We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Driving Times on Ring Road

Billings, Missouri
Level Contributor
7 posts
69 reviews
Save Topic
Driving Times on Ring Road

We are trying to plan a trip to Iceland in late October through very early November and we're having difficulty trying to determine driving times between towns on the Ring Road. We will be driving a rental car - not 4-wheel drive. Is the Ring Road closed by weather often during this time? With normal driving conditions (which I understand are slower than Americans are often used to given like distances - hence my uncertainty), how long should it take to drive from Skaftafell to Hofn; from Hofn to Egilsstadir; from Egilsstadir to Lake Myvatn; and from Akureyri to Reykjavik going toward the west?

Thank you very much for any help you can give.

Reykjavik, Iceland
Level Contributor
2,734 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Driving Times on Ring Road

It's possible that parts of the ring road could be closed due to weather - snow in the east and north, and high winds south of Eyjafjallajökull - but closures are only occasional and rarely for more than a few hours. You'd be unlucky if you get caught by such weather.

When I suggest approximate times in these forums I usually base ring road times on an average speed of 70kph. If you don't break the speed limit then you'll be hard pressed to exceed this average - you always have reduced speed limits through towns and villages; in summer you'll have more traffic, and in winter weather / road conditions will slow you. So, 70kph is a good average for the ring road - less on certain other roads, of course!

You'll find distances here (in Icelandic, but you should be able to follow it) vegagerdin.is/vegakerfid/…

So, Skaftafell-Höfn is 136km - allow up to 2 hours non-stop; in practice you'll probably do this is somewhat less. Egilsstaðir-Reykjahlíð við Mývatn is 165km - say 2½ hours without stopping.

Billings, Missouri
Level Contributor
7 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Driving Times on Ring Road

Thank you so much! As a former math teacher, I could do the arithmetic but just had no idea about the actual travel speed that was possible. Now I can factor in the time to see and do things--and there is so much to see and do!

Reykjavik, Iceland
Level Contributor
2,734 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Driving Times on Ring Road

I should have mentioned that maximum speed limits are 90kph on tar, 80kph on gravel. In cities, towns and villages you'll find different limits - sometimes 80kph, often 70 and 50; and in residential areas 30kph. There may be other limits is certain areas. They are all clearly signposted and not seeing a sign is no excuse to avoid very heavy speeding fines!

Billings, Missouri
Level Contributor
7 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Driving Times on Ring Road

I've read a lot about the speeding fine in Iceland and we have traveled enough to know that speeding is silly for lots of reasons. But we have also found that assuming you can travel the speed limit and planning times on that factor alone is apt to cause problems. Thank you very much for your realistic advice regarding travel times.

5. Re: Driving Times on Ring Road

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 October 2012, 16:16