Hi, again everyone!
I'm close to booking our (approximately) two week trip to Crete in mid-May, and I'd appreciate some more advice as I hammer out a rough itinerary.
We've been around mainland Greece before, and have spent several wonderful days in Athens already. We do want to linger in Athens long enough to visit the new Acropolis Museum (it was not yet open when we last visited!).
We'll most likely fly to Athens from the States, spend a day/night there, and fly to Crete (hopefully to Chania). I suppose we may decide to take the night ferry from Pireaus to Chania instead. If connecting to Chania isn't easy, we'll go through Iraklion. This could save us time later by along us to visit Knossos & the Arch. Museum early in the trip, I suppose, but for the sake of argument, let's assume Chania will be our port of call.
We will have a rental car (I'm assuming we'll pick it up in Chania).
Any feedback on the following very, very preliminary itinerary is encouraged!:
• Arrive in Athens (1 night)
• Arrive in Chania (?), drive via the Voukoliés route to Paleohora (3 or 4 nights). Day trips by car, lots of hiking opportunities along the coast and towards Irini, etc.
• Drive north via Fournés to Chania (5 nights). More day trips to the pennensuilas & beaches, lots of strolling through Old Chania.
• Drive south to Chora Sfakion, safely park the car, grab our backpacks and walk to Loutro (3 or 4 nights). This is the part of the trip that I'm most excited about: all the trekking opportunities around the Aradena/Anopolis/Finix area.
• Walk to Ag Roumeli from Loutro and take the ferry back to Chora Sfakion, pick up the car and drive back to Chania (or Iraklion if that's our airport) for our flight back to Athens and then the USA.
Potential problems with this plan are: can we fit in all the leisurely day trips we'd like? I really would rather be "bored" while staring out at the Libyan Sea than feeling rushed. I suppose we should prioritize our touring opportunities & only then decide if Preveli, Archanes, Argyroupolis, or even Knossos can feature into our plans. Also, it would be nice to take our car on the ferry from Paleohora through to Chora Sfakion, but I've read that this may not be feasible? So that's why I figured on inserting 5 nights back in Chania between Paleochora & Chora Sfakion/Loutro.
Is this schedule sensible? Thanks in advance for your input!