We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Need Advice on Stockholm!

Which Stockholm hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
25 posts
Save Topic
Need Advice on Stockholm!

A few friends and I are traveling abroad and going to Stockholm for a weekend in early Feb. We are looking for a hostel that is not more than 120$ US a night. We want the hostel (or perhaps a boutique hotel) to be clean, central, and hip.

We'll take recommendations for restaurants (brunch or dinner), nightclubs, bars, museum - anything fun, rich-culture, hip, etc.

Thanks!

London, United...
Level Contributor
1,478 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Need Advice on Stockholm!

How many people do you need to accommodate for $120/night?

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
25 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Need Advice on Stockholm!

Just two people, myself included. So I'm not looking for anything "cheap" but we definitely can't afford anything over 120 a night. I was trying to look up nice hostels, but they all seem to have "shared bathrooms" and we are not into that. Any suggestions?

Cambridge, United...
Destination Expert
for Singapore
Level Contributor
7,943 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Need Advice on Stockholm!

OK thats about 75GBP equivalent. My initial thoughts are that might be hard to do both city centre and private bathroom. How long are you intending to stay for that weekend, just two night long weekend.

As one tip - the days you stay seems to make a difference - the weekends seem to be cheaper on a lot of the test bookings I set up on for instance expedia. Monday nights kick a lot of prices up (occasionally SUnday too), Thursday night is back up to higher costs for several.

From that I'd say if you so a Friday through Sunday night stay you can get better hotels for your bucks. Stay outside those night and you will suffer prices costs - so for your weekend you are already doing quite well on costing but if you want to add that extra night or two you might have to accept a lower hotel if squeezing that budget.

Now I'm digging some prices out based on GBP that I can find for you to get more details on so the USD price may vary some (so Im trying to avoid special deals which may be local).

Hotel Vanadis is about 1.5km from the centre of the city (which I focus on the Kungstragarden myself) but for a double with bath and window comes in under budget. The Elite Hotel Arcadia is in the same area and is just on budget for a Friday and Saturday night stay - Sunday jumps to nearly double) There's some on Sodermalm and beyond, some over to the west past City Hall (Best Western Time) but really thats the best I can do to combine location and private bathroom.

SOmething has to give, either the bathroom, move a bit further out or the budget unless you can get a good special deal - there are places like the Birgir Jarl which are hovering above the price bracket but a deal might bring down.

So you might have to simply take the deal to whichever hotel is doing it, find a hotel doing a no refund all up front deal (those seem to bring prices down about 25% for those that do it), restrict yourself to Friday and Saturday night - which seems a waste travelling all that way for two nights, Stockholm is worth so much more than that.

Sorry - I realise that isn't very encouraging but I think that you are going to have to either share a bathroom and be central or lose the central and find a good hotel on the T-bana line and get an SL travelcard to shuttle yourself in and out of the city itself (which is a perfectly good option by the way).

Also when looking I would say that you want to check exactly what is included in a deal - you might find something slightly over budget that includes extras you would want, or find something under budget and find it doesn't include something you want (breakfast being the big one...)

Edited: 12 January 2011, 03:44
London
Destination Expert
for Stockholm
Level Contributor
1,781 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Need Advice on Stockholm!

Last time I was in Stockholm, I found good deals on Expedia for:

Birger Jarl

Crystal Plaza

Clarion

Crystal Plaza has the best location of these three but also perhaps the lowest standard and isnt hip.

London
Destination Expert
for Stockholm
Level Contributor
1,781 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Need Advice on Stockholm!

I would strongly advise against Vanadis (shabby) and Arcadia (location).

Quick search on Expedia:

Crystal Plaza 70GBP (tiny rooms, great location)

Scandic Park 96 GBP (nice rooms, good location)

Courtyard Marriott 97 GBP (great rooms, acceptable location)

Scandic Anglais 104 GBP (good rooms, great location)

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
21 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Need Advice on Stockholm!

Have you considered a vacation rental apartment? TripAdvisor has a section for apartment rentals that are much cheaper and larger than hotel rooms, many for less than $150 US per night. And, you get a full kitchen and private bathroom, many have laundry facilities, dishwashers, etc.

Edited: 12 January 2011, 14:38
London, United...
Level Contributor
1,478 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Need Advice on Stockholm!

Since it's for a weekend it's worth looking to see if the Hilton Slussen still has rooms available under the half price sale. That should come in somewhere in your price range.

Stockholm
Level Contributor
722 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Need Advice on Stockholm!

The Hilton Stockholm is OK. Not as good as many of the other european Hiltons but a good location and if you find a good deal for the exec rooms it's worth it. Have spent some nights there to keep my gold hhonor VIP :)

Stockholm
Level Contributor
722 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Need Advice on Stockholm!

For brunch I recommend Sirap on Surbrunnsgatan close to Sveavägen. Quite crowded so come early (opening time). You order by plate, so no buffé. Great pancakes and atmosphere. A young crowd usually.

www.cafesirap.se/default.asp…

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
25 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Need Advice on Stockholm!

Thank you all for your wonderful advice, truly appreciate it! We decided to stay in Crystal Plaza because of its ratings and location. I know it's located in Ostermalm and I'm told it's supposed to the the bar/club/hip area - is this true? We will definitely visit Gamla Stan, but do you think we picked the right area to be in or is Sodermalm better?

Definitely going to do the suggestions on trip advisor (Vasa Museum, Old Town, etc) and we want to hit up a club called Stureplan. If anyone has more suggestions regarding clubs, cheap cafe's, non-tourist shopping streets - that would be tremendous.

I just spent the weekend in Amsterdam which was amazing, really f'ing cold, but a fabulous city no matter the weather conditions.