We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Scenic train ride and good wine.

Fort Myers, Florida
Level Contributor
898 posts
299 reviews
Save Topic
Scenic train ride and good wine.

Will be in Porto from Friday March 6th until the 9th. One day I would like to take a scenic train ride, eat lunch in Pinhao, and try a few wineries. I would prefer not to do a tour, but I fear it will be difficult to try wineries without a car(which I am not wanting to rent). I would have no problem taking the 715 am train, but could do later as well. Any suggestions? Mostly interested in beautiful scenery, followed by good food and wine. Thanks in advance.

Mentioned in this post
Porto
Porto
Porto District, Portugal
Pinhao
Pinhao
Vila Real District, Portugal
Algarve, Portugal
Destination Expert
for Vilamoura, Algarve, Portugal
Level Contributor
14,200 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Scenic train ride and good wine.

If you like scenic train rides, take the train all the way to Pocinho. The last part of the trip runs very close to the river. There's not much to see in Pocinho so I suggest you take the first train out of there and indeed have lunch in Pinhão. There you can also take a 1 hour boat trip on the Douro river. Take a taxi to a few wineries. Taxis are fairly cheap here. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UrdgPmBgczs

http://www.dourowinetourism.com/

http://www.dourovalley.eu/en/pagegen.aspx

Mentioned in this post
The Douro River
The Douro River
119 Reviews
Northern Portugal, Portugal
Lisbon, Portugal
Destination Expert
for Azores, Lisbon
Level Contributor
23,938 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Scenic train ride and good wine.

because in March the days are still short and it may be not so nice in terms of weather, consider the train till Pinhão, before going contact a local company like this one to know if the cruises are running http://www.magnificodouro.pt/en/home

Once there take a taxi to a winery (Quinta) or book a tour that includes also a detour to see the blossoming almond trees (it's "in season"), maybe with a stop to lunch somewhere, example http://www.cenarios.pt/home/loadContent/794

Edited: 05 February 2015, 03:43
Portugal
Level Contributor
4,758 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Scenic train ride and good wine.

@fthw: "If you like scenic train rides, take the train all the way to Pocinho. The last part of the trip runs very close to the river."

I agree. If you want to enjoy the Douro landscapes you should go to "Pocinho".

Mentioned in this post
Guest House Douro
Guest House Douro
749 Reviews
Porto, Portugal
Fort Myers, Florida
Level Contributor
898 posts
299 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Scenic train ride and good wine.

So instead of stopping in Pinhao,you would go all the way Pocinho?. Is that around 3 hours each way from Porto?

Mentioned in this post
Pinhao
Pinhao
Vila Real District, Portugal
Porto
Porto
Porto District, Portugal
Portugal
Level Contributor
4,758 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Scenic train ride and good wine.

The landscape is more beautiful between 'Pinhão' and 'Pocinho'. Of course, up the river by boat and back to Porto by train would be even better...

Contact (in English) "Porto Official Tourist Offices" through the 'live-chat' (bottom right):

visitporto.travel/Visitar/…default.aspx

They will inform you with all the details...

Edited: 05 February 2015, 07:59
Mentioned in this post
Porto
Porto
Porto District, Portugal
Fort Myers, Florida
Level Contributor
898 posts
299 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Scenic train ride and good wine.

Thx.

Algarve, Portugal
Destination Expert
for Vilamoura, Algarve, Portugal
Level Contributor
14,200 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Scenic train ride and good wine.

Have a look at the Youtube video I gave you in post 1. It will give you an impression of the train journey to Pocinho.

Fort Myers, Florida
Level Contributor
898 posts
299 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Scenic train ride and good wine.

Thx. Will check it out when I get home this evening. I appreciate the help.

London, United...
Level Contributor
14 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Scenic train ride and good wine.

I find this thread great, am planning a trip for March. I have been live chatting with the visit porto team, Cristina, and she has been extremely helpful with planning my trip. She was able to advise me on airport transportation (shuttle and private car options), the cruise company she gave me is the magnifico tour mentioned above as well, she also is helping with the wine tour driver and/or guide arrangement. I suggest the live chat option!

Winnipeg, Canada
Level Contributor
4,112 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Scenic train ride and good wine.

oliverlevitt/Merrin K- I would love to hear how both of your experiences go. We are planning a trip in October and we are hoping to spend a similar day to what you are planning. We too prefer to do things on our own if we can fairly easily, rather than through an organized tour. We also prefer not to rent a vehicle. I really like the idea of a train and river cruise portion and hiring of a driver to visit some wineries.

I would be most interested in what your itineraries shape up to be - where you took the train to, where you cruised the river from and where you hired a taxi/driver to take you wineries.

Enjoy your trips - they sound great!