We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Aegean Air Santorini to Athens

Barre, Massachusetts
Level Contributor
113 posts
18 reviews
Save Topic
Aegean Air Santorini to Athens

We have a trip to Greece planned in September (6 nights Crete, 4 Santorini, 2 Athens). Our roundtrip flight from the US is booked, as well as out hotels & flight from Athens to Heraklion (I was able to get a 19 euro fare). I have been watching the flights from Santorini to Athens, hoping that the prices will go down, but they seem to be going in the wrong direction. The flight I want is currently 79 euro (it was 64 the other day). Should I wait to see if a saver fare shows up, or is this not likely to happen? How fast do these flights fill up? The date I'm looking at is September 23. Thanks for your help.

Devizes, United...
Level Contributor
40,216 posts
339 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Aegean Air Santorini to Athens

Hi there

Ok - September is not high season but there will still be plenty of visitors about, Getting from Santorini back to Athens is needless to say a vital part of the trip so I'd be inclined to bite the bullet and buy those tickets now.

Oregon
Destination Expert
for Santorini
Level Contributor
22,409 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Aegean Air Santorini to Athens

But first check the website for Athens Airways for cheaper fares.

athensairways.com/cgi-bin/…

Atlanta
Level Contributor
39 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Aegean Air Santorini to Athens

I have been watching the prices too for my trip in June since before Christmas (ATH/JTR round trip). The prices have moved up-and-down, and then down-and-up. It's come down again, and I've booked mine. Since your trip dates are not during the peak "summer" season, I would wait if I were you; my gut feeling says it's going to come down again. Plus, you've already seen the high price for the summer, a few euros won't make that much of a difference in the end with taxes added even if the price won't come down - nothing to lose to wait and see is what I am trying to say. Sometimes, Olympic Airlines have a sale that really ends up cheaper than Aegean. Also, if the dates work for you, there's Athens Airways too.

Region of Waterloo...
Level Contributor
54 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Aegean Air Santorini to Athens

I had been watching since January for the same flight for our trip in May. Could have bought at 32 euros but ended up having to pay 64 b/c I waited. I think it's a crap shoot either way! I just finally decided to book rather than risk no flight at all.

Barre, Massachusetts
Level Contributor
113 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Aegean Air Santorini to Athens

Thanks, brotherleelove, for the tip about Athens Air. Unfortunately, my date is not available; and since our hotels are booked, we're locked in to Sept 23. Maybe they don't fly from Santorini to Athens every day in September. I'll keep watching Aegean and Olympic for a few more days, but I'll probably wind up just paying the higher fare. What we saved on our Athens-Heraklion flight, we'll be losing on the other end. C'est la vie! (Or how do you say it in Greek?)

Oregon
Destination Expert
for Santorini
Level Contributor
22,409 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Aegean Air Santorini to Athens

"Malacca!" But don't say it in polite company ;-)

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for Skopelos
Level Contributor
37,502 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Aegean Air Santorini to Athens

Roflmao:-) Enjoyin'!

Barre, Massachusetts
Level Contributor
113 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Aegean Air Santorini to Athens

Haha... Just got home from work & checked the flights again. Aegean was back down to 64 euro, so 170 euro for two with taxes & fees. I actually got it for about $20 cheaper on Expedia (don't know why). Total of $205. Looked on Aegean again, and the price was back up to 79 euro. Please don't tell me if it goes down further... I don't want to know. Malacca!

Atlanta
Level Contributor
39 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Aegean Air Santorini to Athens

Aegean is on sale now. You should have waited - you had lots of time until your travel date. Oh well...

Oregon
Destination Expert
for Santorini
Level Contributor
22,409 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Aegean Air Santorini to Athens

W_travellers-

Shoulda, woulda, coulda............

In your seemingly omniscient, infinite 20/20-hindsight wisdom, please can you explain just how it's possible to predict if and/or when airfare sales will magically appear and how to plan hotel reservations and other date-oriented travel considerations around the unknown? Was there some reason other than to rub their noses in it that you posted this?