We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bike hire

Birmingham
Level Contributor
20 posts
26 reviews
Save Topic
Bike hire

Hi

We are reasonably fit cyclists doing about 40 miles most sundays in the uk. We have never hired bikes abroad as the 'wrong side of the road' has always been an issue but we are thinking of hiring in Paphos.

a) Is there bike hire available?

b) is there anywhere to go within about a 2hr ride?

c) how bad is the traffic?

d) is this a good or a bad idea?

Any advice would be helpfull

Thanks

Steve

Gosport, United...
Level Contributor
6,320 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Bike hire

Cyprus has it's own Highway Code. Everything you would (or should) get pulled over for in UK is par for the course in Cyprus.

Don't expect any courtesies from drivers.

Defensive driving is essential, and always be prepared for the unexpected.

Drink driving is common, expats are as bad as anyone.

Hire cars have red number plates, mainly used by holidaymakers. There are a lot of them. Drivers of these vehicles may not be familiar with the area they are in, and looking out for cyclists won't be part of their mind-set

The general state of the roads aren't that good, but you'll be used to that in UK!

That said, you do see cyclists. If it was me I'd be up early at about 0530, and have an hour or two spin then.

Nicosia, Cyprus
Level Contributor
554 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Bike hire

Cycling has become quite popular in recent years and there are more and more cycle lanes/ bike routes being created. If you are a bit wary of cycling on your own because of the "wrong side of the road" issue you might want to consider going cycling with a group, useful contacts either for bike hire or organised tours include: www.bikeCyprus.com, www.zypernbike.com or the Cyprus cycling federation at ccf@cytanet.com.cy. You can also get a free booklet from the Cyprus Tourism Organisation (offices in all towns) detailing suggested cycling route, there are a few in the Paphos area including Geroskipou-Tsada-Paphos- 24km, Kato Paphos-Timi Forest- 12km, Polis-Neo-Chorio-Akamas lighthouse- 22km, Polis-Fasli-Polis 23km and Polis-Agios Merkourios-Argaka-Polis, difficulty ratings, route descriptions and maps are included in the CTO booklet.

Sheffield, United...
Level Contributor
3,813 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Bike hire

In Cyprus they drive on the same side as UK.

Birmingham
Level Contributor
20 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Bike hire

Thanks, thats really handy to know. Had a look at the the CTO site and there are a couple on there that we would be interested in.

I'm quite an experienced cyclist doing about 2.5k miles per year. My wife does less as she only comes out with me at the weekend but is quite confident and pretty fit. We live in Birmingham so defensive cycling is a must. We have only been put off before because of the wrong side of the road issue or because there didn't seem to be places within easy reach. I'm also aware of the heat issue so would be looking to do a fairly easy one (Timi perhaps) to see how we get on and then maybe doing something more adventurous.

This will be our first time in Cyprus (1-15 Sept) and I have been busily scouring this site for tips. Really looking forward to trying the mezzes and finding some local bars/restaurants if we can - we do tend to avoid the British places, plenty of them at home!

Thanks again to all for their help and advice in this and the other threads.

Steve & Anne

Chorley
Level Contributor
668 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Bike hire

Hi

I think cycling in Paphos is a great idea as once you get out of town the roads are very quiet and there are some great villages and countryside to explore. It is one thing that I have considered before, however, it would be too hot, unless like others have said, you are out very early. In short it is very much like being at home, with the highway code, but they dont always follow it, but it will be sunny though. Good Luck

Yorkshire/Paphos
Level Contributor
283 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Bike hire

There are some organisations which will take you to the top of the Troodos and let you ride down.

They then pick you up at the bottom to take you back to Paphos.

That could be less hot but more expensive.

Try www.enjoycyprus.com/mountainbikingcyprus.htm, http://www.wheeliecyprus.com/index.html or others.

CL

Gosport, United...
Level Contributor
6,320 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Bike hire

This is worth a read:

http://www.cyprus-forum.com/cyprus18320.html

8. Re: Bike hire

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 07 February 2011, 01:17