributor
56 posts
21 reviews
5. Re: Exploring Terceira without a car

Thank you for the bus schedule. Is Angra = Angra do Heroismo, and Praia = Praia da Vitoria? Which bus will take us to Biscoites, and Algar do Cavao? Sorry for the stupid questions.

Tartu, Estonia
Level Contributor
200 posts
38 reviews
6. Re: Exploring Terceira without a car

It's correct about Angra and Praia.

The line 1 is between Angra and Biscoitos. It's probably better to use trip simulator to get an idea about lines - http://www.evt.pt/simulador/

There is no bus to Algar do Cavao. There are no villages at this part of central Terceira. So buses are going along coastal roads.

If you have too much spare time then there is also possibility to make a day trip by plane to some other central islands. It needs some planning and return flights are probably starting from 100 euros but on some days there are possibilities to make a tour like this. I just tried some dates from November and there are flights like this to Graciosa, Sao Jorge and Faial at least once a week. You definitely need a taxi on these islands to make most of some 4-6 hours before return flight.

Sudbury, United...
1 post
1 review
7. Re: Exploring Terceira without a car

Just wondering, how did you travel around the island? We'll be arriving in Praia di Vitoria by cruise ship and only have one day to explore the island. Do you know if taxis and guides are readily available in Praia di Vitoria? Thanks!

Worcester...
Level Contributor
14 posts
34 reviews
8. Re: Exploring Terceira without a car

Replying to the cruise ship question. If you have one day and expect to do more than walk around the city I would suggest a guide with a car. Car tours, even ones that are just for the two of you, are cheaper than mainland Europe and you would get to see plenty in 8 hours. Arrange ahead of time so they meet you and go from there.

In general the public transportation is NOT for sightseeing but for locals to commute around the island. There are plenty of reasonably priced tours if you want to see specific things.

Angra has some great small restaurants with both steak and seafood. One side street near the garden hotel heading towards the harbor has a handful of restaurants all worth the visit. Small local place at the end of the street was a great stop and had excellent steak.

Reply to: Exploring Terceira without a car
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Terceira