We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Car rental from Athens to Kastoria?

Alentejo, Portugal
Level Contributor
34 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
Car rental from Athens to Kastoria?

Hi,

I am looking to rent a car in Athens and drop the car in Kastoria.

However the car rental websites doesn't allow allow drop-off in Kastoria...

Does someone knows a company or a way to do it?

Thanks

South Pole
Destination Expert
for Lesbos, Zagorohoria
Level Contributor
14,200 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Car rental from Athens to Kastoria?

One way car hire is not the norm in Greece. Your best option is to track down a company who have an office in Kastoria (one of the larger online brokers like Hertz or Budget?) & ask if they can help. Be aware that even if you do find someone willing to do this there is likely to be a large cost for drop off. This is to reflect the substantial cost of returning a car to where it came from if you are not driving it back to Athens.

It's a long drive so unless you are planning specific stops along the way it might actually be cheaper/easier to fly to Kastoria. Otherwise you could maybe fly to Thessaloniki & perhaps be able to negotiate a one-way hire from there, although again you will have to allow for hefty drop-off charges.

Most hire cars in Greece, whilst available via Hertz etc, are owned by small local franchised companies who cannot afford to "lose" one of their cars as whilst they are busy transferring it back to base (involving a second car, 2 drivers, time, fuel, toll costs etc) are also losing income from renting it to someone else. Plus they cannot check the condition of the car against the rental agreement you sign on collection for possible damages, fuel level etc.

If you do find a car & the cost is acceptable please do report back here as the info would be useful to others in the future. This kind of query pops up regularly but is not always resolved.

Alentejo, Portugal
Level Contributor
34 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Car rental from Athens to Kastoria?

Thanks for the detailed info.

It is possible to book one way car hire online but not to Kastoria.

I have found only one company that has offices both in Athenes and Kastoria but they haven't answered my email yet.

Maybe someone here from Greece is willing to call them and ask if it is possible to pick-up in Athens and drop-off in Kastoria?

http://www.tomaso.gr/kastoria.html

South Pole
Destination Expert
for Lesbos, Zagorohoria
Level Contributor
14,200 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Car rental from Athens to Kastoria?

Greek businesses can often take a while to answer emails in my experience. I tried to make a dummy booking online but there seems to be no option for the drop off place to be different to pick-up. They do appear to be an agency who will probably sub the bookings out to local companies, rather than be an independent local dedicated hire place.

Good luck! Kastoria is a beautiful city, in an awesome location.

Berlin, Germany
Level Contributor
545 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Car rental from Athens to Kastoria?

Flights to Katsoria are way cheaper than renting a car,go to

www.airtickets.gr

and check out the prices

5. Re: Car rental from Athens to Kastoria?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 04 July 2014, 02:17