We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Amorgos for first time greece traveller

australia
Level Contributor
223 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
Amorgos for first time greece traveller

Hi I am looking at going to greece in June July 2018 by myself, read an amazing review on Conde Naste. I am travelling for 5 to 6 weeks, and have decides for first trip to do Athens and three islands in the Cyclades. I am Travelling alone and as per other posts looking for authentic laid back greece not Santorini not Mykonos. Looking at including Milos, Folegandros, Sifnos or Serfifos, then I cam across this review for Amorgos, and looks fantastic. The type of place I could wander around sip wine and eat in a local taverna chat to the locals. I am right? Any advise regarding this beautiful Island. Thinking as it is not easy to get to won't be full of package tour groups.

Mentioned in this post
Athens
Athens
Attica, Greece
Santorini
Santorini
Cyclades, Greece
Mykonos
Mykonos
Cyclades, Greece
Milos
Milos
Cyclades, Greece
Folegandros
Folegandros
Cyclades, Greece
Sifnos
Sifnos
Cyclades, Greece
Amorgos
Amorgos
Cyclades, Greece
13 replies to this topic
Birmingham, United...
Level Contributor
13,751 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Amorgos for first time greece traveller

"Thinking as it is not easy to get to won't be full of package tour groups."

You have that completely wrong on both counts. There are no package tour groups in the 20 or so Cyclades islands apart from maybe Kamari Beach and Perissa on Santorini.

In fact cruise ship passenger crowds on Mykonos, Santorini are rather more noticeable in Fira town and Oia, much more in your face than the quieter package resorts....

Amorgos is very easy to get to, daily ferries from Piraeus.

What you can incorporate with Amorgos are Astypalaia, 4x small Cyclades, Naxos, Paros, Antiparos, Syros, Tinos, Andros.

Mentioned in this post
Kamari Beach
Kamari Beach
5,422 Reviews
Santorini, Greece
Perissa
Perissa
Santorini, Greece
Santorini
Santorini
Cyclades, Greece
Mykonos
Mykonos
Cyclades, Greece
Fira
Fira
Santorini, Greece
Oia
Oia
Santorini, Greece
Piraeus
Piraeus
Piraeus Region, Greece
Naxos
Naxos
Cyclades, Greece
Paros
Paros
Cyclades, Greece
Antiparos
Antiparos
Cyclades, Greece
Syros
Syros
Cyclades, Greece
Tinos
Tinos
Cyclades, Greece
Andros
Andros
Cyclades, Greece
Oslo, Norway
Destination Expert
for Oslo, Naxos, Norway
Level Contributor
23,110 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Amorgos for first time greece traveller

Cruise passengers in Oia, Santorini

https://tinyurl.com/yb8jtvra

Mentioned in this post
Oia
Oia
Santorini, Greece
concord nh
Level Contributor
4,117 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Amorgos for first time greece traveller

You may want to check out my Amorgos Trip Report and Amorgos Village videos on a stay during Oct. 2015. Amorgos is one of the best of the Greek Islands that hasn't been over-run with tourists like some of the Big Name Islands that people THINK they need to go to for a Greek Island Experience. Amorgos is truly a lovely island, filled with beautiful villages, mountains, archeological/historic sites, beaches, great food and wonderful locals:

https://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g18942…

https://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g18942…

Mentioned in this post
Amorgos
Amorgos
Cyclades, Greece
australia
Level Contributor
223 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Amorgos for first time greece traveller

Hi think I may of worded something wrong there, NOT interested in Santorini or Mykonos, no overrun islands by cruises or package tours.

Hi crazyh, I have read many of your wonderful reviews, one of them being Lesvos when I was thinking of going there, and Amorgos, that is why I am sort of sold on that island from the wonderful reviews including yours.

Does anyone recommend Milos?

Mentioned in this post
Santorini
Santorini
Cyclades, Greece
Mykonos
Mykonos
Cyclades, Greece
Amorgos
Amorgos
Cyclades, Greece
concord nh
Level Contributor
4,117 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Amorgos for first time greece traveller

I would recommend Milos . . . it's a very lovely island. If you are going off-season it could be even nicer but you'll be limited on where you can stay. Off season will best be served if you stay in Adamas the main town/port. Most everything stays open so you'll have good choices of where to stay, shops, markets and tavernas.

High season will have more options and just about any village will be okay.

Lesvos has been on my "to-go-to" list for a long time and hope to get there if not next year then soon after.

Lots of options for Greek Islands depending on what you are looking for. It sounds you are not into the Big Name Islands like Santorini or Mykonos which most people think are THE Greek Islands to go. However, there's more to Greece and Greek Islands than Santorini/Mykonos. Not saying you won't have a good time but if you want less tourists, lower prices and maybe a more traditional Greek Experience then there are many other options like Amorgos, Lesvos, Astypalea, Chios, Tinos, Andros and lots of other islands and many parts of the mainland.

