We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Pretty villages, lakes, bit of scenic walking in 4 days

London, United...
Level Contributor
8 posts
7 reviews
Pretty villages, lakes, bit of scenic walking in 4 days

Hello all, Wife and I would be reaching Salzburg 22nd September morning and departing 26th morning.

So we have 3.5 days available.

Would like to be outdoors and see the natural scenic places around. Can hire a car if suggested.

Few things I've come across are as below. Would be great if someone can suggest order of doing these.

stubai glacier

Tobogganing

Schafberg Railway

Gollinger Wasserfall

Krimml Waterfalls

derdachstein

Eisriesenwelt Ice caves - worth doing?

Should we go to Tyrol for true mountain hut experience may be for a night? I don't think we can fit in hut to hut walk on a day as such?

5 replies to this topic
York, United Kingdom
Level Contributor
4,516 posts
72 reviews
1. Re: Pretty villages, lakes, bit of scenic walking in 4 days

Trying to do too much.The area immediately around Salzburg has more than enough to offer

Salzburg will need 1 day.

You can go to St Gilgen using 150 bus, take the ferry across to the Schafberg then do St Wolfgang----another full day.

Stubai----too far away. 3 hours drive from Salzburg

Tobogganing---no snow but you could do the summer rodelbahn near St Gilgen/Strobl on your day to St Wolfgang

Krimml----too far. 2.5 hours by car or 3.5 on public transport

Ice caves can be visited at Werfen or on the Dachstein above Hallstatt.This would also give you cahnce to visit Hallstatt and maybe fit in a short high level hike.https://dachstein-salzkammergut.com/en/summer/summer-mountain/dachstein-in-the-salzkammergut/

Dublin, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Austria
Level Contributor
26,130 posts
78 reviews
2. Re: Pretty villages, lakes, bit of scenic walking in 4 days

roefamily and myself have a habit of agreeing on almost everything, as we both know the area very well!

and once again, i agree fully ! but will expand slightly

wolfgangsee has the schafbergbahn which is marvellous. featured on michael portillos great continental rail journeys, and he described it in very glowing terms. he also visited the kaiservilla in nearby bad ischl, where declaration of war against serbia, precipitating WW1, was signed. also on the wolfgangsee is the zwolferhorn with its gondola lift

around hallstatt area, you have the 5 fingers viewing platform and the ice caves. also is the nearby gosausee

some great hiking around the wolfgangsee and the gosausee (which has mountain huts)

i would skip any long distance places and concentrate on salzburg and surrounds. you might even find that 4 days in that area is not enough!

all these places can be visited by public transport, but a car would make it quicker and easier to get around.

London, United...
Level Contributor
8 posts
7 reviews
3. Re: Pretty villages, lakes, bit of scenic walking in 4 days

Thanks both. Sorry completely forgot to mention about Halstatt and area around which looks lovely.

Would doing High alpine road be good experience? It may take nearly whole day if we do this at slow pace in the hire car taking opportunity to take pictures and admire the beauty.

What are suggested places to stay please? Hallstatt seems expensive specially last minute.

Is Bad ischl or St gilgen any good for stay point of view?

Dublin, Ireland
Destination Expert
for Austria
Level Contributor
26,130 posts
78 reviews
4. Re: Pretty villages, lakes, bit of scenic walking in 4 days

bad ischl or st gilgen would be by far the best places to stay. hallstatt is very small, and very quite after tourist buses have gone. also too far out to male other places accessible

York, United Kingdom
Level Contributor
4,516 posts
72 reviews
5. Re: Pretty villages, lakes, bit of scenic walking in 4 days

Yes----forget the high alpine road---too much in the short stay you have and stick with the plan. Staying in St Gilgen ----nearer to Salzburg or Bad Ischl ---close to Hallstatt makes sense

Reply to: Pretty villages, lakes, bit of scenic walking in 4 days
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted