We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Azores Getaways, $499 seems to good to be true?

Nuevo Vallarta...
Level Contributor
5 posts
3 reviews
Azores Getaways, $499 seems to good to be true?

So my brother and I love to travel and we saw a deal running on travelzoo from Azores getaways for RT flights from Boston to Terceira for $499-$599 during the winter months. Naturally, I feel like there has to be some sort of catch? I was wondering if anyone has traveled with their tour company and if so, would you kindly be able to share any insight? I'm sure these aren't prime tourism months there which I understand for that price, but weather concerns aside I just want to make sure we aren't locking ourselves into some deal where we have to use designated tours or get put into some high pressure time sales pitch or anything? We are primarily adventure travelers and I want to make sure we have the autonomy to make our own schedules and go explore on our own? Also hoping for some scuba diving there too which I did see was offered. Thanks for any feed back!

90 replies to this topic
Nuevo Vallarta...
Level Contributor
5 posts
3 reviews
1. Re: Azores Getaways, $499 seems to good to be true?

Thanks!

Dearborn, Michigan
Destination Expert
for Mont Tremblant
Level Contributor
4,510 posts
83 reviews
2. Re: Azores Getaways, $499 seems to good to be true?

Flights will be on SATA Air Azores. There may be "fine print" restrictions about weight of luggage and also charges for other items (typical of discount airlines), but the deal seems legitimate and a true bargain. You can book it without the "deal" directly from SATA for about $100 more, just to give you some idea.

alaska
Level Contributor
7 posts
129 reviews
3. Re: Azores Getaways, $499 seems to good to be true?

We are looking at the same deal. I did some research on the company and it seems legit. Mostly positive reviews and only one or two negative ones. I've never really considered going there before but for this price, why not!

Massachusetts
Level Contributor
120 posts
40 reviews
4. Re: Azores Getaways, $499 seems to good to be true?

No catch...not one penny of extra fees, taxes or surcharges. It is an opportunity not to be missed.

I am returning from the same package tour, having arrived on Thursday, May 4 and departing today, Thursday, May 12th.

I am checking out of the Angra Garden Hotel as I write, after a seven nights stay. You should see my hotel review for my detailed impressions of the hotel. The hotel was fine for the price...immaculate, but basic. The location is in the middle of everything in Angra....restaurants, museums, the marina, shopping. The location is great. If you rent a car parking is a hassle, but doable. We had a car for five days.

The air travel portion of the package is fine. I have flown SATA/AzoresAir on at least 5 occasions and never had any problem except for a delayed flight fou 1-2 hours, two times in Sao Miguel.

The Azorean people are welcoming. The Azorean food is very hearty ang very good, from seafood to meat. The scenery is beautiful...bucolic...dramatic...charming. There is much history if you consult the guide map and follow the suggested itineraries.

I would do it again without a second of hesitation!

boston,ma.
Level Contributor
570 posts
294 reviews
5. Re: Azores Getaways, $499 seems to good to be true?

See you all there. We're working on the dates now but it looks like a beautiful island and the deal is awesome.

Kitchener, Canada
Level Contributor
35 posts
24 reviews
6. Re: Azores Getaways, $499 seems to good to be true?

I paid $497 round trip from Toronto to PDL in October.. definitely just seems like this place is a great bang for your buck! Most likely legit.

Thurmont, MD
Level Contributor
15 posts
29 reviews
7. Re: Azores Getaways, $499 seems to good to be true?

I did some research before booking. It is a fabulous deal! I recently went on another "to good to be true" deal to Iceland and it was great. Go for it!

nashville
11 posts
8. Re: Azores Getaways, $499 seems to good to be true?

thank you was looking at this deal also do you need a car for the length of stay or would about three days be ok to see the island

nashville
11 posts
9. Re: Azores Getaways, $499 seems to good to be true?

thank you was looking at this deal also do you need a car for the length of stay or would about three days be ok to see the island

Massachusetts
Level Contributor
120 posts
40 reviews
10. Re: Azores Getaways, $499 seems to good to be true?

Having just returned, I think that three days with a car seems just about right. If you are contemplating the Azores Getaway package upon your arrival there will be a person from Azores Getaways with tour information for the whole week, so many people in our group decided not to rent a car at all, and take the AG tours.. We rented a car for four days and enjoyed driving around the island, but parking in Angra is metered and very limited. We had to make sure the meter was fed until 6:00 pm and had to get to the car by 8:00 am to avoid getting ticketed in the morning. As it turned out, we could easily have spent less time on the road and more time in Angra because there is much to see and do there that we missed, even with three full days in the city.,

Edited: 15 May 2016, 05:45
Reply to: Azores Getaways, $499 seems to good to be true?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Terceira