We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Piraeus Port: Booking Tickets & When to Arrive Before Depart

New York City, New...
12 posts
Save Topic
Piraeus Port: Booking Tickets & When to Arrive Before Depart

Most people seem to agree that you shouldn't buy ferry tickets until once in Greece.

Can you show up the day of and book tickets? (going in November so I don't think they'll be a lot of passengers competing for seats).

How long before the ferry leaves should you be at the port to buy tickets and get aboard?

Do the rules changes on overnight ferries versus day ferries? (because more people book beds/births for overnights)

Could I buy a ticket for Patra to Corfu, etc at Piraeus?

London, United...
Level Contributor
8,324 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Piraeus Port: Booking Tickets & When to Arrive Before Depart

>>Can you show up the day of and book tickets? (going in November so I don't think they'll be a lot of passengers competing for seats). <<

In November, you most definitely can. Most people wouldn't dream of going to the islands at that time of year.

>>How long before the ferry leaves should you be at the port to buy tickets and get aboard?<<

Half an hour should be plenty.

>>Do the rules changes on overnight ferries versus day ferries? (because more people book beds/births for overnights)<<

The rules change if you need to book a cabin, whether on an overnight or day ferry. It is best to book cabins in advance, because there are fewer cabins than economy seats.

>>Could I buy a ticket for Patra to Corfu, etc at Piraeus?<<

I imagine you could buy it at any travel agency, in Athens or Piraeus or even at Athens airport.

Birmingham, United...
Level Contributor
12,469 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Piraeus Port: Booking Tickets & When to Arrive Before Depart

'Can you show up the day of and book tickets?'

Yes, unless it's hi-season or a Greek holiday, though if you want a cabin on an overnight ferry you may have to book earlier as cabins are very popular with local Greeks, economy tickets are no problem.

'How long before the ferry leaves should you be at the port to buy tickets and get aboard?'

1½-2 hours - Piraeus is a very big port, with some ferries departing from quays maybe 30 mins walk from the central point, or the in-port bus.

'Could I buy a ticket for Patra to Corfu, etc at Piraeus?'

You could, but they may well not be the agents for all the ferries departing from Patras. At the latter port you'll be able to purchase any ticket for Patras departures of course.

Katakolo, Greece
Level Contributor
129 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Piraeus Port: Booking Tickets & When to Arrive Before Depart

It is true that during winter time you have less people travelling to the islands but you also have less ferries.. If you want to buy your ticket on the spot I would recommend you to be at the port one hour prior your ship's departure at least. Be aware also of the possible traffic to get to the port.

On the other hand these are two reliable websites offering online booking for greek island ferries:

http://www.piraeus.travel/

http://www.greekferries.gr/

You can book a ticket or just get informed on the ferry schedules and buy your ticket on the spot.

4. Re: Piraeus Port: Booking Tickets & When to Arrive Before Depart

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 06 May 2011, 00:15