We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Athens Airport to Piraeus

2 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Athens Airport to Piraeus

I am flying into Athens then need to get to Milos. Flights are sold out for my date, so ferry is my only option. My airline has now changed my flight schedule to arrive later and the timing is looking VERY tight. I don't know if I'll make it in time for the faster ferry. My flight is due to arrive at 1225 and the ferry departs at 1530. Given Athens traffic, I am thinking I would catch the Metro. Will I be able to do it in that timeframe? I am not sure whether to book the ferry prior or wait to see if I get there in time and buy a ticket at the port. Will there be enough time? Will there be seats left on the ferry? Will I have time to purchase a ticket at the port? So many questions - any help or advice would be enormously appreciated! Thank you in anticipation...

Ostend, Belgium
Destination Expert
for Argolis Region
Level Contributor
6,695 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Athens Airport to Piraeus

With a 3 hour window you can make it without a problem. Either with the metro or the X96 Express bus and certainly with a taxi.

You don't mention in what period you will be travelling, but if it's in August I would book in advance as the 15.30 Superjet is the smallest one of the Seajets fleet.

2 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Athens Airport to Piraeus

Thanks Nicksy. I am travelling in 2 weeks - on August 19th, but am just a little anxious: if the flight arrives on time, I the need to collect baggage, get to the Metro, wait for next train, make the transfer at Monistiraki, find the correct dock for Seajet and potentially buy the ticket. I'm hesitant to pre-book, because if I miss the connection I'll have to take the later ferry with Aegean Speed Lines. Any hints/advice? Do you know the dock Seajet's Milos service leaves from?

P.S. I'm wary of taxi and bus in Athens traffic...

Edited: 06 August 2017, 21:02
Athens, Greece
Destination Expert
for Peloponnese, Athens
Level Contributor
12,136 posts
80 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Athens Airport to Piraeus

There is very little Athens traffic in August :) it's wonderful for those of us still here!

Ostend, Belgium
Destination Expert
for Argolis Region
Level Contributor
6,695 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Athens Airport to Piraeus

Sharon,

You don't need to worry that much. Even if your flight is a bit late, you will still make it. But with that said, if you have the option of the later ferry from Aegean Speed Lines I would consider that one. Not only because you worry not to catch the 15.30 ferry from Seajets.

The 15.30 is the Superjet, the smallest in the Seajets fleet and if you are prone to seasickness it can be a real burden if there is a bit of wind and some waves.

The 17.00 ferry Speedrunner IV from Aegean Speed Lines is quite bigger and (much) more comfortable. It leaves from gate E7. And the ticket booth is at the quay just 50 m from the ferry. See the location here:

aegeanspeedlines.gr/site/…embarkation-gates

This is the ticket booth: http://tinyurl.com/yagxp94v

If I would have the choice I go with the Speedrunner IV, but that is a personal call.

Lindesnes...
Destination Expert
for Southern Norway, Cyclades
Level Contributor
5,065 posts
216 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Athens Airport to Piraeus

Another vote for the Speedrunner.

I personally would never chose the Metro to Pireus. Firstly because it is less frequent, and secondly because you have to change line on a very crowded station. With the risk of waiting for the next train twice, the bus may be faster. It departs right outside the arrival hall. With a taxi you are in Pireus in 30-40 minutes.

Ostend, Belgium
Destination Expert
for Argolis Region
Level Contributor
6,695 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Athens Airport to Piraeus

Agree with Periscope to take the bus instead of the metro.

The bus goes from the pavement between exitdoors 4 & 5 from the arrivals hall. The ticket booth is also on the pavement next to exitdoor 5. Ticket is 6 Euro and you have space on the bus for your luggage. There is a busstop at Gate E7/E8 (Karaïskaki Square).

Bus X96 timetable: athensairportbus.com/en/timetable/x96airport…

Map with bus stop and Aegean Speed Lines ticket booth: https://drive.google.com/open…

7. Re: Athens Airport to Piraeus

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 09 August 2018, 01:18