We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Restaurant bar dinner service?

Boise, Idaho
4 posts
Restaurant bar dinner service?

Hello,

First time SOLO traveler to Vienna over Christmas. I was wondering if the Vienna restaurants have bars where you can walk in and have dinner at the bar. I am not a drinker but love to talk to other travelers and bartender over a nice meal. Thanks

4 replies to this topic
Vienna
Level Contributor
6,656 posts
72 reviews
1. Re: Restaurant bar dinner service?

People do not really sit and eat next to bars - sushi places and Irish pubs have that but not really Austrian or Italian restaurants.

Vienna, Austria
Destination Expert
for Vienna, Austria, Innsbruck
Level Contributor
26,695 posts
29 reviews
2. Re: Restaurant bar dinner service?

No, I haven't seen this kind of restaurant arrangement. Eating dinner alone at a restaurant also isn't that common here (in contrast to having lunch).

I would also be aware that "talking with strangers" isn't something that people normally do here, so you might receive some "unwelcoming" response if the other person is not in the mood.

Edited: 23 September 2018, 11:01
Burnley, United...
Destination Expert
for Vienna
Level Contributor
18,217 posts
104 reviews
3. Re: Restaurant bar dinner service?

Austrians and the Viennese are definitely not that in to striking up conversations with strangers. They will politely say hello, but you must look out for signs that they don’t want to extend the conversation. To do so if they have no interest would actually be considered impolite.

London, United...
Level Contributor
953 posts
46 reviews
4. Re: Restaurant bar dinner service?

As a solo traveller, there are certainly restaurants where you can have dinner without feeling awkward. However, you might find it easier to eat relatively early, and don't expect your fellow diners to actively involve you in their conversation. They will often say hello, and may acknowledge you when they get up to leave, but that's about it. Similarly, the waiters will be too busy to chat.

You may find other tourists are more sociable, but don't bank on it.

Reply to: Restaurant bar dinner service?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted