We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What to wear?

Birmingham
Level Contributor
105 posts
1 review
Save Topic
What to wear?

I am travelling to Reykjavik at the end of March and staying for 4 nights. We are planning to do the Golden Circle including snow mobiling and also plan to visit some nice restaurants.

Do I need to buy special thermal clothings or is it ok to wear jeans/leggings with plenty of layers? what about the evenings out? Is it still ok to wear jeans and jumpers?

Thanks

192 replies to this topic
Icelander in...
Destination Expert
for Iceland
Level Contributor
10,836 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: What to wear?

Jeans are not recommended for any tours in March, they are good for clubbing if clean. Wear layers and waterproof ,,outer shell" for tours, and no jeans or cotton !

Pittsburgh...
Level Contributor
3 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: What to wear?

I am in Iceland right now and I have worn nothing but jeans. Some days and tours I wore an under layer, but really jeans are fine

Yorkshire, United...
Level Contributor
150 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: What to wear?

Jeans are fine in the city and depending on the weather you may appreciate a thermal layer. You can always get back to the hotel if wet.

For tours if you want to wear jeans you should carry some waterproof over-trousers, just in case. Nothing worse than cold wet jeans! Doing activities, appropriate clothing is provided.

Icelanders don't care what you wear in the evening...they only care that you shower naked at the public pools!

NYC
Level Contributor
1,284 posts
168 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: What to wear?

Rain pants are essential. They weigh nothing and make a rainy day no problem. Hiking, walking, etc in jeans in wet weather is miserable. No need to spend a lot. But I'd keep the rain pants balled up in a day pack ready to use. Also a jacket with good to keep rain out. Jackets without hood are not practical-- hats don't keep water off neck and from dripping inside very well.

uk
Level Contributor
26 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: What to wear?

Yes take waterproof trousers. I was out in jeans and woolly tights here yesterday and was awful when they got soaked through and had to sit in them all day. Weather changes so quickly!

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
111 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: What to wear?

I am very confused by all this talk of waterproof trousers. I don't understand why a person who is wearing pants/jeans (or even a skirt!) and brings with him/her a good and very long rain jacket that reaches the feet isn't gonna be okay. Such a rain jacket, if long enough, should prevent anyone from getting soaked by the rain so why the need for waterproof trousers? Is there something I am missing?

NYC
Level Contributor
1,284 posts
168 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: What to wear?

You cannot wear a coat to the feet on a snowmobile very comfortably. If you really want to go the long coat route, nothing stopping you. The idea is just to keep water off your legs so your pants don't get soaked. The wind can be vicious, too, so any long coat should be such that it won't flap like a flag in a storm if the rain and wind kick up. If you decide to get a pair of rain pants, they are available from places like Northface, Paragon Sports, and Patagonia or REI or EMS in NYC. The cheaper pairs are fine for the sort of stuff you are doing and are about $100.

Rockaway, New Jersey
Level Contributor
2,795 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: What to wear?

I also wore jeans when I went to Iceland (went on lots of day trips) and it rained every day but I had no problem with wet jeans. I bought rain pants from LL Bean just in case but never needed them. They were super cheap, like $30.

In addition, I wore a long sleeve shirts, a fleece jacket and a waterproof shell along with waterproof hiking sneakers. The exact same clothes I am bringing when we go back in June. =)

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
111 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: What to wear?

Well, I see what people are saying about the benefits of the pants but if I already own a long rain jacket, then I'm not sure I want to invest in rain pants that will be used SOLELY for my Iceland trip (though the $30 ones sound better than the $100 ones!).

I don't intend on going on any snowmobiles when I'm there. Just driving to places like the Golden Circle and Snaefellsnes and driving back to Reykjavik. I have really good walking sneakers (that are not waterproof) as well as waterproof snow boots. But I don't have waterproof hiking boots. Are those really a must for the day trips from Reykjavik that I mentioned above?

Rockaway, New Jersey
Level Contributor
2,795 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: What to wear?

I would say yes...the terrain can be slippery, wet and rocky and I think you would do well to get the waterproof hiking boots/sneakers. I would get them, break them in and don't bother with the regular walking sneakers. I got mine at Zappo's...they were about $80 but worth every penny. Very comfortable and good grip on the bottom.

And I would also say don't bother with the rainpants but I know a lot of others would disagree...

Reply to: What to wear?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted