We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How to avoid getting ripped off by taxi driver?

Croydon, United...
Level Contributor
975 posts
86 reviews
146 helpful votes
How to avoid getting ripped off by taxi driver?

Hi

We would like to take a taxi from Piraeus to the Acropolis early in the morning to get ahead of the crowds so I have been advised to take a taxi which should cost in the region of 25 Euros.

Is this correct?

But how can I avoid being ripped off by the taxi drivers at the port? I know that by law they should use the meter. I should ask for an estimate before agreeing to get inside, but I'm sure that they could take a longer way there for example.

Also, while we're at it, if anyone is arriving on the P&O Oceana on 1st July and would like to share a taxi please get in touch!

Athens, Greece
Destination Expert
for Peloponnese, Athens
Level Contributor
12,621 posts
78 reviews
157 helpful votes
11. Re: How to avoid getting ripped off by taxi driver?

Nice one Glen! We often advise people to use that app so thanks for sharing your positive experience :)

Croydon, United...
Level Contributor
975 posts
86 reviews
146 helpful votes
12. Re: How to avoid getting ripped off by taxi driver?

Why do you assume that I am assuming that all Greek taxi drivers will rip me off?

Taxi drivers in general are rip-off merchants all around the world, not just in Greece.

For anyone interested in what I did in the end, I decided to take the express bus from behind the port taxi rank, which only took about 20 minutes and picked us up at around 07:30. It turned out to be a good choice as the ticket included the return journey as well.

Yorkshire Dales...
Level Contributor
13 posts
374 reviews
149 helpful votes
13. Re: How to avoid getting ripped off by taxi driver?

We are hoping to visit Athens after docking at Pireaus port next May. It will be our last stop before flying home so need a 'fairly quick' turnaround into Athens and back to port in order to get our airport transfer from the ship.

So our parameters...... leave ship at 7am but would need to be back at 2.30pm latest. Would a trip into Athens be dobale ? If so the X80 bus is it easy to find at the port ? and do you need to buy tickets in advance ? or can you buy on the bus on the day ?.

msida-malta
Level Contributor
3,312 posts
112 reviews
65 helpful votes
14. Re: How to avoid getting ripped off by taxi driver?

We are still on our holiday in Athens, what i can say is this wonder why one try to scare away people from using the Taxis .... One must be carefull and to deal a price with them .... We went on a day cruise to Ageina .. on our arrival at piraeus though we had the 5 days public transport ticket couse we was tired we took a taxi to Omonia Square for 4 persons for just 20 euros, again we went for a day in Poros and again on our arrival back we got a yellow taxi to Omonia Square for 15 euros which includes a tip . ...... you have to deal the trip fare .... one taxi driver asked for 30 , one asked me 50 .... but my answer was one "oh no then we go by bus as we have the 5 day tickets" ... one must take care and be there with an open eyes.

msida-malta
Level Contributor
3,312 posts
112 reviews
65 helpful votes
15. Re: How to avoid getting ripped off by taxi driver?

no one he asked 10 euro but i gave him 15 from Piraeus to Omonia Sqr and another on on other day asked me for 20 euros and i gave him 22 .... the two others who ask me 50 and 30 euros i just told them we have the r days public transport ticket so we used that ... but still we used taxis who ask a reseanable rate

msida-malta
Level Contributor
3,312 posts
112 reviews
65 helpful votes
16. Re: How to avoid getting ripped off by taxi driver?

try to find a taxi driver that offer you a reasonable price ... buses are great but need time and spend time waithing at bus stops ....

msida-malta
Level Contributor
3,312 posts
112 reviews
65 helpful votes
17. Re: How to avoid getting ripped off by taxi driver?

there is a lot of good taxi drivers .... only some are a rip off ... always deal the price before with them ....

Gerrards Cross...
Level Contributor
34 posts
2 reviews
18. Re: How to avoid getting ripped off by taxi driver?

Hi there. Sorry, I can't help with your request but cheekily wonder if you can help with mine! I notice you were on Oceana to Piraeus last month. We board Oceana in Valetta tomorrow and cruise to Piraeus, Heraklion, Katakolon then Sarande. We are planning to explore each stop independently, not on the organised excursions. Do you have any tips? Is this the route you just took? Thanks so much for reading. S. Douglas.

msida-malta
Level Contributor
3,312 posts
112 reviews
65 helpful votes
19. Re: How to avoid getting ripped off by taxi driver?

i have spend a lovely day in Heraklion, some years ago ... Nice place

msida-malta
Level Contributor
3,312 posts
112 reviews
65 helpful votes
20. Re: How to avoid getting ripped off by taxi driver?

hi dodo029 we are going to spend 5 night in Piraeus from 23rd sept with aim to explore some island ...i will give few details as soon we will be back ..... but wonder what you can manage in such a short time