We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Neighborhoods in Stockholm - How is Ostermalm?

Sonoma, California
Level Contributor
77 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Neighborhoods in Stockholm - How is Ostermalm?

In checking Hotwire, they offer several neighborhoods to choose from, priced accordingly. I would like to be relatively centrally located and am considering Ostermalm, although Normalm and Gamla Stan may be considerations if the price is right.

Is Ostermalm a good choice -- or should I consider Sodermalm or Kungsholmen?

Sodermalm

Ostermalm

Kungsholmen

Norrmalm - Gamla Stan

Thank you.

Lund, Sweden
Destination Expert
for Norrkoping
Level Contributor
1,312 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Neighborhoods in Stockholm - How is Ostermalm?

Östermalm is upscale and posh. Quite nice.

Södermalm is younger and slightly bohemian.

I'd recommend Östermalm or Södermalm.

London
Destination Expert
for Stockholm
Level Contributor
1,783 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Neighborhoods in Stockholm - How is Ostermalm?

Östermalm is a great place to stay, close to shopping but also close to Djurgården Island and other attractions. Definitely better than Kungsholmen.

Norrmalm is not residential and lacks the charm of other neighborhoods.

Carlsbad, California
Level Contributor
1,260 posts
98 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Neighborhoods in Stockholm - How is Ostermalm?

I've been here for 2 weeks walking around everywhere and I have to say, Ostermalm is quite lovely. We've stayed in Sodermalm before and that too is wonderful but I find myself wondering around Ostermalm area more and being close to Djurgarden is great! Gamla Stan is in between Ostermalm & Sodermalm, there's lot going on there too but to me, Ostermalm feels more residential. I love wondering around Gamla Stan but not sure if I'd like staying there.

Sonoma, California
Level Contributor
77 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Neighborhoods in Stockholm - How is Ostermalm?

Thanks everyone for your responses. I went ahead and took a chance on Hotwire's blind offer and was booked into the Elite hotel Arcadia in Osterman at a base rate of $135 a night -- $186 a night with all taxes. In checking the hotel website, the price would be $344. Interestingly, Hotwire also revealed this hotel as an option at $20 more a night than their blind bid. Considering the price of hotels in Scandinavia, I was pleased with the price, amenities (free breakfast and wifi) and location. The location is just off Valhalla Vagen and is equi-distant to Vasastaden -- and appears very walkable. Will get the Stockholm card though!

Thanks again.

Kathy

Stockholm, Sweden
Level Contributor
570 posts
153 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Neighborhoods in Stockholm - How is Ostermalm?

I saw you'd already booked. Arcadia is an OK hotel (student apartments turned into a hotel) fairly far away from the city center basically next to the Technical Uni. However, the subway at Tekniska Högskolan is pretty close.

Stockholm is highly walkable though.

I know many don't recommend Kungsholmen and Vasastan but go for a visit. Nicer than many parts of Östermalm and more polished than parts of Södermalm (and both have some really good restaurants as well).

Sonoma, California
Level Contributor
77 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Neighborhoods in Stockholm - How is Ostermalm?

Thanks, Robbowan. I read that about Arcadia Elite AFTER I booked. I'm fine with the location as you really do get what you pay for. While Hotwire teased with hotels such as Story, etc. which is ideally situated, Priceline (which I prefer in general) only had most of Stockholm (including outlying areas) for Central Stockholm. With hotwire I was able to pick out the exact district -- even if this is at the outer edges.

So this will start my Stockholm diet which is akin to the Paris diet when you walk, walk, walk all over town. Good thing I enjoy walking.

I am curious -- there are some parks and lakes not too far -- Albano maybe? Would you recommend it as a place to spend some time -- or leave for another trip?

Thanks.

Kathy

London
Destination Expert
for Stockholm
Level Contributor
1,783 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Neighborhoods in Stockholm - How is Ostermalm?

Technically your hotel is not in Östermalm. But public transport is good and the area safe and the price pretty good so you dont have to be discontent.

London
Destination Expert
for Stockholm
Level Contributor
1,783 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Neighborhoods in Stockholm - How is Ostermalm?

You have two huge recreational areas near your hotel. To your Northeast, behind the campus of the Royal Institute of Technology (tech geek land), there is the Lill Jans forest which goes on for miles. To your Northwest, there is the Haga park, very popular during weekends.

If you want a smaller and more urban park for people watching, walk from your hotel to Humlegården. My favourite park.

Stockholm, Sweden
Level Contributor
570 posts
153 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Neighborhoods in Stockholm - How is Ostermalm?

Good suggestions from C.B. re. Lill-J and Humlegården. On a good day when my team, Djurgården, is playing Humlegården can be quite crowded by football (soccer for you yanks ;-) ) supporters having a few bevvies before game time.

Nice city park surrounded by some good restaurants and bars. Maybe not a park for long strolls but there's plenty around and, as an example, Djurgården is definately within walking distance as well.

Sonoma, California
Level Contributor
77 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Neighborhoods in Stockholm - How is Ostermalm?

Hi, Christian, I was thinking the same thing -- that Hotwire's neighborhood definition was extremely generous. Still, I'm okay with it.

Out of curiosity, what neighborhood would you classify it? Would it be closer to Gardet or Vasastaden?

Thanks.

Kathy