We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

kini

durham
Level Contributor
66 posts
53 reviews
Save Topic
kini

I am travelling to Syros on Sept 24th and we really fancy staying in Kini but a lot of people, especially hotel owners in Hermouppolis, are telling me that there will be very few restaurants/tavernas open.Has anyone been to Kini at this time of the season to verify or disagree with these remarks

stockton on tees
Level Contributor
1,323 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: kini

There are no more than 2 or 3 hotels and a similar number of tavernas in Kini so it is pretty quiet even when everything is open.I stayed in Ermoupolis and used the bus to visit Kini.Personally,I love Ermoupolis,its architecture is spectacular,there are lots of nice tavernas and shops,just an interesting place to stay and explore.

durham
Level Contributor
66 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: kini

Thank you, i'll take that on board when i get there on Friday. Ermoupolis does look very nice and a good base to explore. Kini appealed because of its tranquility but don't fancy eating at the same taverna every night.

Scotland
Level Contributor
108 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: kini

Hi

We have stayed in Kini in July .......loved it. Stayed at Ligaries....excellent. Yes it is a small village but if you want quiet and walks it is good. There are a few good tavernas. Really enjoyed eating at the waters edge.

Don't know what it will be like in September but why don't you go for a night and if ok stay for as long as......

There is bus service to port which we used also.

Enjoy Syros

durham
Level Contributor
66 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: kini

Thank you, we have decided to try Kini and there are rooms available at Ligaries which you recommended. The lady i spoke to tells me it is a romantic village and there is still lots of tavernas still open so just zipping the case now and ready to go

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
2 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: kini

My wife and I stayed at Kini 13 to 15 Sept. '10 & loved the warm and friendly nature of this small town. We stated at Dimitri's "Ligaries studios" after being recommended there by Margaro who owns " Delivertis rooms". Margaro didn't was fully booked at the time but did her best to find us a room with one of her competitors. Dimitri was very friendly and couldn't do enough for us. (introduced us to Mastiha liquor which we now love). We have no complaints about his good sized rooms and, though we couldn't get to stay at Margaro's, I'd be surprised if her rooms were not just as good. This is a very friendly town who want you to enjoy their hospitality. Call them. I'm sure they won't lead you astray.

Dimitis ph +30 22810 71419 Margardo +30 22810 71450 Margardo speaks some English as does Dimitis's wife.

Edited: 04 October 2010, 01:56
durham
Level Contributor
66 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: kini

Just returned from a wonderful KIni. It is a beautiful village with a nice beach and nice people. The nearby beaches of Delfini and Varvarousa were also pleasant and accessible by foot. Because it was late in the season the choice of tavernas was limited - at best 5 were open including the wonderful Allou Yialou. We liked the Hotel Sunset because Yeoryos the owner always managed to cook something for us when there was nowhere open in the evening (most of the tavernas were open in the afternoon). Richard, you were right about Ermoupolis, it is a wonderful town to visit and explore. We had two lovely days looking round the town and the climb to Ano Syros was worth it - what spectacular views! I also went to the museum of my favourite Rebetika musician, Markos Vamvakaris.

In Kini we stayed at the Ligaries appartments which was also nice, large rooms and a peaceful location. Kini and Ermoupolis in my my opinion were the best places on the island

Ottawa
Level Contributor
2,422 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: kini

I'm so glad you enjoyed Syros. When there we stayed in Ermoupolis and visited Ano Syros and spent one full day in Kini. We loved the incredible archictecture in town and also found the views of town from Ano Syros to be amazing. Kini beach was our favourite of the three we visited. Did you find the food in Syros good? I remember the food being incredible everywhere we ate.

Karen

durham
Level Contributor
66 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: kini

I did think the food was nice but different from the Dodacanese where it tends to be more of a Middle East/Turkey influence. It was our first visit to the Cyclades as we usually visit a beautiful island called Tilos every year. The Greek Salads were wonderful, more tasty than Tilos and made even more tastier by the addition of kapari. Our favourite restaurant was Allou Yialou in Kini

9. Re: kini

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 09 April 2011, 01:19