We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Jellyfish

Long Island, New...
Level Contributor
363 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
Jellyfish

Hi All,

I am thinking about a vacation with my family in Greece. We will be coming from Israel where, in July, the water is full of jellyfish and you cannot swim. Will we have the same problem in Greece in July?

Thanks,

Debbie

Oslo, Norway
Destination Expert
for Oslo, Naxos, Norway
Level Contributor
21,610 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Jellyfish

In my 30 years in Greece I have never seen one.

Devizes, United...
Level Contributor
40,216 posts
340 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Jellyfish

Nor I in 20 years of travelling to Greece. It won't be an issue at all.

Athens, Greece
Destination Expert
for Peloponnese, Athens
Level Contributor
9,064 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Jellyfish

It cannot be guaranteed that you won't see any. It's just not possible to tell you where or when!

I have seen a huge amount spread all down the bay from Tolo to Hydra (Peloponnese) when we went down the coast on a boat, that was in September one year & the locals were as amazed as us to see so many, it was unusual. I have occasionally seen them in our local area, but only ever a few & they are soon gone. I think the largest mass I've seen was in August in Akrata (Corinthian gulf), the sea was just one mass of spots, but people were going in & playing dodgems :) I did go in to get wet & cool off, but got out very quickly! They had disappeared the next day. The only other time I can recall is a few at Voidakilia Bay in May a couple of years ago.

So, upshot is, while not impossible, it is unlikely that there will be any wherever you are & if you are unlucky enough to see any they should be soon gone!

South Pole
Destination Expert
for Lesbos, Zagorohoria
Level Contributor
13,783 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Jellyfish

I do recall seeing just a couple of jellyfish on the beach at Kalo Limani on Lesvos. Along with several fish heads left behind by the local fishermen. Perhaps they had come up in one of the nets.

Birmingham, United...
Level Contributor
12,353 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Jellyfish

Possible, but very unlikely, I have been stung by Jellyfish on Naxos. I have seen more in Mallorca and Ibiza. In that case it would have been June-Sept.

Sharp reefs/rocks and sea urchins on rocky beaches are a lot more likely hazards.

Bristol, United...
Destination Expert
for Messenia Region, Laconia Region, Magnesia Region
Level Contributor
4,733 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Jellyfish

In 25 years of visiting Greece, I have been stung by a jellyfish once, off the south east coast of Crete. It was no worse than a wasp sting.

Bath
Level Contributor
512 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Jellyfish

Unlikely..but we have had a couple of experiences with them in many years...and when little, our kids used to catch small ones at certain beaches like Tavari and off the rocks around Sigri and harbours. The locals in Lesvos will tell you if there are ever any in the water. My son was stung when he was 10 yrs old, he was calm unlike all our very good greek friends on the beach!! a small shoal (smack is the correct term for a group of jellyfish!!) came into the water at Skala Eressos but were gone the next day.

The best thing to carry in Greece when with children is Fenestil..it is magic ointment!..and helps stings, bites, rash..anything. The pharmacies also carry an ointment for jellyfish and hornet stings which are better than what we can get here...but the best remedy if you are stung by a jellyfish is to wee on it!!

London, United...
Level Contributor
15 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Jellyfish

Got stung by a jellyfish on Mykonos yesterday. It left a horseshoe shaped rash, but with ammonia based ointment it did not hurt after a few seconds. It was no more than a wasp sting. I was snorkelling close inshore, but unfortunately did not spot the little blighter. After the sting I looked back of course and there it was, a five inch long tubular transparent thing, never seen one of those except on Mykonos (saw the other one a few days ago here but avoided it that time). Having said that, there are very few jellyfish here compared to say Majorca and other Spanish beaches in May. I have not been to Greece in the hotter months, so I can't comment. But I would say, ALWAYS carry with you to the beach your ammonia based anti-jellyfish sting cream. Peeing on the sting works well, but that could be embarassing if there are a lot of other beach lovers around you or unless you are next to a restaurant/loo and have a suitable container. When I got stung yesterday, stupidly I had left my ammonia stuff in the apartment, the one time I needed it! So I nursed it for the mile walk home. Don't make the same mistake

Bristol, United...
Destination Expert
for Messenia Region, Laconia Region, Magnesia Region
Level Contributor
4,733 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Jellyfish

Sal, Is Fenestil available in the UK or only from Greek pharmacies?

Novi Sad, null...
1 post
Save Reply
10. Re: Jellyfish

There are a lot of jellyfish in PARALIA. My brother got stung in the face, and his eyes were open because he was diving and it was an awful experience, it hurt a lot... I will never go to Greece again, because I can't swim in piece if I know that I could get stung by a jellyfish.