We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Just back from 2 weeks in Malta... our thoughts on our trip

Stirling, United...
Level Contributor
21 posts
17 reviews
Just back from 2 weeks in Malta... our thoughts on our trip

Hi Guys, Got back last week from a 2 week stay in Malta. It was our first time there and we wanted to share our thoughts and experiences with you all .

Please bear in mind these are only " our " opinions and some of the things we found are not critisism .

I know a few Maltese read these forums and I am not out to upset or offend anyone with the negatives .

We stayed in The White Dolphin apartments on the Qawra Coast Road overlooking Salina Bay .

The place wasnt exactly spotless but it was only a base to explore from . Some faults with the apartment, the oven door didnt close properly ( we didnt cook once so not a real problem ) , a dripping tap in the sink was a pain but I borrowed a wrench from the restaurant owner and fixed it myself and the beds were very lumpy and uncomfortable .

That said it was in an ideal quiet location , the staff at the hotel and the bar/ restaurant were just superb . Food in the adjoining restaurant was excellent and we ate there most breakfast times and a couple of times at night too .

We hired a car through ECH and got a great deal ( thanks to scubapro for the advice ) . It was delivered and picked up exactly as agreed and again the staff were excellent .

Malta itself was a mixed bag . Some places looked a wee bit run down, it did add to the character though and we saw all the Island inc Gozo from top to bottom and back again .

Driving for the nervous is not recommended although to be fair I found Italy to be 5 times worse .

The roads signs could drive you nuts, you follow a sign , come to a junction then no more directions so you have to guess whether to go right or left .

Found ourselves in some really wierd places but all you do is stop and ask someone. So friendly and so helpful .

The food was also good everywhere and better value than back home . Sometimes too much choice especially in Qawra / Bugibba but never once left a restaurant feeling ripped off .

Loved Hopleaf beer ( mmmmmm ) pastizzi, bragoli, the tuna rolls and definately the best bread in the world .

But what really was the thing we loved the most was simply the Maltese people .

From the smallest village to Valetta everyone we met were very friendly, helpful and happy to help .

To summarise we will return to Malta in the future and would recommend the Islands to friends .

Penzance, United...
Level Contributor
629 posts
1 review
1. Re: Just back from 2 weeks in Malta... our thoughts on our trip

Hi Ranger thanks for the trip report, Glad you enjoyed Malta and will return and recommend Malta & Gozo to friends.

It is all down to expectations, you had a few niggles, but sound positive people who don't let failing oven doors spoil a holiday - we have had reports where that would have been the end of a good holiday and the people would never return again.

As you say the Maltese people are so helpful and friendly, maybe the odd hotel staff are surly but they are poorly paid and fed up with moaning Brits, again this shouldn't ruin a holiday. Days out exploring make up for any niggles, and at the end of the day, it can be an inexpensive holiday. Start saving, and looking forward to your next visit!

Regards Trisha

malta
Destination Expert
for Malta
Level Contributor
6,334 posts
15 reviews
2. Re: Just back from 2 weeks in Malta... our thoughts on our trip

You seem to go abroad with the same attitude I do - I refuse to let anything or anyone spoil my holiday ! !

Some people seem to have such a depressing attitude and seem to go all out to find fault - and once they`ve found it they spend all their holiday dwelling on it.

The latest `gem` I`ve read is that Monte Carlo is too clean and perfect, and so looks artificial and sterilised.

At least Malta is so small, that even if you do get lost withing a short time you`ll find your way. When we took a wrong turning on the Motorway from the Lake District, we ended up miles off our route.

Newcastle
Destination Expert
for Malta, Island of Malta
Level Contributor
3,221 posts
8 reviews
3. Re: Just back from 2 weeks in Malta... our thoughts on our trip

Glad you enjoyed your holiday in Malta and Gozo - there is so much to see and do and at least at this time of the year it isn't too hot to do that not like in July and August. You'll have to return to explore and discover more.

I agree, the Maltese are very friendly(not that I'm biased or anything!), they will even offer help if they see you standing at a street corner with a map in your hands.

lanarkshire
Level Contributor
26 posts
4. Re: Just back from 2 weeks in Malta... our thoughts on our trip

totally agree with you the people are great and the bread must be the best in the world.

Bragoli what a treat for your tastebuds i look forward to my next taste next year. Glad you enjoyed it.

London
Level Contributor
1,364 posts
6 reviews
5. Re: Just back from 2 weeks in Malta... our thoughts on our trip

Great report.

You loved the Maltese people - obviously didn't use the 62 bus then!

Only joking, all the drivers back in May seemed to be on a charm offensive, brought on by the change in currency, wasn't till the end of the week that I was shouted at for putting a bag on the seat, I was starting to miss the aggression! Still I can't wait for my next trip back, whenever that will be, next Spring I hope.

You'll laugh about your dodgy apartment in years to come.

Cheers

Ntd

6. Re: Just back from 2 weeks in Malta... our thoughts on our trip

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10 October 2009, 02:17
Get answers to your questions about Malta
Recent Conversations