We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

gavel or kalmar?

Which Gavle hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
greece
Level Contributor
77 posts
Save Topic
gavel or kalmar?

which place is the best for a stundent from greece to go? where are the most stundents ans some nightlife??

thanks

8 replies to this topic
Gavle, Sweden
Level Contributor
645 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: gavel or kalmar?

Hi ilias7;

Gavle is a bigger town than Kalmar. Kalmar has about 61.000 inhabitants and Gavle 94.000. Both Cities are located by the sea, but Kalmar in the southern part of Sweden and Gavle in the middle/north.

There are about 13.000 students at the University of Gavle and there is quite a lot of nightlife to choose from in the City - restaurants, pubs and nightclubs.

A couple of useful links to the University of Gavle:

hig.se/Verktyg-i-hoger/In-English/Education/…

www.hig.se/Verktyg-i-hoger/In-English.html

/sun

Chiba, Japan
Level Contributor
3 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: gavel or kalmar?

Gavle is definitely the right place for student. I would recommend the Swedish Railway Museum. It just suits you: tripadvisor.com/Attraction_Review-g189825-d1…

Gothenburg, Sweden
Level Contributor
445 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: gavel or kalmar?

Of course you should go to Kalmar since that's in southern Sweden. Gävle is in the northern part so the weather will be bad and the people will be drunk almost all the time and when they're not they will be shy and don't say a word.

Skutskar, Sweden
Level Contributor
2,178 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: gavel or kalmar?

Gävle in the northern part of Sweden?! Please bring out your map "soer"!

Gothenburg, Sweden
Level Contributor
445 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: gavel or kalmar?

I'm sorry AndersE, everything above Uppsala is northern Sweden to most of us in the south.

(Roligt att det var det enda du anmärkte på...) ;-)

On the more serious note - I've been to both Kalmar and Gävle and would say they're equally fun.

Edited: 20 December 2011, 03:42
Skutskar, Sweden
Level Contributor
2,178 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: gavel or kalmar?

That was my point! Everything north of Arlanda Airport is "Norrland" right? But we up here must keep the right order of Småland, Skåne, Halland, Blekinge, and so on!

I didnt plan to engage in a rant about the marginal differences in weather, I just say Gudrun, and Per and rest my case...

(Jag bara skojar! Men allvarligt talat är det nog ingen avgörande skillnad på vårt och ert väder.)

Gothenburg, Sweden
Level Contributor
445 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: gavel or kalmar?

Population of Norrland: approx 1.1 million

Area of Norrland: 261 292 km²

Population of Småland, Skåne, Halland and Blekinge: approx. 2.4 million

Area of Småland, Skåne, Halland and Blekinge: 47 996 km²

So yes, I think it's fair that you take an interest in the south! ;)

(Nej, du har helt rätt, ytterst få väljer att turista i Sverige för det vackra vädrets skull.)

Chiba, Japan
Level Contributor
3 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: gavel or kalmar?

One more thing is that you should have a tour guide or at least bring a map. The city is lovely or “alluring”. Following the streets along the beautiful buildings may get you lost in this city.

Reply to: gavel or kalmar?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Gavle
Recent Conversations
More Gavle Topics