We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Day trips from Porto - Which ones?

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
253 posts
20 reviews
Save Topic
Day trips from Porto - Which ones?

Hi we are visiting Porto in February. I have time to do 3 day trips from Porto but I can't decide between these 4

Braga

Guimarães

Aveiro

tour group to the Douro Valley

We are planning to use public transport on all trips except the Duoro Valley I wanted to book with a tour group.

When traveling we like history, architecture, cute villages, food & wine. We are a 50 year old couple.

So which 3 day trips would you do?

Thanks

Mentioned in this post
Porto
Porto
Porto District, Portugal
Aveiro
Aveiro
Aveiro District, Portugal
Albufeira, Portugal
Destination Expert
for Algarve, Faro
Level Contributor
55,368 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Day trips from Porto - Which ones?

Braga and Guimarães are both interesting. Having been to both I would say Guimarães has a bit more to it with its old centre, castles and palaces..

Local trains run from Porto every 1 - 2 hours costing a mere €6,30 for the round trip which takes around an hour each way.

Aveiro is a nice town on a nice day, easy to get to from Porto again on the frequent local trains in about an hour.

Mentioned in this post
Braga
Braga
Braga District, Portugal
Porto
Porto
Porto District, Portugal
Aveiro
Aveiro
Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
253 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Day trips from Porto - Which ones?

Thanks Cusbar. Would you say Aveiro is more interesting/ more to see than Braga? I think it will be raining most days we there :(

Mentioned in this post
Aveiro
Aveiro
Braga
Braga
Braga District, Portugal
Portugal
Level Contributor
4,758 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Day trips from Porto - Which ones?

Hi!

Guimarães is the birthplace of the Portuguese nation. The historic center is considered one of the most interesting in the world:

virtualtourist.com/travel/Europe/Portugal/Di…

visitportoandnorth.travel/Porto-and-the-Nort…

http://www.guimaraesturismo.com/

Braga also has good historical attractions...:

virtualtourist.com/travel/Europe/Portugal/Di…

portugalvisitor.com/portugal-city-guides/bra…

www.golisbon.com/portugal/cities/braga.html

I'll give up Aveiro.

Edited: 30 January 2015, 05:37
Mentioned in this post
Braga
Braga
Braga District, Portugal
Aveiro
Aveiro
Lisbon, Portugal
Destination Expert
for Azores, Lisbon
Level Contributor
23,938 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Day trips from Porto - Which ones?

Aveiro is easy to do as an half day tour, when at Porto and if the weather is good go there. Both Braga and Guimarães are nice but much similar in the sense that they both represent the "very old Portugal" Guimarães the "birth" of the nation and Braga the "old religious Portugal", although today Braga has one of the youngest populations in the country and it's no longer all about religion...

Mentioned in this post
Aveiro
Aveiro
Porto
Porto
Porto District, Portugal
Braga
Braga
Braga District, Portugal
5. Re: Day trips from Porto - Which ones?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 28 February 2015, 10:36
Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
253 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Day trips from Porto - Which ones?

Thank you all for your useful information. I think we will skip Aveiro.

Mentioned in this post
Aveiro
Aveiro
Wales, United...
Destination Expert
for Fuerteventura, Istria
Level Contributor
13,040 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Day trips from Porto - Which ones?

Have a look at my Porto, Braga & Guimaraes trip report and photos, may give you some ideas:-

tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowTopic-g189180-i598-k44…

May be interested in my Aveiro report as well:-

tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowTopic-g189100-i201-k75…

Happy planning!

Mentioned in this post
Porto
Porto
Porto District, Portugal
Braga
Braga
Braga District, Portugal
Guimaraes
Guimaraes
Braga District, Portugal
Aveiro
Aveiro
Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
253 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Day trips from Porto - Which ones?

Thanks so much Welshtraveller - I will check them out :)

Portugal
Level Contributor
4,758 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Day trips from Porto - Which ones?

The Official Portal Website for Porto:

visitporto.travel/Visitar/…default.aspx

You may use the "live-chat" (bottom right) of the website. They can help you in all your travel issues. Or, you may write to the visitporto@cm-porto.pt in english and ask all your questions. You can tell about the days you will stay in the Porto region, and what would you like to visit.

The oficial tourist department has agreements with several companies of the Douro Valley tours and, with the possible dates for the tour, your interests, your budget, etc, they will tell you what kind of trip would be more appropriate. The nicer trips on the river are rising the Douro river by boat and return to Porto by train. There are several alternatives, with different prices. On weekend is more expensive.

There are also several possible destinations for the boat. The farther the destination for the boat, upstream, more interesting and beautiful is the landscape. And all the tours takes almost a day.There is a tour that includes a visit to a winery, but this one could cost about 100€. The cheapest rides would cost between 60€-65€...

If you will use the live-chat, remember you only have to take into account the time difference between Portugal and your time zone. The live-chat is active up to 19:00h (7pm) local time in Portugal...

http://uk.visitportoandnorth.travel/

wsj.com/articles/a-perfect-long-weekend-in-p…

http://www.yellowbustours.com/en

Mentioned in this post
Porto
Porto
Porto District, Portugal
The Douro River
The Douro River
120 Reviews
Northern Portugal, Portugal
10. Re: Day trips from Porto - Which ones?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 02 February 2016, 00:18