We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Fatima

Which Fatima hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Brea, CA
1 post
Save Topic
Fatima

For our first trip to fatima - would you reccomend an all day tour leaving from lisbon or staying in or near fatima and doing it on our own?

Lisbon, Portugal
Level Contributor
797 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Fatima

Stay near Fatima (there is a pousada in Ourem) and take a tour to Fatima or go on your own from Lisbon. It should be about an hour drive from Lisbon. Apart from the santuary Fatima is really ugly so avoid staying there for the night. I don't like tours myself, they are very readymade and you loose a lot of time waiting for everybody. The trip from Lisbon to Fatima is realy easy so there is no problem in going by car. Place to eat: Restaurante Tia Alice.

New York, NY
1 post
Save Reply
2. Re: Fatima

The best way to see Fatima is to stay on Casa Alta in Ourem (www.casaaltaroyallodge.com), very close to the sanctuary and all the pertinant sites linked to Fatima. It is an incredible place--a slice of heaven!--and I cannot imagine a more sublime and beautiful place to spend your time in Portugal.

The lodge rooms come with wood-burning fireplaces that are lit every evening, gorgeous arrangements of fresh flowers, embroidered sheets, a full breakfast, a charming intimate environment and antique furnishings. The views out the windows overlook the valley below and provide opportunities to enjoy the Portuguese countryside.

It is a place that will allow you to properly enjoy the serenity and spirituality of Fatima' without the crowds and commercialization.

Libertyville, IL
1 post
Save Reply
3. Re: Fatima

I've been to Fatima several times and always stayed at the Hotel Cinquintenario. One of the reasons is the accessibility to the Shrine. It is just a stone's throw away. One can come and go at any hour of the day or night. It is wonderful especially if you like to do the Penitential Walk in peace in the late evening. One may also walk to the places where the children lived and the pray along the Hungarian Stations of the Cross.

I would definitely recommend to try to be as near to the Shrine as possible, also any time from right before the 13th of the month (May through October). It is awesome to be united with those who love Our Lady on those special days of the 12th for the vigil and the 13th.

Bost, MA
Level Contributor
53 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Fatima

A day trip from Lisbon is very doable to see Fatima. On the way, you can visit Batalha and Obidos as well.

Europe
Level Contributor
7 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Fatima

A day is to much to spend in Fatima indeed. I would recomend you to visit the sanctuary in the morning, have lunch at the absolutely fab restaurant Tia Alice (were you can taste the best of portuguese gastronomy) and then visit Leiria (beautiful castle), Batalha (wonderful monastery), Alcoba��a (gorgeous monastery too) and Obidos. Obidos is a small lovely pittoresque village were you can buy handcrafted souvenirs and take amazing pictures. It has also a very good pousada in the castle, were you can spend a remarkable night (pousadasofportugal.com/portugal/obidos.html).

Have a nice trip!

Level Contributor
3 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Fatima

There is so much to see near Fatima. Stay at Casa Alta Royal Lodge at Ourem Castle and see Batalha and Alcobassa monastery and the miracle of Santerem. The hotels in Fatima are two-star affairs, if that. You will want to do the Sanctuary at lesure and not on some on/off the bus day trip.

NY
Level Contributor
31 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Fatima

Hello!

I think it will depend on how much time you want to spend in there... You have the main sanctuary and also other locals of apparitions, the little sheaperds house and the museum, outside the main temple.

Have a look on toursforyou. they have private tours there, as well as full-day tour including obidos, batalha and alcobaca.

Los Angeles, CA
7 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Fatima

Fatima depends on how religious or Catholic that you are...I am a Catholic so I spent several days there...It was very spirtual...you would not get tired of things to do...attend Mass, tour the homes of the visionaries,go the Adoration chapel, go to the Eucharistic miracle in the nearby town of Santarem.

Don't worry about the crowds if it is a feast day...people there are lovely..they are just pilgrims on their journey. I would go back there everytime I was visiting in that area.

I would stay at least a night so that you can join the nightly procession to our Blessed Mother. You can do this tour on your

own...people are very friendly there. It is a very simple town

as most small towns in Europe. I recommend that you go>

Ireland
Level Contributor
2 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Fatima

Can anyone please tell me the easiest way to get to Fatima from Lisbon airport? I cant find information anywhere. It will have to be public transport as driving is out of the question.

Over the Rainbow
Level Contributor
518 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Fatima

The amount of time you want to spend at Fatima depends upon your reason for visiting. We spent 1/2 day at Tomar and 1/2 day at Fatima. I am Catholic and found Fatima to be moving. However, we were not visiting for a pilgramage and just had too many other places we wanted to see to spend more time than that.

I would not recommend the pousada at Obidos--overpriced and pretentious. The only pousada I did not like.