We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Helsinki to St Petersburg - Allegro trains 35 & 37

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
31 posts
59 reviews
Helsinki to St Petersburg - Allegro trains 35 & 37

Has anyone travelled the Allegro trains from Helsinki to St Petersburg that started service in Dec 2010 and if so did you purchase tickets on-line or at the main train station in Helsinki?We are wanting to travel this route on Monday 15 August 2011. We arrive at Helsinki airport at 6:35 in the morning and were wanting to go directly to St Petersburg. I know the Allegro 35 train departs at 10:00 and arrives at 14:36, and the Allegro 37 at 15:00 which arrives at 19:36. I'm interested in finding out how much tickets cost and any other useful information as I read somewhere you can't purchase tickets online and you can't purchase them more than 45 days in advance.

Finland
Destination Expert
for Helsinki, Finland
Level Contributor
6,508 posts
91 reviews
1. Re: Helsinki to St Petersburg - Allegro trains 35 & 37

You can purchase tickets 60 days ahead. The 10 o'clock train is fine for you. There's all the info about Allegro in www.vr.fi

Oulu, Finland
Destination Expert
for Helsinki, Oulu, Lapland
Level Contributor
4,417 posts
77 reviews
2. Re: Helsinki to St Petersburg - Allegro trains 35 & 37

The exact link for Allegro: www.vr.fi/en/index/ulkomaat/venaja.html

Tickets for trains between Finland and Russia cannot be purchased online or onboard the train. They are sold at the earliest 8 weeks in advance in major Finnish Railways' (VR) stations and travel agencies. You can book the tickets by email at Kansainvalinen.Lipunmyynti@vr.fi .

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
2 posts
3 reviews
3. Re: Helsinki to St Petersburg - Allegro trains 35 & 37

Hello, I just booked the same train (Allegro 37) departing to St.P at 15:00 for AUD $158 for two adults through RailEurope. I hear the Finnish trains are much more comfortable and reliable than the Russian trains, but I will be able to say for myself when i travel around the end of June.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
2 posts
3 reviews
4. Re: Helsinki to St Petersburg - Allegro trains 35 & 37

Hello, I just booked the same train (Allegro 37) departing to St.P at 15:00 for AUD $158 for two adults through RailEurope. I hear the Finnish trains are much more comfortable and reliable than the Russian trains, but I will be able to say for myself when i travel around the end of June.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
31 posts
59 reviews
5. Re: Helsinki to St Petersburg - Allegro trains 35 & 37

Hi everyone, thanks for your replies. I just tried to do a dummy booking through Rail Europe in Australia and it looks like I can purchase tickets online. I used a date about 8 weeks prior to travel. The total cost of the tickets for 2 adults for the 3rd June is $310.00, however I will be travelling in August. Thanks again, appreciate your time.

Quainton, United...
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
9,407 posts
4 reviews
6. Re: Helsinki to St Petersburg - Allegro trains 35 & 37

Just for clarity:

"I hear the Finnish trains are much more comfortable and reliable than the Russian trains".

Not any more. This is a pre-December 2010 / Pre-Allegro comment, when the Russians provided the stock for the 'Repin' and the Finns the stock for the 'Sibelius'.

As from december 2010 all Allegro trains are now identical smart modern Pendlino trains, run by Karellian trains, a joint venture of Russian and Finnish railways. They have 1st & 2nd class, a restaurant, children's play area, power sockets at seats.

From 29 May 2011, the service is doubled, from 2 to 4 trains a day each way. Journey time is just 3.5 hours, and passenger numbers are already 24% up since December! Have a great trip!

Oulu, Finland
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
4,417 posts
77 reviews
7. Re: Helsinki to St Petersburg - Allegro trains 35 & 37

I would not purchase the tickets for 310 AUD/2 persons (= ca 228 EUR) ! Through Finnish Railways (VR) you pay €84/person (until the end of June), 1 July - 31 August the fare is €92.20/person/oneway. Just contact the VR service center through email or telephone, they will serve you in English at tel. +358 9 2319 2902 or Kansainvalinen.Lipunmyynti@vr.fi.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
31 posts
59 reviews
8. Re: Helsinki to St Petersburg - Allegro trains 35 & 37

Hi Zam, I had already seen the ticket prices through Finnish railways and knew they were cheaper and had already written to them but haven't received a reply. My only concern is that you can't book the tickets online beforehand so I would have to take my chances on the day. We are flying into Helsinki from Bangkok and arrive at 6.35am and plan to head straight to St Petersburg on the 10.00am Allegro 35 train. I don't want to be stuck in Helsinki without a ticket for travel when I have accommodation booked in SPB for that night. I'm concerned that I might be cutting it too fine. I've also got travel agents here in Australia looking at ticket pruchases as well so I'll see how prices compare. Thanks for the info.

Oulu, Finland
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
4,417 posts
77 reviews
9. Re: Helsinki to St Petersburg - Allegro trains 35 & 37

By contacting the VR customer service they can book the tickets for you and you only have to pick them up on the day of departure.

Finland
Destination Expert
for Helsinki, Finland
Level Contributor
6,508 posts
91 reviews
10. Re: Helsinki to St Petersburg - Allegro trains 35 & 37

When e-mailing to international.tickets@vr.fi and ordering tickests for Russia they'll need your names, birthdays, nationalities and passport numbers and of course the dates and times of travel.

Don't worry they'll answer with the ticket details as the order is processed. But don't contact them any earlier than before 60 days prior to your departure.