We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where to stay in Amorgos

7 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Where to stay in Amorgos

I'm looking to visit Amorgos for 10 days in late June with my husand and 4 year old child. we are looking for somewhere that's convenient and family friendly, e.g. A nice town/village with a few shops for us to wonder about in the evening, reasonably close to a good beach and conveniently located to reach other parts of the island.

Does anyone know the area have any recommendations? From what I read, Katapola seems to be an option. I'm also interested in Argiali and the villages around it but not sure if the location is convenient enough to visit the south west part of the island. Any thought? Is there any other nice villages that fits the criteria?

Thanks!

6 replies to this topic
Birmingham, United...
Level Contributor
13,966 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Where to stay in Amorgos

Hi,

Egiali is your best choice, basically because of the required beaches. Those around Katapola are shingly and stoney.

There are sufficient buses to Chora, Chioviotissa/Ag. Anna, Katapola and the two villages behind Egiali, Tholaria and Langada.

For your time span I would stay in both places.

7 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Where to stay in Amorgos

Thank you for sharing the info! I like the idea of spitting our stay between Katapola and Aegiali. :-)

Holland
Level Contributor
18 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Where to stay in Amorgos

Hi,

We stayed in Aegiali last september for 4 nights at the Yeperia Hotel. It was fab, very friendly staff and lovely rooms. We had a fab sea view. We loved this port. Small and cosy. A few cocktail bars and enough taverna's to choose from. Great child friendly sandy beach. Not sure if you would want to stay there for 10 days (we wanted to tho..it stole our hearts). We visited Katapola for one day but found it lacked the charm of Aegiali. But tastes differ!

We loved Amorgos. 4 days was too short for us. Chora is a lovely town and the Hozoviotissa monastery (not sure if tha's ideal for a child tho!)

4. Re: Where to stay in Amorgos

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 24 February 2018, 15:58
Edited: 24 February 2018, 15:58

concord nh
Level Contributor
4,301 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Where to stay in Amorgos

I stayed at Katapola and found it nicer than Aegiali, but as chelledion stated: tastes differ.

Since Amorgos is not that large of an island it may be better to base yourself in one village. You can drive easily from one end of the island to the other to see the various sites everywhere.

I was on the island for 6 days and stayed busy taking day trips, hiking, eating, drinking and mingling with locals.

10 days could be a bit much but it all depends on your interests, how much of a lively atmosphere you want, etc. Late June will be near the start of High Season so most everything should be open.

If you want a real nice island to combine with Amorgos I would recommend Astyaplea, just a short ferry ride away. It has one of the most beautiful Chora's in Greece and is not over-the-top like Santorini or Mykonos, just a very nice and down-to-earth Greek Island. I split my time between Amorgos/Astypalea with 3 on Astyaplea and 6 on Amorgos and it worked out fine.

By splitting up your 10 days you'll get to experience two of Greece's nicest islands.

Maribor, Slovenia
Level Contributor
815 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Where to stay in Amorgos

We stay at pension Askas near the beach about 5-10 minutes walk to port. Nice accomodation, the owner and his wife very polite, drive us for free in the mornig to the village which is up on the hill some 4-5 km away. Clean, good, typical food, at evening the owner sometimes plays greek music. I recommed highly this accomodation, very tranquill too. Take rooms upstairs with sea view. They also arrange transfer from/to port of Katapola.

Best regards

Ales

Reply to: Where to stay in Amorgos
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted