We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

2.5 days in Iceland

NY
Level Contributor
278 posts
2 reviews
2.5 days in Iceland

We will arrive in Iceland this Saturday at 5am and leave on Monday at 3:15 pm

I am thinking of getting a car at the airport, immediately drive to Golden Ring, then, possibly, continue to Barnafoss/Eyjafjallajökull and return to Reykjavic for the night.

On Sunday go north: Borgarfjörður, if there is enough time, to Snaefelles. Return to Reykjavic just to sleep.

Monday morning: walk in Reykjavic, museums... and fly away.

Does this make sense?

Is there a better idea?

We do NOT want to go to Blue Lagoon, is there another thermal pool, less touristy, within reach on our way?

Is there a chance to see Northern Lights? I remember that there was a site that showed the likely places for it in real time. Can someone point me to it?

13 replies to this topic
Boston...
Level Contributor
23,648 posts
748 reviews
1. Re: 2.5 days in Iceland

Unless you have Arctic winter driving experience, this is a bad or dangerous pkan.

It is solidly winter now in Iceland.

Read the 2018 Winter driving thread

Los Alamos, New...
Level Contributor
3,399 posts
149 reviews
2. Re: 2.5 days in Iceland

I'm sorry but this clearly isn't a well thought out plan. First of all, driving is a bad idea after an early arrival following a trans-Pacific flight. Upon arrival, your body's clock will be at midnight. We we arrived from North America, we had a lot of energy from excitement and adrenaline when we got to the airport but about half way from the airport to the city, we started fading big time as our body clocks started overtaking the adrenaline. Driving definitely would have been very unsafe. Secondly, even a well-adjusted person with no arctic winter driving conditions should never drive in Iceland during the winter months. You need to stick to tours. On day 1, take the Flybus into the city, drop your bags either at your hotel or in the locker at the BSI bus ternimal, and then take a day tour of the Golden Circle. On the next day, do a day tour up to Snaefellsnes. It's amazing.

NY
Level Contributor
278 posts
2 reviews
3. Re: 2.5 days in Iceland

>>Unless you have Arctic winter driving experience, this is a bad or dangerous pkan.

>>It is solidly winter now in Iceland.

I don't know what you consider Arctic winter but weather forecast in Iceland for the weekend is 44F. Not different from our east coast winters.

MooreUSA, any tour shows about 30% of what you can see by your own. As for jetlag, there are "No jetlag" pills sold in any WholeFoods store. I highly recommend them to you, you take them every 2 hours and feel no jetlag whatsoever.

I would still like help but with places where to go, with thermal pool locations, northern lights, etc.

Boston...
Level Contributor
23,648 posts
748 reviews
4. Re: 2.5 days in Iceland

Forecasts in Iceland more than 48 hours out are worthless.

La Grange, Texas
Level Contributor
892 posts
128 reviews
5. Re: 2.5 days in Iceland

It's not just temps, but the freeze thaw cycle, the narrow elevated barren roads, and the strong winds. You could have very nice weather, or it could be very dangerous. You will need to keep a close eye on the road and weather condition websites. You will definitely have much less daylight than you are used to. Most of your driving, and site seeing, will be in the dark, on unfamiliar roads.

Realistically, I doubt any of the DE's here would endorse "no jet lag" pills as a way to safely tour their country.

This is a May-September plan ideally. Even then, that first day seems very long.

Canada
Level Contributor
10,586 posts
81 reviews
6. Re: 2.5 days in Iceland

"no jet lag pills" are great for me. For others they have little effect. Take a tour to see the NLs. The pros know what they are doing, where to go and are in constant contact with each other.

Reykjavik, Iceland
Destination Expert
for Iceland
Level Contributor
14,160 posts
60 reviews
7. Re: 2.5 days in Iceland

Saturday and Sunday itinerary are impossible even in summer.

Saturday: Barnafoss and Eyjafjallajökull are in opossite directions.

You repeat the location on Sunday since Barnafoss is in Borgarfjörður.

The best part of the Snæfellsnes Peninsula is at the very tip of it, where the National Park is. Including Borgarfjörður effectively makes it a two-day plan.

Concerning pills to NOT FEEL jetlag, how is that acceptable? Alcohol and drugs would do the same for a driver. Is that recommendable?

Enjoy your visit. You may need to think the plan over.

I won't tell you anything about the self driving idea because I don't think you're ready to understand that.

NY
Level Contributor
278 posts
2 reviews
8. Re: 2.5 days in Iceland

yes-Rvk, I have make a mistake with the name. I meant not Barnafoss on Saturday but another waterfall near Eyjafjallajökull. Can't remember the name now, just remember that there are stairs to the top of it.

I also think that I will not have time to get to Snæfellsnes, have to limit myself to Borgarfjörður. Unless I drive to Borgarfjörður in the dark on Saturday evening or leave Reykjavic with the sunrise. Not sure if is reasonable, I guess I have to see how the weather is.

"No Jetlag" pills are acutally quite effective, they do not work the way drugs do, they adjust level of melatonin in your body so you biological clock is reset. There are no side effects, I have been using them for years.

Could you recommend a thermal pool on the way? I have read somewhere about a "Secret lagoon" not far from Golden Ring route. Perhaps, there are others and better ones (meaning rustic and not touristy)?

To all others: I understand and greatly appreciate that you are trying to help but I really do not need advice on whether to drive or not. I need advice on the best itinerary to make and places to see.

Augsburg
Level Contributor
266 posts
206 reviews
9. Re: 2.5 days in Iceland

Narod5, go and make your own experiences. And when you have your lessons learned, write them down here.

Your thermal pool search, ask locals on site. Wondering why people ask for opinions and if they clash with seasoned persons they brush aside. Have a funny trip.

Los Alamos, New...
Level Contributor
3,399 posts
149 reviews
10. Re: 2.5 days in Iceland

Because whether he admits it or not, the OP is actually not interested in advice from those who are experienced but rather he wants someone to validate his plan.

Reply to: 2.5 days in Iceland
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted