We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Wi-Fi hotspots on Santorini?

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
58 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
Wi-Fi hotspots on Santorini?

Hi---we are leaving in just a few days, and are so excited! Question--are there any Wi-Fi hotspots anywhere? The cave house we have rented in Oia does not have internet service, but we are bringing our laptop so that we can Skype home to check in. Ideally, a free hotspot in one of the towns would work, otherwise an internet cafe would suffice. Because of the time difference, we will be wanting to skype around 1 or 2 in the afternoon, and will most likely be at a beach or touring around. I am not crazy about calling over Skype in public or in a cafe, so am hoping there might be a hotspot in a town square or such (we could call from the car, then, with more privacy). Any suggestions or pointers greatly appreciated--- Thanks!

Oregon
Destination Expert
for Santorini
Level Contributor
22,181 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Wi-Fi hotspots on Santorini?

I don't believe you'll find a public hotspot anywhere but lots of hotels offer free wifi for their guests and you may be able to piggyback onto those signals if any are not password protected. In Oia if you position yourself between Aspaki Suites and the Castle ruins (sunset vista point), say at the Pelekanos Restaurant rooftop terrace or the one next door (can't remember the name) you should be able to pick up on their signal. I can't remember the exact password but it was a single-digit number (0-9) repeated 4 or 5 times. I'm thinking '9' but I just can't remember for sure.

UK
Level Contributor
49,561 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Wi-Fi hotspots on Santorini?

<< will most likely be at a beach or touring around.>>

There are lots of Internet cafe's in the beach resort of Kamari. I presume that some of those will let you pay for wifi access, and there may be some unsecured ones. Though if you are bringing the laptop merely for phone calls you might find it less hassle to just get a phone card or a PAYG mobile and make cheap calls, rather than steal someone else's wifi bandwidth plus have the security and other issues of a laptop at the beach.

Edited: 13 September 2010, 01:44
Washington DC...
Level Contributor
58 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Wi-Fi hotspots on Santorini?

Hi---thanks for the replies! We are bringing the laptop regardless so we can upload what I'm anticipating to be thousands of photos that my husband will be taking. We may do the cheap phone card thing. BLL---I appreciate the info! Our rental is directly next to Armeni Villas hotel, so perhaps we can pay to tap into their wireless, if available.

Santorini
Level Contributor
332 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Wi-Fi hotspots on Santorini?

If you can't piggyback on another hotel's wifi as suggested, you can go to vodafone and get a prepay internet on the go stick you put in your laptop like a USB stick.

I can't be sure of the rates or whether coverage is good but I would presume so as they advertised Santorini as having one of the best signals.

Otherwise, in Fira at Pure Cafe on the main road if you get a coffee you have free access to their wifi.

Same at Nick's Cafe in the centre, except the signal is quite patchy.

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
58 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Wi-Fi hotspots on Santorini?

Wow--thanks Atlantis! We will look into the Vodafone, or perhaps one of the cafes you mention. The main idea was to not have to drive all the way back to Oia in the middle of the day to make our calls---if we are out on one of the beaches on the other end of the island. Fira or Kamari or Perissa would be much more convenient. The Vodafone thing would solve the issue perfectly.

If we get a phone card, can they be used from any public phone---are there public pay phones around the island? In some foreign locations we have travelled to, the pre paid phone cards can't be used with the public pay phones. So, Skpe has been perfect. The laptop is actually a little netbook, so very easy to carry around, and fits into a ziplock baggie :-)

Oregon
Destination Expert
for Santorini
Level Contributor
22,181 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Wi-Fi hotspots on Santorini?

I don't know if you can tap into Aspaki's wifi signal from where you're staying. Although Aspaki will be visible the signal will be coming from the other side of the ridge upon which it sits, so you may be blocked from receiving it. Worth a try, though.....

Taipei, Taiwan
Level Contributor
107 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Wi-Fi hotspots on Santorini?

In Oia there's a tourist office at the end of the pedestrian street, just a short walk from your hotel called 'Drossis'... they have PCs with cameras and headsets... we took our netbook to Skype with our kids while we were there and found the bandwidth at the hotels was marginal, so the Skype quality was not great... however, we logged into Skype from the PCs at Drossis (2-3 euros for 15 minutes, double that for 30) and the bacdwidth/call quality was great.

In Kamari, if that's one of the beaches you are at when you want to Skype there's a restaurant/bar that specifically is an internet cafe, so that would be an option there.

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
58 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Wi-Fi hotspots on Santorini?

Great, thank you---exactly the info I was looking for!

9. Re: Wi-Fi hotspots on Santorini?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 13 March 2011, 01:18