Check out Matt's Greek Guide for tons of information: http://www.greecetravel.com/

Two guide books I used on a regular basis are The Blue Guide to the Aegean Islands and Greek Island Hopping with the Blue Guide the better of the two.

Everyone has their own idea of what they want for a Greek Experience . . . make sure it's what you want rather than what the travel agents, glossy magazines and travel websites TELL you what you want!

Mentioned in this post
Milos
Milos
Cyclades, Greece
Adamas
Adamas
Milos, Greece
Santorini
Santorini
Cyclades, Greece
Mykonos
Mykonos
Cyclades, Greece
Greece
Greece
Europe
Amorgos
Amorgos
Cyclades, Greece
Chios
Chios
Northeast Aegean Islands, Greece
Tinos
Tinos
Cyclades, Greece
Andros
Andros
Cyclades, Greece
Atlantis
Level Contributor
24 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Amorgos for first time greece traveller

i'd also say Astypaleaa sounds like it fits your requirements.

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
545 posts
231 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Amorgos for first time greece traveller

Lesvos is part of the Northern Aegean group of Islands, rather than the Cyclades and doesn't look like it connects well using ferries. You may want to stick to the one group to save time and money.

We are doing 6 weeks in May, June this year and have chosen Andros, Syros, Naxos, Amorgos, Santorini and Milos - because they are all different from one another and looked to be a good mix. I was tempted so many times to add other islands (or add more weeks) and then decided we can't do them all in one trip!! I have allowed 4 nights on the first 2 islands and 6 nights on the others to get a good perspective, then 7 nights in Athens at the end.

Don't be tempted to spread yourself too thin, is what I would say and the more research you can do yourself the better. I started researching for this last February (and have enjoyed every hour - and there has been many).

Good luck.

Mentioned in this post
Andros
Andros
Cyclades, Greece
Syros
Syros
Cyclades, Greece
Naxos
Naxos
Cyclades, Greece
Amorgos
Amorgos
Cyclades, Greece
Santorini
Santorini
Cyclades, Greece
Milos
Milos
Cyclades, Greece
Athens
Athens
Attica, Greece
11 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Amorgos for first time greece traveller

Amorgos is amazing selection if you want to know the "other" Greek.

If you wanna live like a local do not miss the festivals that take place in Amorgos

amorgos.gr/amorgos-live/amorgos-events/

Check psimeni raki festival

Australia
Level Contributor
3 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Amorgos for first time greece traveller

Hi! I have also decided to visit Amorgos this year, based on the Conde Nast article :)

Last year I visited Sifnos (also on the advice of a Conde Nast article) and it did not disappoint!! It has a little bit of all that you have mentioned you are seeking, and in early/mid June it certainly wasn't overrun with tourists. I also visited Milos, which was only a short ferry trip from Sifnos. Milos was also great, but quite large so ensure you give yourself at least three or four days to explore and take a boat trip out to Kleftiko. I know Milos, Sifnos, Paros, Naxos and Amorgos are all fairly well connected with ferries, so you should have no trouble getting around, which always makes for a more relaxing holiday! Enjoy :)

Mentioned in this post
Sifnos
Sifnos
Cyclades, Greece
Milos
Milos
Cyclades, Greece
Kleftiko Beach
Kleftiko Beach
915 Reviews
Milos, Greece
Paros
Paros
Cyclades, Greece
Naxos
Naxos
Cyclades, Greece
Amorgos
Amorgos
Cyclades, Greece
Cyprus
Level Contributor
37 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Amorgos for first time greece traveller

Amorgos. Home from home, over the last 20 years or so we have travelled to Amorgos and have island hopped over many, many islands but Amorgos is our true love.

We base ourselves in Xora (Hora) in the centre. A village dominated by a Venitian Castle and many old windmills and more churches than you can count (46), ONE FOR EVERY FAMILY.

kATAPOLA IS OUR FAVOURITE PORT A QUIET BUISiNES PORT WHILE AEGIALI IS MORE TOURISTI , NOT THAT ANYTHINHG GETS VERY EXCITED THOUGHTHEY HAVE REGULAR FESTIVALS PANAGERI AND FIESTAS, WHICH are ANY ACTIVITY TO HAVE A DANCE AND PLAY MUSIC, ISLAND STYLE (n=NISHiOTICA).

Mentioned in this post
Amorgos
Amorgos
Cyclades, Greece
Aegiali
Aegiali
Amorgos, Greece
Reply to: Amorgos for first time greece traveller
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted