We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Island Ferries without pre-booking

Lancashire
Level Contributor
227 posts
32 reviews
Island Ferries without pre-booking

If I arrive at Pireus port and just want a ticket for the next available ferry to either Agistri, Poros, Aegina, Spetses or Hydra what are the chance of getting a seat or do you always need to pre-book? My travel dates will be last week in August, returning first week of September. Also, same question on my return from whichever Island I ended up on.

I just like the idea of arriving and going to any of the above islands. Is the port easy to navigate ie are all the ticket offices together and do certain ones only do certain island or do they all service all of the different islands?

Obviously I can't pre book any accommodation if I do this so what are the chances of getting something once I arrive on one of the islands? I suppose I will have to post that question on the various island forums.

Any help / tips welcome as I have never done this before but just want to try it once to see if it lives up to expectation (and is possible). I have holidayed in Greece over the last 20 of so years so but always done packaged trips which are now so limited on which islands are available.

Thank you.

Ostend, Belgium
Destination Expert
for Argolis Region
Level Contributor
7,081 posts
24 reviews
1. Re: Island Ferries without pre-booking

Getting a ticket on the spot for the islands you mention there is no need to pre-book. Just buy a ticket in any ticket office in Piraeus (and there are many on the waterfront and on the quay from where the ferries leave).

Lancashire
Level Contributor
227 posts
32 reviews
2. Re: Island Ferries without pre-booking

Thank you for your prompt reply.

Patras, Greece
Level Contributor
1,078 posts
98 reviews
3. Re: Island Ferries without pre-booking

Piraeus is a large port and each destination has its own booking office, see

olp.gr/en/coastal-shipping/posts-ships-gates

for a map.

You probably will find a hotel room somewhere on an island - but where? Could be the other side to the port! Better to use TripAdvisor or Booking.com to secure a room before taking the ferry.

Edited: 01 June 2017, 03:12
4. Re: Island Ferries without pre-booking

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guideline limiting each user to a single forums screen name.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 06 June 2017, 12:02
Athens, Greece
Destination Expert
for Athens
Level Contributor
2,398 posts
4 reviews
5. Re: Island Ferries without pre-booking

panathen is right. Last week of August is mayhem, so planning ahead is a good idea.

msida-malta
Level Contributor
3,309 posts
111 reviews
6. Re: Island Ferries without pre-booking

We will be spending 5 nights in Piraeus from 23/28 Sept this as a base to try to visit these Island either Agistri, Poros, Aegina, Spetses or Hydra ....... . We are prepared to spend day in each of these Islands.We will spend our evening both in Athens and Piraeus .. We will all males 10 of us ...

Ostend, Belgium
Destination Expert
for Argolis Region
Level Contributor
7,081 posts
24 reviews
7. Re: Island Ferries without pre-booking

No need to prebook for a ticket to Aegina, Agistri, Poros for that period if you take a slow conventional ferry from Saronic Ferries.

n
Level Contributor
379 posts
34 reviews
8. Re: Island Ferries without pre-booking

I was about to ask the same question but different time of year

We will be travelling the last week in August, is it better to book ferries for Poros, Aegina, Spetses or Hydra ??

msida-malta
Level Contributor
3,309 posts
111 reviews
9. Re: Island Ferries without pre-booking

From my searches i was told that as far we have no car there is no need to book . So we are sticking about that. After all we are be staying nearby in Piraeus port for that reson to visit the island

10. Re: Island Ferries without pre-booking

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 31 July 2018, 00:16