We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Transfering from one airline to LOT at VIE, no seat assigned

Taipei, Taiwan
Level Contributor
1,046 posts
329 reviews
Transfering from one airline to LOT at VIE, no seat assigned

Hi all,

I have a transfer flight in Vienna and it is transferring to Polish LOT airlines, I do not have a seat assignment, they said you have to do it at the airport, but I do not think I will get one at my city of departure as it is outside of Europe. At transfer in VIE, is there a transfer desk to get a seat assignment? Or do I have to exit and go back to the counters? Or wait for the gate to open to get a seat assignment? I am not even sure I will get a boarding pass at origin.

Best Seller
The Original Sound of Music Tour in...
2,251 Reviews
from US$52.90*
Likely To Sell Out
Schönbrunn Palace Evening: Palace...
684 Reviews
from US$111.80*
Melk Abbey and Danube Valley Day Trip...
1,203 Reviews
from US$92.90*
17 replies to this topic
Bratislava, Slovakia
Level Contributor
1,030 posts
61 reviews
1. Re: Transfering from one airline to LOT at VIE, no seat assigned

If your whole trip is on the same ticket, your seat will normally be assigned when you check-in (whether online or at the airport) and will be printed on a boarding pass. In a rare case when outstation can't print the boarding pass (or prints the boarding pass without seat assignment), you can use transfer desks located airside at Vienna airport or ask gate staff for assistance.

Taipei, Taiwan
Level Contributor
1,046 posts
329 reviews
2. Re: Transfering from one airline to LOT at VIE, no seat assigned

My whole ticket is together but I was unable to choose seats as the airlines were different, but sold together. I am hoping that I can choose or be assigned at seat at origin. I figured there should be a transfer desk somewhere between gates. I heard Vienna is very fast to Transit. Is there security to go through after landing to transfer? I would think so as every airport I have been to will do it. Thanks.

Bratislava, Slovakia
Level Contributor
1,030 posts
61 reviews
3. Re: Transfering from one airline to LOT at VIE, no seat assigned

On-line check-in often doesn't work for flights with different airlines, but airport check-in desk should be able to assist you and print your boarding passes all the way to your final destination. If they don't, then you can use transfer desk located between gates.

Whether you need to clear security when transferring at VIE depends on where exactly you arrive from, but for most flights from outside Europe you indeed need to go through security again. You will also clear immigration in Vienna.

Taipei, Taiwan
Level Contributor
1,046 posts
329 reviews
4. Re: Transfering from one airline to LOT at VIE, no seat assigned

I won't be doing online check-in, I will be going to the counter at origin. I hope they can figure it out for me. I know I can check my luggage to final destination, as the tickets were bought together from the same airline and they are partnered with them. I may have to use the transfer desk in Vienna as you mentioned. I will have to see what happens.

I will be arriving from outside Europe, so... I will need to clear immigration also? But I am not going out of the airport.. The only place they will look at my passport usually is at the gate. This is at least at other airports around the world. I know in Amsterdam they do check passports before going through security again. I am a little surprised that I have to go through immigration in Vienna for a transfer flight to Poland... Odd... Are they going to stamp my passport then too?

Bratislava, Slovakia
Level Contributor
1,030 posts
61 reviews
5. Re: Transfering from one airline to LOT at VIE, no seat assigned

Since you're transferring to LOT flight, I presumed you're travelling to Poland. In that case you need to clear immigration because Vienna is your point of entry into the Schengen area. Flight from Vienna to Poland is internal Schengen flight, equivalent of domestic flight for all practical purposes - there won't be any passport control in Poland. Your passport will be stamped in Vienna, not Warsaw (or any other Polish destination you're flying to).

Taipei, Taiwan
Level Contributor
1,046 posts
329 reviews
6. Re: Transfering from one airline to LOT at VIE, no seat assigned

Yes, I am going to Poland and transferring in Vienna from Asia. Oh, right, yes, I forgot... The Schengen area visa issue, I forgot about that, so you are right, yes, I have to clear customs and immigration in Vienna, so do I need to get my checked luggage in Vienna also and then recheck it?

This is the first time I am transferring in Europe, so I forgot about that part. So how does checked luggage work here? Just like in the US for international flights changing to domestic? Pick up checked luggage, go through customs, then give it back to customs agents on the same floor as the carosel and then proceed to security and reenter the terminal gate area?

Vienna, Austria
Destination Expert
for Vienna
Level Contributor
2,726 posts
5 reviews
7. Re: Transfering from one airline to LOT at VIE, no seat assigned

You have a ticket. The airline will assign a seat for you. No need to worry.

Bratislava, Slovakia
Level Contributor
1,030 posts
61 reviews
8. Re: Transfering from one airline to LOT at VIE, no seat assigned

No, your baggage will go all the way to Poland, you will only clear immigration in Vienna. Customs will be cleared in Poland once you have your baggage (but clearing customs in the EU usually means just walking through "nothing to declare" area).

So in Vienna you only go through transfer security and passport control. Should you have any problem getting boarding pass at origin airport, this will be quickly resolved at transfer desk (as I said, this is unlikely, I did quite a lot worldwide trips and only had such issue once).

Taipei, Taiwan
Level Contributor
1,046 posts
329 reviews
9. Re: Transfering from one airline to LOT at VIE, no seat assigned

Oh, so that means immigration in Vienna, but customs and bag pick up in Warsaw? A little different than the US then.

Basically seems quite simple then. Thank you. And I agree it should not be any issue for the ticketing.

May I ask you if you have any experience in Frankfurt? I will be going through Frankfurt on the way back to Asia. I have heard that for transit flights inter-European coming in, but international going out security is actually done at the gate and everything needs to come out of your carry on bags.

Bratislava, Slovakia
Level Contributor
1,030 posts
61 reviews
10. Re: Transfering from one airline to LOT at VIE, no seat assigned

Correct :) Also note that EU customs work completely differently than in the US. There is no form and no person to ask you questions. There are two exits - nothing to declare and goods to declare. If you don't carry anything subject to customs, you go through nothing to declare exit and that's it (unless they choose you for random check).

Regarding transfer in Frankfurt, I believe you won't be required to go through security at FRA as you will be arriving from Poland which is EU and therefore trusted to have appropriate security standards. I believe at-gate security is only applicable for travel to certain high-risk destinations such as Israel or US. I did VIE-FRA-SIN some time ago and there was no security at FRA.

You will clear imigration in Frankfurt on your return trip.

Edited: 20 September 2018, 06:49
Reply to: Transfering from one airline to LOT at VIE, no seat assigned
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted