We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

help please!! options for ferry from mykonos

bay area, ca
6 posts
Save Topic
help please!! options for ferry from mykonos

Hi all,

I'm planning on going by ferry from Mykonos to Santorini next month on Thursday, September 10.

I've read many posts here, and done quite a bit of research, and I've found these two options for this day:

10:00-10:40, Mykonos -> Paros, Seajet 2

12:10-15:20, Paros -> Santorini, Blue Star Paros

OR

14:45-17:25, Mykonos -> Santorini, Flyingcat 4

Now, I prefer the Blue Star option for the earlier arrival time and the view going into Santorini, but I also know that Seajet 2 has a history of being delayed to the point I might miss the Blue Star altogether.

My question is, being that it's September 10th (somewhat off-season) could I actually wait until the morning of that day (9am?) to see the status of Seajet 2 before deciding to buy any tickets? I want to do this but I'm afraid by that time tickets for both options will be sold out already.

Another thought I had was to make the decision the day before (September 9th). If the Seajets have been on time the last couple of days with no problems I'd go for that option.

Any recommendations on what I should do? How soon (if ever) do economy/deck tickets for these ferries sell out in mid-September?

Thanks in advance for your time. Sorry if this has been answered already and I missed that post.

Oregon
Destination Expert
for Santorini
Level Contributor
22,659 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: help please!! options for ferry from mykonos

Yes, just wait until Sept. 10 to decide which route to take. The Seajet 2 won't be full. But don't go by previous days' performance, you can never predict a delay or mechanical breakdown. If there's a long-enough delay that you know you won't make the connection on Paros for the Blue Star just ask for a refund and go ahead and buy a ticket on the HS FC4 instead. If you can't get a refund on your Seajet ticket you're only out €19.

Birmingham, United...
Level Contributor
13,083 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: help please!! options for ferry from mykonos

I have travelled on that route and indeed both ferries on a number of occasions.

You are making it far too complex and trying to 'predict' weather and delays, it can't be done and you don't need to, it's as simple as that.

1) Day before just purchase your Seajet tickets for 10:00. Just travel on it even if it's late, once on Paros you are in a better position for ferries to Santorini.

2) On Paros just buy ticket for the next ferry to Santorini, probably the Bluestar ferry 12:10, or if not any ferry to Santorini, could be the FC4 around 15:45.

The worst that can happen is you will have time for lunch on Paros....

The main point is you are always better off being on Paros for a ferry to Santorini.

bay area, ca
6 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: help please!! options for ferry from mykonos

Thanks for the responses! You've both been extremely helpful. After seeing prices go up and spots get taken on many other parts of my trip, it's nice to know I can just go with the flow when I get to the Greek Islands and not worry about reserving stuff early. And yeah, having a nice lunch in Paros does sound pretty good to me. =)

Oregon
Destination Expert
for Santorini
Level Contributor
22,659 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: help please!! options for ferry from mykonos

Understand that both ferries from Mykonos, the Seajet and the FC4, are about the same size. If the Seajet is delayed or cancelled because of rough weather you can pretty much assume that the FC4 will probably be delayed or cancelled as well, meaning you might not be able to get to Paros by ferry at all that day.

If that's the situation and you need to get to Santorini be advised that you do have another option, the plane operated by Sky Express, which flies direct so you don't have to spend money on a flight back to Athens first. The plane is small and the baggage allowances are strict, so be sure to read the fine print under "Terms and Conditions" on their website.

http://www.skyexpress.gr

Newmarket, United...
Destination Expert
for Antiparos
Level Contributor
7,797 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: help please!! options for ferry from mykonos

I feel the best strategy is to plan on taking the first ferry, then you have a backup in case something goes wrong. That would be the SeaJet 2/Blue Star combo, and if it's late you can get a refund from the ticket agent. I've done that twice myself with SeaJet.

Weather cancellations are fairly unusual in September. Both SeaJet 2 and FlyingCat 4 sail in Force 7 winds (32-38mph), and anything above that is rare. Another point is that winds are often calmer in the morning, so you will have a better chance of a smooth sail on the 10AM catamaran.

I have commented on other threads that SeaJet 2 isn't the most reliable ferry, and that's based upon personal experience. I'm not aware of any problems it's had this summer, though.

Newmarket, United...
Destination Expert
for Antiparos
Level Contributor
7,797 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: help please!! options for ferry from mykonos

This from http://www.danae.gr/news.asp?id=207

"Repeated changes and cancellations of schedules and routes are obliging us, as of today, to put on hold our cooperation with the shipping company “Sea Jets Consortium” operating the ferries “SeaJet”, “SuperJet” and “MegaJet”, in order to protect our clients. This decision only concerns future bookings which will be unable to be done through our website. All clients who already have bought tickets with this shipping company through Danae Travel will, of course, not be affected."

Athens, Greece
Level Contributor
4,208 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: help please!! options for ferry from mykonos

..hhmmm...go with FC4.

8. Re: help please!! options for ferry from mykonos

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11 February 2010, 01:18