We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is nudism still tolerated at Levrossos beach in Egiali?

London, United...
6 posts
Is nudism still tolerated at Levrossos beach in Egiali?

Does anyone know if nudist bathing is still tolerated at Levrossos beach in Egiali? The owners of the Levrossos Beach apartments –which overlook the beach – seem quite adamant that it is not; but elsewhere I've read that it is. Anyone with recent experience of the situation? Thanks

Edited: 15 August 2012, 12:00
Ascot, United...
Level Contributor
23 posts
2 reviews
1. Re: Is nudism still tolerated at Levrossos beach in Egiali?

Nudism in Greece is illegal. You can only get away with it on very remote beaches. I understand from my contacts on Amorgos that the owners of the apartments there on Leversos will not tolerate it and will call the police. There are remote beaches on Amorgos that you can walk to. By the way the apartments are excellent.

London, United...
6 posts
2. Re: Is nudism still tolerated at Levrossos beach in Egiali?

I guess getting the police involved means that it is not tolerated! Thanks for the clarification.

London, United...
6 posts
3. Re: Is nudism still tolerated at Levrossos beach in Egiali?

You know what, I'm going to ask the owners of the Levrossos Beach apartments directly what the situation is with the beach and whether they go so far as to call the police on nudists. Elsewhere on the net, I've read that nudism is tolerated at the far end of the beach, nearest Egiali.

Edited: 16 August 2012, 06:22
Ljubljana, Slovenia
Destination Expert
for Ljubljana
Level Contributor
2,441 posts
293 reviews
4. Re: Is nudism still tolerated at Levrossos beach in Egiali?

It is unfortunately not longer posssible at Levrossos. However, it is possible at the following two beaches which are only a short walk away.

UK
Level Contributor
320 posts
42 reviews
5. Re: Is nudism still tolerated at Levrossos beach in Egiali?

We were on Levrossos in June this year. It's a lovely beach by the way

There were a couple of nude bathers at the end furthest away from the taverna (nearest to Aegiali) but they were heavily outnumbered and it probably wasnt appropriate given the general atmosphere on the beach.

The next beach along the coast (psilli amos?) about a 10 minute walk away had a few nudists and some free campers but the beach is nowhere near as nice and there is no taverna.

Amorgos seemed to be an Island of few nudists and even fewer policemen

Ascot, United...
Level Contributor
23 posts
2 reviews
6. Re: Is nudism still tolerated at Levrossos beach in Egiali?

Retlaw & Mark, sorry but what do you mean by 'nearest Egial'? Leversos is in Aegiali, it is the name of the whole area of that end of the island!?

Edited: 16 August 2012, 09:27
UK
Level Contributor
320 posts
42 reviews
7. Re: Is nudism still tolerated at Levrossos beach in Egiali?

Hello

I meant the end nearest to Aegiali village centre and Port, the end furthest away from the taverna and the left hand side as you look out to sea.

I hope that clarifies, sorry for the confusion

London, United...
6 posts
8. Re: Is nudism still tolerated at Levrossos beach in Egiali?

Yes, I meant the part of the beach away from the taverna and, in fact, right beneath the apartments, nearest the main village beach. I've dropped a line to the owners of the apartments to ask what their policy is, whether they actively discourage nudists, so hopefully they'll get back and post a reply; even if from what you've all said the practice is now no longer possible on the beach.

Thanks for all the replies.

Ascot, United...
Level Contributor
23 posts
2 reviews
9. Re: Is nudism still tolerated at Levrossos beach in Egiali?

I still do not think it is a good idea when the taverna is open. If I took my bikini off there people would certainly be put off their calamari! As Marjan says there are two other beaches further along where I don’t think people would know or mind.

London, United...
6 posts
10. Re: Is nudism still tolerated at Levrossos beach in Egiali?

The people at Levrossos Beach Apartments have sent me a very polite and helpful email regarding the situation and said they will post a reply in the forum.

When I visited Egiali in 2004, Levrossos was about 30 percent nudist, nudists congregating away from the taverna and closer to where the apartments are now, and I thought it was one of the most pleasant and relaxed beaches I've been to in Greece. The apartments were being built at the time and I didn't think the owners would be too happy to have the practice continue, literally, on their doorstep, and, indeed, this appears to be the case.

Edited: 17 August 2012, 07:12